News:

Main Menu

XMF compatible proofer

Started by Trish, November 29, 2017, 01:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trish

Is there such a thing as a supported printer. Currently using the Epson 7880, but XMF does not support it. you can print to it, but to make a 2 sided proof required much thought (had to punch paper and use a pin bar).
The printer has clogged printheads, that will not clean...We have been down this road before, and I know that it is cheaper to buy a new one, then to get it fixed. I am looking for suggestions before I hit up the boss.

Thank you
Fuji XMF V5, Mac OS Sierra , Adobe CC, QuarkXpress 2017,  Epson SureColor P9000, Epson Surecolor P6000, Dart 4600S, Komori Lithrone 628, Komori SPICA 429, Heidelberg KORD, Xerox 1000, Xerox 1000i, Xante Impressia.

Joe

Quote from: Trish on November 29, 2017, 01:49:28 PMIs there such a thing as a supported printer. Currently using the Epson 7880, but XMF does not support it. you can print to it, but to make a 2 sided proof required much thought (had to punch paper and use a pin bar).
The printer has clogged printheads, that will not clean...We have been down this road before, and I know that it is cheaper to buy a new one, then to get it fixed. I am looking for suggestions before I hit up the boss.

Thank you

We are in the process of buying a system from Fuji. While we will be using it with Prinergy if Fuji is selling it you can be assured it can be used with XMF. It is around $15,000 for a one sided 24" printer which includes a PC RIP, the printer, and Oris Color Tuner. For a 2 sided 42" - 44" printer with the same RIP and color software it is around $60K. The 24" printer is an Epson and the 42" - 44" is a Canon.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

andyfest

We bought an Oris system through Fuji and it was installed by CGS. Fuji will def support the XMF option. Ours uses the Oris ColorTuner/Web option tied to an Epson 9900 (42 in). We also got the Dotscreen module when the system was installed so we have the option of pdf input for Contone proofs or 1 bit tiffs for screened proofs. Our system was about CAD$35K if I remember right.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

Farabomb

Since I've brought my 9800 back from the dead (blown carriage bearing) it is possible to replace the heads yourself.

I've also been building RC cars, models and racecars my whole life so I'm a bit mechanically inclined.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Tracy

Epson 9900 42" over here with XMF
I don't do 2 sided tho

mc hristel

Don't know about printer options for you but at a shop I used to work at we did backed up proofs on our Epson all the time and it's fairly simple. 
We used standard #80 uncoated stock cut down to the width the Epson could handle. 
After you print the first side, measure the distance from the right edge of the sheet to the trim marks on that side (I believe it is something like a .5 inch)
Trim the left side to match this and reload the same paper flipped.
Run your second side.
The backup is generally as good as the measurement and trim you did.

DCurry

I used to make backed-up proofs, too, but instead of mc hristel's method I would glue a small item (a flat Lego worked great) to the Epson where the white paper alignment line is and when I loaded a sheet I would make sure it butted up against the Lego. Print one side, then flip the sheet and re-load (again, butt up against the Lego) and print the second side.

Using this method it was important to accurately enter the sheet width into the rip (we used ORIS Color Tuner at the time). We'd have to tweak the width number a bit each time we opened a new box of paper, but for the most part our backups were within 1/16".
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Joe

Quote from: DCurry on November 30, 2017, 10:07:13 AMI used to make backed-up proofs, too, but instead of mc hristel's method I would glue a small item (a flat Lego worked great) to the Epson where the white paper alignment line is and when I loaded a sheet I would make sure it butted up against the Lego. Print one side, then flip the sheet and re-load (again, butt up against the Lego) and print the second side.

Using this method it was important to accurately enter the sheet width into the rip (we used ORIS Color Tuner at the time). We'd have to tweak the width number a bit each time we opened a new box of paper, but for the most part our backups were within 1/16".

Both methods sound better than shelling out +$33,000 for the two sided Canon proofer.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

AaronH

We have XMF and run an Epson 9900 through ORIS ColorTuner/Web. For two sided proofs, we print on roughly 60# HP paper and glue both sides together. It sucks but it gets the job done. I really like the lego piece and actually proofing on the sheet we're going to press with. Might be tough to get our old proof maker guy to do it that way though.
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

DCurry

It's way easier than gluing sheets together!
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Ear

I'm still running a Spinjet (Doubleproof). It is a 14 year old HP 5500 with the flipper attachment and RIP (old XP box). And I am the only one here who can get it to run. I have to babysit most of the proofs a little but I have it down to a science. I get reliable, 2 sided ROOM proofs.... it combines the rendered platesetter tiffs, descreens and backs them up. Prints on fairly heavy paper... in the .007, uncoated. I can print the full 16, 32, etc... page press sheets, fold, collate, stitch, trim and have a legit digital blueline.

I have replaced a lot of the major components in the HP. Started with the power source, then the carriage belt, the main motor drive, the printhead with full ink line replacement, and a few minor parts. We even purchased a second one from an auction, to use as a parts car. But all of the major parts were bought online, from a proofer refurb outfit. 
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

DigiCorn

Quote from: DCurry on December 07, 2017, 07:11:19 AMIt's way easier than gluing sheets together!
Thank Gawd I don't have to do that anymore. I don't miss it at all.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

scottrsimons

Quote from: DCurry on November 30, 2017, 10:07:13 AMI used to make backed-up proofs, too, but instead of mc hristel's method I would glue a small item (a flat Lego worked great) to the Epson where the white paper alignment line is and when I loaded a sheet I would make sure it butted up against the Lego. Print one side, then flip the sheet and re-load (again, butt up against the Lego) and print the second side.

We do the same here. We have GMG and Fiery pushing our Epson 9900s, but are looking for a better and faster option. We are looking into the IMPOProofer or possibly the DJet. Thanks Tracy - the Ninja Master for the heads up on this thread. Very helpful.
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

Trish

Thanks everyone. We ended up buying the Epson Surecolor 6000. We are putting it together now. Next step is to figure out the setup with XMF, and also how to pull back the color, since it will be used as an imposition proofer, not a high end color proofer. Then the fun will begin to set up a pin system to have it back up. yes...it can be done, just requires some thought and patience.
Fuji XMF V5, Mac OS Sierra , Adobe CC, QuarkXpress 2017,  Epson SureColor P9000, Epson Surecolor P6000, Dart 4600S, Komori Lithrone 628, Komori SPICA 429, Heidelberg KORD, Xerox 1000, Xerox 1000i, Xante Impressia.

Farabomb

Quote from: Trish on December 20, 2017, 07:23:59 AMjust requires some thought and patience.
That's common in prepress, hopefully your managers will leave you alone long enough to get it done. They only think in terms of rush. There is never enough time to do it right but always enough time to do it again.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job