Apple releases new Mac mini

Started by Joe, October 31, 2018, 08:46:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

People will be pissed when they buy the model that has 128 GB SSD and find out they can never upgrade that to a larger SSD.

:facepalm:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

wonderings

Quote from: Joe on October 31, 2018, 05:12:00 PMPeople will be pissed when they buy the model that has 128 GB SSD and find out they can never upgrade that to a larger SSD.

:facepalm:

Apple would hate for anyone to buy a cheaper model from them and then upgrade themselves and give someone else those upgrade dollars! Of course Apple is thinking about you the customer.

Joe

Quote from: wonderings on November 01, 2018, 06:25:21 AMApple would hate for anyone to buy a cheaper model from them and then upgrade themselves and give someone else those upgrade dollars! Of course Apple is thinking about you the customer.

Gold old Apple. Always thinking of me! So in 6 months I find that an i3 CPU, 8 GB of RAM, and 128 GB SSD isn't enough computer so I'll go back and spring for the $4,199 model. And thank Apple for the experience. Brilliant. It could only be better if I had to stand in line in the bitter cold wet winter weather for two days to do it.

scottrsimons

Internal HD space is not that much of an issue like it used to be, when you can buy a SSD external and plug it into via USB3, or Thunderbolt (whatever #).  But still these units are too much in comparison to the iMacs for my 2 cents.
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

Joe

USB3 would be a bit slower than what an SSD can do.

USB 3.0 has a maximum bandwidth rate of 5 gbps while an SSD can do 6 gbps. Not a lot slower but a bit.

An SSD external connected via Thunderbolt can do 10 gbps.

The extra cost of Thunderbolt may not be worth it though.

wonderings

Quote from: scottrsimons on November 01, 2018, 07:41:24 AMInternal HD space is not that much of an issue like it used to be, when you can buy a SSD external and plug it into via USB3, or Thunderbolt (whatever #).  But still these units are too much in comparison to the iMacs for my 2 cents.

Part of the draw of these machines is the size and how little of it they take up. Same goes for the iMac. If you then have to start plugging in externals for your space then externals for your backup, plus anything else you might need plugged in it gets to be a real mess and that really nice simple sleek design is now an unsightly mess.

That was one issue with the current Mac Pro, few people want to plug in tons of externals, especially when the previous design which was amazing, beautiful and functional, let you swap in drives incredibly quick and easy. Not even mentioning the cost difference of buying a hard drive and buying an external hard drive all ready to be plugged in.

Joe

wonderings

Trying to remember if that is similar to what I did years ago when I put in SSD's into 2 MacMinis. I remember I had to remove a lot just to get to where the hard drive is.

At least it can be done, though Apple is certainly not making it easy for the average user to be able to do.

https://youtu.be/2UrSLnnMyeg

Joe

I have replaced hard drives and ram in older mac minis and I never had to remove the logic (mother) board. It was a bit of a pain to get to the hard drive but nothing like this just for replacing the ram.

frailer

Quote from: wonderings on November 09, 2018, 07:46:55 AMTrying to remember if that is similar to what I did years ago when I put in SSD's into 2 MacMinis. I remember I had to remove a lot just to get to where the hard drive is.

At least it can be done, though Apple is certainly not making it easy for the average user to be able to do.

Our son did ours when the spinning one died. He's always been someone who could persevere for a long time until he got there.
If I'd tried it may have ended up on the floor in bits, with me alongside it in the foetal position, sobbing quietly.
I had to get the 'special toolkit' in first. It was quite the fiddle, apparently.

... made possible by a YouTube tute first, of course.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

wonderings

Quote from: frailer on November 11, 2018, 05:46:18 PM
Quote from: wonderings on November 09, 2018, 07:46:55 AMTrying to remember if that is similar to what I did years ago when I put in SSD's into 2 MacMinis. I remember I had to remove a lot just to get to where the hard drive is.

Our son did ours when the spinning one died. He's always been someone who could persevere for a long time until he got there.
If I'd tried it may have ended up on the floor in bits, with me alongside it in the foetal position, sobbing quietly.
I had to get the 'special toolkit' in first. It was quite the fiddle, apparently.

... made possible by a YouTube tute first, of course.

I found the mac mini hard drive upgrade pretty straightforward, just followed a youtube video that went step by step. Now what is causing me to curl up in the fetal position is setting up a 3D printer I bought. Had it all put together and ready to level and print only to find the cross bar was not level. So many parts, so many screws and it is all foreign and new to me. Have to began a little tare down to figure out how to solve that problem.

Everything else on a Mac looks pretty simply in comparison.

motormount

I think the last workstations worth their money was G4's, they were pricey as ever, but were easy to deal with -except for the cubes :-p  -

I don't think apple gives a penny for the graphic arts segment anymore, i wouldn't be surprised if i learned that desktop and laptop sold for strictly professional use wouldn't add up to more than 5% of apples total sales these days...

wonderings

Quote from: motormount on November 12, 2018, 01:02:09 PMI think the last workstations worth their money was G4's, they were pricey as ever, but were easy to deal with -except for the cubes :-p  -

I don't think apple gives a penny for the graphic arts segment anymore, i wouldn't be surprised if i learned that desktop and laptop sold for strictly professional use wouldn't add up to more than 5% of apples total sales these days...

They definitely do not care about the real pro market. If they did it would not have taken this long for their laptops to have more then 16 gigs of RAM. I loved the G4 design, I have 2 sitting in my basement collecting dust. I think they perfected it though with the Dual G5 tower. Amazing looking computer that I would say stands up to todays designs and super clean and easy to work with. Everything was right there and laid out much better then the G4.

motormount

I like their design better than g4'rs but they were much heavier and less roomier inside.

Intel macpro's were a little bit better in terms of ''architecture'' and those were the last pro macs i've seen inside printshops, when darth vader was announced they all gone to imac's ( or pc's ).

wonderings

Quote from: motormount on November 13, 2018, 12:14:28 PMI like their design better than g4'rs but they were much heavier and less roomier inside.

Intel macpro's were a little bit better in terms of ''architecture'' and those were the last pro macs i've seen inside printshops, when darth vader was announced they all gone to imac's ( or pc's ).

We started with the old beige G3's this was before I officially worked in our shop (family business). When I started working I was a bit more aggressive in getting us up to date computer wise. We went from a one mac and multiple PC shop to 99.99% Mac save for a dedicated XP machine for a RIP that is still going strong after 10 years. Went to the Dual G4's and after that I kept one dual g4 workstation and I moved to a MacBook pro and then eventually upgraded both workstations to iMacs. Definitely better bang for the buck in my opinion considering the display that came with them. Even better now with the 5K considering it was the same price as a Mac Pro and equally specced for the what I need it to do and has a 5K monitor, adding that to a Mac Pro shoots the price up another couple thousand. I was hoping Apple was going to announce something last event but looks like there will be no talk about it till next year... if then. The supposed love and care Apple says they still have for the pro market seems to be all talk to keep pro users strung along.