I just thought, I should share this

Started by Lyzan, July 16, 2014, 04:50:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lyzan

When I was introduced to XMF for the first time, the first thing I noticed is how hard it was to manage the gutters. Even my brief general orientation with Fujifilm trainor was not able to show me this when I asked for it.

Right-clicking the Overlay icon in Imposition view gives a lot of useful option to help controlling the gutters.

frailer

At home now, so can't do screenshot, but not sure what you mean by "hard to manage... gutters". In the Gutters sub-head area, you can change the interface via the little crosshatch icon/button. Key in your gutter widths... good to go.
I'll check again when in front of XMF tomorrow, see how you're travelling.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Ear

You can modify gutters in the Signature tab of the imposition view. It is quite foreign, coming from Preps, but works very well once you get used to it. I find it much faster than Preps now that I work in it. You can adjust gutters as a whole or click the grid icon and adjust each hemisphere on its own.

"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Ear

I noticed you have a large page count imposed and are messing with gutters. This will be a LOT of work, as it will probably not apply your gutter changes to all forms and you will have to do it manually... which takes us back to your post about pagination in another thread.

It is best to paginate one form, get your gutters and all matters stripping set, then copy the form and flow pages. I think "flow pages" is what you mean by auto page mapping.

Here is that 16 page multi web again, for example. You can see that I have just paginated 1-16. I can now copy this form and it will automate all pages, if I use the "flow" feature. You can start with the 16 and copy it to 32, 48, etc... and it does it for you.

"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Lyzan

Thanks.

The screen grabbed imposition is actually a total of 128pp in 10 signatures on 150 gsm paper, per signature is tailored and stack then padded for binding. Each signature is cut and fold (F-4) and stitched (tailored). I did it in a hard way, but still easier in XMF than the Preps.

The funny thing about it is I just found out that is a lot more easier if I used the assembly section.

//Lyzan

Lyzan

BTW, my version of Preps  doesn't have the assembly.

Ear

Gotcha. Most binding styles can be paginated with Saddle Stitch or Perfect Bound, even if there aren't actual staples or glue being used.

Your impo looks like it would fall into this category.

The attached screenshot shows a side of a 72 page SS book. I did not paginate all 72 pages but rather a single 16 page sig. It changed page 16 to 72, 9 to 65, and so on, upon copying the sig and flowing pages.

Lyzan