Video card upgrade

Started by Farabomb, March 16, 2016, 09:44:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farabomb

I'm running a Mac Pro 2x 2g Dual core Xenon with 10.6.8 Senior leopard. I have a 250g SSD for my system drive, 1TB for storage and numerous externals for archiving and TM backups. I know it's an old box but it's still working fine and I doubt I will be able to get the money for a new one. I might be able to wiggle some upgrade money though. I've noticed some issues opening files with high quality enabled lately.

I presently have a GeForce 7300 GT with 256mb of memory in a PCIe slot. Would upgrading the video card be worth it? I'm familiar with gaming cards more than workstation cards. I'm thinking a card with a bunch more memory should help with the display slowdowns. I need at least 2 outputs for my 2 monitors. I did find this page with options for upgrades. I may have issues finding the cards as they are so old. Is it worth it or will I not see much improvement?
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote10.6.8 Senior leopard.

:lmao:

I don't think you will see a lot of improvement, maybe some with just more memory, unless the card has it's own fast GPU for processing and leaving the CPU alone. But buying a new one with Snow Leopard drivers might be a problem.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

My thought is to upgrade the OS and just run SN and preps in a VM. I have chrome yelling that it won't upgrade anymore because the OS is too old. I know I need to at least become somewhat current but I don't want to pay the $$$$$$$$$$$ Kodak wants if I upgrade.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on March 16, 2016, 11:05:53 AMMy thought is to upgrade the OS and just run SN and preps in a VM. I have chrome yelling that it won't upgrade anymore because the OS is too old. I know I need to at least become somewhat current but I don't want to pay the $$$$$$$$$$$ Kodak wants if I upgrade.

You will not be happy running Snow Leopard/Preps in a VM. If you can even get it working. You won't get any support from any of the VM vendors for plain Snow Leopard. The only thing you can legally use, and get support for, in a VM is Snow Leopard Server. I did manage to get it to install Snow Leopard in a VirtualBox PM but the graphics driver only allowed a very low resolution. Some weird number 740 x 512. And it was extremely S-L-O-O-O-O-O-W....and crashed a lot. But good luck.

Farabomb

Welp, screw that idea.

Does preps run on windows? I'll bet I don't have the windows version anyway. Preps is the only thing holding me back from upgrading. I know the boss will not upgrade preps or anything else until it catches on fire and refuses to boot. It took me years and tons of wasted plates to convince him we need a new platesetter. I'm still waiting on that one.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on March 16, 2016, 11:14:42 AMWelp, screw that idea.

Does preps run on windows? I'll bet I don't have the windows version anyway. Preps is the only thing holding me back from upgrading. I know the boss will not upgrade preps or anything else until it catches on fire and refuses to boot. It took me years and tons of wasted plates to convince him we need a new platesetter. I'm still waiting on that one.

You should still be able to download Preps 5.3 for Windows and move your dongle over. Should work OK other than Preps for Windows is ugly as hell. If you don't have an account for downloading I can get it for you.

Farabomb

No dongle here, floating licence. I'll go take a look to see if I have it for windows. That might work.

Than again the windows box we have here is EOL as well.

But it works so there is no reason to upgrade.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on March 16, 2016, 11:40:23 AMNo dongle here, floating licence. I'll go take a look to see if I have it for windows. That might work.

Than again the windows box we have here is EOL as well.

But it works so there is no reason to upgrade.

You should be able to use it if it is on the network then.