"Cracking" PhSh files in PDFs

Started by frailer, September 23, 2007, 06:00:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Ever tried to open that pesky/ugly PhSh file from a PDF; [Tools>Advanced Editing>TouchUp Objects Tool; Opt/double click to open in PhSh~adjust in same layer~Save back into PDF].
Ever had the "PhSh cannot open file_unsupported ColorSpace"; or words to that effect. This has been covered before in a previous forum, [now where would that have been?]; one solution being that, usually, it's because the file is indexed...you can do a very close-to-original resample via PSP Inspector Panel and it dumps the index; then you can open it.
Well, what if it's not indexed, and you can't open it after a resample anyway? Tripped over this in, of all places, GUA Forums, while trying to resolve a PREPS problem. Wandering around the rest of the forum and found it. Here's the "other" solution, but you need PitStop Pro.

Select the PhSh image with the PSP Select Tool, then go Edit>Enfocus Layer>Bring Forward, [or send Back...it's trial and error]. After each Bring or Send, try opening again as described in top line. I 've had a problem PDF with such an image awaiting a resolution of this. kept it in my "I'll attend to you later" folder. I managed to crack it first go. Supposedly the reason you can't open it is because the image info can't be read; it's on an unreachable layer. Once you move it, you can.

As the Count of Monte Christo summed it up: "Wait, and hope".
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

prepressDog

Joe

I've also seen this when the image is listed as Monochrome Black or Duotone by Pitstop Pro. Changing the color space to gray will then allow me to open it. Of course you lose the duotone color if you do this.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

chris_r

great tips, filing those away in the "next time i see this" file.  we run into this stuff a lot.

cr

frailer

Quotewe run into this stuff a lot 

The main thing to remember, when you do get it open is, no new layers. That way, it'll save straight back into the PDF. In my [short] experience, its usually a quick Auto Levels/Curves adjust anyway, or a quick zap with one of the history Brushes.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.