PostScript Type 1 fonts end of support

Started by Joe, February 25, 2021, 03:51:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: Joe on September 24, 2021, 06:42:11 AM
Quote from: born2print on March 05, 2021, 09:48:05 AM
Losing these people hurts and I'm sorry.
I feel like I am just on the cusp of "that age"  :o

You think about weird things at this age. For example we ran out of q-tips. Bought a new large package. First thing in my mind was "I'll be dead before these are all gone". :rotf:

Prolly your earwax production will increase as you age. You may need cases of Q-tips soon.

:gom:

born2print

You think about weird things at this age. For example we ran out of q-tips. Bought a new large package. First thing in my mind was "I'll be dead before these are all gone". :rotf:
I have same-same-but-different thoughts every time I build a fence, add a roof, paint... can I make this last longer than me?
:rotf:
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

madbugger

Quote from: Joe on September 24, 2021, 06:44:05 AM
Quote from: madbugger on September 23, 2021, 04:15:06 PM
I have currently been going thru our font library and converting all Type 1 fonts to OTF using FontXChange.

Having about 90% success rate, which is far better than the alternative.

10% failure rate would worry me. We're just slowly trying to substitute fonts to similar fonts from the Creative Cloud library. Workplace will be paying for that forever anyway.

Of that 10%, most would be in failure of meta data to correctly update , so that all weights of the font would come out labelled roman for instance, but old still display correctly ie. xxxx roman is actually bold, italic, medium etc.

Most are obscure fonts that may have not been used for years anyway, and have been either sourced elsewhere as ttf or otf, or retired.
If you don't like my comment, ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore it, message me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate how.
— Madbugger

Some people say you gotta die some day, I got news, you never gotta go
— Ted Nugent

Joe

Quote from: born2print on September 24, 2021, 10:29:55 AM

I have same-same-but-different thoughts every time I build a fence, add a roof, paint... can I make this last longer than me?

Short answer is no. You have to do it one more time. Then die the next day. No sir...couldn't have died two days earlier! :angry:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

Quote from: Joe on September 24, 2021, 01:00:39 PM
Quote from: born2print on September 24, 2021, 10:29:55 AM

Short answer is no. You have to do it one more time. Then die the next day. No sir...couldn't have died two days earlier! :angry:
We're at that age with my 86yo father in law. He has both legs amputated and two prosthetics, and thinks he will walk again... trouble is he refuses to do the rehab/physical therapy and is too crotchety now to be told otherwise. He just thinks it's going to happen.

They have to buy a new handicapped accessible vehicle, so yesterday I arranged a demo for a valet lift seat that extends out from the car, you transfer from the wheelchair to the seat and it lifts you in. He was too difficult to handle. They were dead set against a wheelchair van. The guy brought a wheelchair van out to demo also, and because it was far less hassle, everyone loved it. Then he started bitching about the cost, even though the VA is going to pay for 50-70% of it.

Fucker, you're 86 with one (amputated) foot in the grave; we practically lost you twice in the past couple years. We're arranging transportation for you to get a small semblance of life back, which might be need for 6 weeks.... or 6 months.... or 6 years.... and you don't have to do a thing. So quit being a grumpy old man already.

They literally got almost enough to pay for the van in full, in cash, deposited into their checking account by the VA when they upped his military disability from 80% to 100% and back paid him. And, long story, but my MIL totaled my car, and she wants to buy a new one in addition to the wheelchair van so that she has her own personal enjoyment and freedom that's not an old person vehicle.

In reparation for my '09 Accord in perfect condition with new tires, new brakes, newly rebuilt engine (recall repair for free) and only 82,000 miles, they gave me their '17 Rav4 fully loaded. I hate it; I want my Accord back.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on September 24, 2021, 05:41:43 PMFucker, you're 86 with one (amputated) foot in the grave; we practically lost you twice in the past couple years. We're arranging transportation for you to get a small semblance of life back, which might be need for 6 weeks.... or 6 months.... or 6 years.... and you don't have to do a thing. So quit being a grumpy old man already.

In his defense...you get grumpy in old age. Everything just pisses you off.

scottrsimons

Quote from: DigiCorn on September 24, 2021, 05:41:43 PM
So quit being a grumpy old man already.
Might be the reason he is still around.
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

Tracy

yeah in his defense, there is nothing wrong with agreeing with him that he will walk again.
thank you for helping him.

Joe

Good info about Type 1 fonts being unsupported in the future by Adobe.

Tracy

I get busy and I know I should replace fonts on some jobs, It's going to cause a problem someday
maybe I need to just do it!
one job in particular I will be glad when I get rid of the old Futura, that font sure can cause a problem sometimes!

C2V

Not going to be a popular position... but sure glad we outline our fonts on jobs prior to rip/trap.
No need to worry about them if changes are requested.
and... we open the final trapped .pdfs in Illustrator if art or copy changes are needed  *gasp*  (via Esko Plugin)

I have read Dov's and Gordos exhaustive posts about how outlining fonts is bad and how opening .pdfs in illustrator is bad but its how every company i have ever worked for has been doing it  for 16+ years.
Never had a single issue yet (that anyone/ the customer have noticed and no issues on press or with the printed carton)

Unless we need to change the copy... then its a terrible practice.
If this occurs we pray the customer supplied fonts with their source art.. most don't and supply either corrupted fonts or no fonts or outlined files... its a mixed bag.
If some of the supplied fonts are PS Type 1.. we get to say, nope sorry as of X date these fonts are no longer supported and will not load in our creative suite. please supply new art.
(I work in packaging)

Now our current font library ... guess i should take a look at see whats in Suitcase Fusion 6

Joe

If Dov was dead he would be rolling in his grave. :tombstone:

I outline fonts as necessary with Pitstop. I don't lose any sleep over it. There are not enough hours in the day to outline all fonts in all jobs on all pages that we do.

As far as illustrator we don't do that because we have no need to. Acrobat and Pitstop will fix most everything.

C2V

Quote from: Joe on December 02, 2021, 12:15:03 PM
If Dov was dead he would be rolling in his grave. :tombstone:

I outline fonts as necessary with Pitstop. I don't lose any sleep over it. There are not enough hours in the day to outline all fonts in all jobs on all pages that we do.

As far as illustrator we don't do that because we have no need to. Acrobat and Pitstop will fix most everything.

Indeed he would be.
(sorry!, not sorry..)

I work on one file at a time and outlining is just part of the final steps, so it's probably different for say magazine, book or calendar work.. never worked on anything but packaging.

Pitstop we had installed at a prior workplace and no one ever used it, or even mentioned it and no training was ever done on it (tho we had 2 full licenses..)  (was using Pinergy workflow)

Currently it looks like we once had pitstop here but no longer and trying to get management to fork over the minor $$$ for it and training is like pulling teeth. (Esko workflow)
It seems like an amazing tool.. wish I knew more about it.

For changes on files here it's mostly just copy changes, copy position changes, image replacement or colour corrections.
I'm sure Pitstop can do all this but I'll never know  :cry:

also, congrats on the retirement at the end of the year. :)