Editing PDFs with illustrator Good or BAD?

Started by Exploded, April 11, 2008, 08:03:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Exploded

Hello all, I am very happy to find another prepress community on the web, I thought all was lost when prepress forums sold out but then I found you guys  :cheesy:

Anyway, I have just joined a new company where to my horror everyone seems to be editing pdfs using illustrator. I have always considered this dangerous and I have always used pitstop or gone back to the original file to do the edits.

Is editing pdfs with illustrator a safe practice ?

DigitalCrapShoveler

I only do it as a last resort. It can be problematic depending on the originating application used to generate the PDF. Fonts play a major role, as well as transparencies and images. I have had instances where AI was not the way to go, and other times where AI was THE ONLY way to go. It's a crap shoot. I can't imagine working like that, it seems so 1990 hack.
Member #285 - Civilian

jimking

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on April 11, 2008, 08:32:13 AMI only do it as a last resort. It can be problematic depending on the originating application used to generate the PDF. Fonts play a major role, as well as transparencies and images. I have had instances where AI was not the way to go, and other times where AI was THE ONLY way to go. It's a crap shoot. I can't imagine working like that, it seems so 1990 hack.
Ditto.

almaink

If I'm forced to use Illustrator and there are a few times when I do, like for centering text, I convert all fonts in the PDF to outlines first. That way no issues with fonts.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

beermonster

well you can bit it doesnt mean you should

i'm real careful if i do - all the above reasons count.

i'm reasonably confident if the pdf was generated in illy that i can edit it in illy - if not i got me oris pdf tuner to rip the bloody thing apart
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

ninjaPB_43

Exploded, here's what you do you.  Research multiple threads from here as well as the ppf archives, print out a few pages of posts where lots of different people tell the pitfalls of always opening pdf's into Illy, and anonymously leave said printed out info on EVERYONE'S desk with a yellow sticky note that says. "Im watching you!"

:stooges:
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

Joe

Sometimes ya gotta do what you gotta do. User beware though. Adobe will even tell you that Illustrator is NOT a PDF editor. Occasionally I open them in Photoshop tbut that's not recommended either.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

Similarly, I once received a bunch of EPS files from a "designer" and upon opening them in Illy they looked dramatically different from the hard copies I was given - different colors, objects sitting way off the artboard...

Finally it occurred to me to ask designer what he used to create the files. Freehand. So be careful with that too.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: gnubler on April 11, 2008, 10:24:43 AMSimilarly, I once received a bunch of EPS files from a "designer" and upon opening them in Illy they looked dramatically different from the hard copies I was given - different colors, objects sitting way off the artboard...

Finally it occurred to me to ask designer what he used to create the files. Freehand. So be careful with that too.

That is exactly why when you get an EPS with a generic icon, you should open the file in TextEdit. Read the opening tag, and then you ARE sure. Although FH and AI are owned by the same company...Adobe, they are very different applications.

I just don't like talking to customers unless I HAVE to.
Member #285 - Civilian

gnubler

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on April 11, 2008, 10:27:54 AMI just don't like talking to customers unless I HAVE to.

Igualmente, that's why I pooped around with it for a few hours until breaking down and succumbing to the wrath of the professional designer.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: gnubler on April 11, 2008, 10:31:53 AM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on April 11, 2008, 10:27:54 AMI just don't like talking to customers unless I HAVE to.

Igualmente, that's why I pooped around with it for a few hours until breaking down and succumbing to the wrath of the professional designer.

I hear ya Gnub... been there way too many times. To the point I have to force myself to give up and succumb.
Member #285 - Civilian

tuff_gong

I posted on another board about editing pdfs in AI, and Matt Bealls went all caps on me.
"Cops Nab Co-Eds in Pot Orgy"

ninjaPB_43

OH SNAP!  ALL CAPS!!  THAT JUST AINT RIGHT.
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

gnubler

Quote from: tuff_gong on April 11, 2008, 11:38:55 AMI posted on another board about editing pdfs in AI, and Matt Bealls went all caps on me.

That is the funniest thing I've read today.

Joe

Quote from: tuff_gong on April 11, 2008, 11:38:55 AMI posted on another board about editing pdfs in AI, and Matt Bealls went all caps on me.

Well Matt is the official Guardian of PDF ya know... :grin:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.