Clipping path of linked TIFF

Started by gnubler, April 28, 2008, 05:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ear

Should work. Are you placing on a box that is colored with a SPOT color or just a CMYK build? Spot Color+Transparency = trouble, yo.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Earendil on May 13, 2008, 02:06:10 PMShould work. Are you placing on a box that is colored with a SPOT color or just a CMYK build? Spot Color+Transparency = trouble, yo.

If it has a path, it shouldn't matter. I know you know how to save a path with a tiff Gnub, so I am wondering WTF is going on.
Member #285 - Civilian

Ear

You know, I was thinking about it and since the Adobe apps are playing well with each other in native format these days, why not use .psd? It will work for sure then. Psd works fine in Indy too. I mean hell, even native AI is now PDF....
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

DigitalCrapShoveler

I agree 100%, but Gnub wants tiff w/path, I give her tiff w/path help. :death:
Member #285 - Civilian

G_Town

Quote from: Earendil on May 13, 2008, 02:14:29 PMI mean hell, even native AI is now PDF....

Only if you make it PDF compatible then it will include a PDF in the ai file otherwise it is still just an illy file

http://rwillustrator.blogspot.com/2006/11/whats-in-file.html

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: G_Town on May 13, 2008, 02:20:33 PM
Quote from: Earendil on May 13, 2008, 02:14:29 PMI mean hell, even native AI is now PDF....

Only if you make it PDF compatible then it will include a PDF in the ai file otherwise it is still just an illy file

http://rwillustrator.blogspot.com/2006/11/whats-in-file.html

I believe Laurens commented on this once, he said, if I recall correctly, that AI IS resident in AI PDFs no matter if that option is checked or not. I could be wrong.
Member #285 - Civilian

gnubler

Ok, so I'm doing this test again. Luckily I seldom bring raster artwork into Illy so it's not a big issue - I just want to confirm that Illy isn't going to see my TIFF's clipping path, or that I'm just retarded.

Drew a magenta box, process not spot. Placed a grayscale TIFF with a clipping path, linked, put it on top of magenta box. Choosing to embed it in the Links palette doesn't reveal its path. Choosing Object>Rasterize I check all the options listed in my above post and I get this error:

"The selection contains raster objects, which will be re-rasterized but not added to the clipping mask"

I click ok and nothing has changed except the TIFF is now embedded. No path.

BTW, I think I mentioned earlier the reason why I'm working with TIFFs instead of PSDs is because we have a huge archive of grayscale TIFFs, most with clipping paths, that we pull from and use for artwork. We like TIFFs better because they can easily be recolored in InDesign, whereas PSDs cannot. It's just a pain to go make all these TIFFs transparent PSDs with layer masks or whatever.

So yay or nay? TIFF clipping path recognized in Illy?
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Ear

Yep, you have some very valid reasons for wanting to work with tiff. I just went and messed with it and you're right, it's not recognizing my tiff paths either. It does make sense to me why it wouldn't, I mean a tiff is just a tagged image, why would it have any vector or path data? EPS and PSD have postscript info built in, and therefore retain more than just pixel data, also why the files are so big. I would think one would have to check something extra in the save as tiff box to embed vector data and coordinates in an image file and I don't see anything that would allow that. I might be wrong tho, if there is a way I would love to know it.

gnubler

But Indy has no problem seeing paths in TIFFs, hence my questioning.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Ear

Quote from: gnubler on May 13, 2008, 02:48:29 PMBut Indy has no problem seeing paths in TIFFs, hence my questioning.

Good point... hell, I must be having a second monday... I need a Rockstar to kick start the brain.  :tongue:

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Earendil on May 13, 2008, 02:52:14 PM
Quote from: gnubler on May 13, 2008, 02:48:29 PMBut Indy has no problem seeing paths in TIFFs, hence my questioning.

Good point... hell, I must be having a second monday... I need a Rockstar to kick start the brain.  :tongue:

I have tried to do the same thing, not happening. WTF? I could have swore I had this working last week. Let me dig around some more, I did find this...

Note: If you import an EPS or DCS file with a TIFF preview into Adobe Illustrator, the image clipping path transparency may not display properly. This affects the on-screen preview only; it does not affect the printing behavior of the image clipping path on a PostScript printer.
Member #285 - Civilian

DigitalCrapShoveler

Doesn't matter, I have tried just about everything I know... it still don't work. Ash says he does this all the time, if his job went through my Prep department, all the tiffs with paths would have got resaved as PSDs... I hate paths in tiffs!
Member #285 - Civilian

gnubler

Ash, still there? Can you elaborate on what you did to get Illy to recognize paths in placed TIFFs? What version of Illy? No one else here seems to be able to replicate this, whether the TIFF is linked, embedded, or whatever.

Ear

Seriously Ash, we're at a loss on this one. If you know how then throw down brutha, hook us up!  :smiley:

Joe

Same here with CS3 Illy. Not recognizing the path in a tiff file.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.