Illy CS3 changes a color when saving PDF

Started by ninjaPB_43, July 09, 2008, 11:12:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ninjaPB_43

Not sure if this goes in Illy, but it makes the most sense to me. The file is from Illy CS3.

Our art director just got burned on some stuff printed at another printer..  Here's the scenario: 

a 4 page insert and the PDF was fine (we must not have 
caught the error on printer proofs) but after it printed  on one of 
the coupons the brown text on the beige background was dropped off....

She sent me the files(both the original .AI and her .PDF she sent to the printer.)

In the .AI file I found that the "beige background" was set to PMS 616 with a "Hue" blending mode. The text on top of it was set to a CMYK mix for a brown. There's only one layer, and on that one layer, the text is infact on top(front of) the beige back ground.  There are 3 of these in a row.  The middle one, is the one that disappeared on press.  I started going through the .PDF next with Pitstop and here's what I discovered(im attaching pictures to show.)

In pitstop, when I click on
the type(attached picture 1) the type is designated as spot
616, and so is the box behind it(attached picture 2), this is
what caused it to disappear.  The other two coupon headers
show the type as a CMYK mix(attached picture 4).

So, my question is, any of yous got any idea why Illustrator did this to the text when saving out as a .PDF?  Anyone else seen anything like this?  Crazy mannnnn..  Crazy.

:ninja:

People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

ninjaPB_43

People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

ninjaPB_43

ninjaPB_43

It's crazy that you can even see the text on - screen if it is the same spot color...   

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian

Ear

Yeah, I've seen things like this before but I'm thinking it falls into the 'short term memory' category.  :rolleyes: I want the PDF or the original Illustrator file.... Email yo!
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

LRob

ninjaPB_43

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: LRob on July 09, 2008, 11:32:56 AMI bet the problem is the "Hue" setting

yes, most likely, but why wouldn't it do it to all three coupon headers?  they are all three set the same.

Joe

Quote from: LRob on July 09, 2008, 11:32:56 AMI bet the problem is the "Hue" setting

I agree. The text in that last attachment is visually different than the text on each side of it. Probably a case of a designer messing with settings they have no idea what they do.

Also, was the type gone on the proof too?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: Earendil on July 09, 2008, 11:31:49 AMYeah, I've seen things like this before but I'm thinking it falls into the 'short term memory' category.  :rolleyes: I want the PDF or the original Illustrator file.... Email yo!

coming right up..   

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Ear

So, are you printing as CMYK or actually inking up the spot? If you're going CMYK, I would convert that spot in illustrator then place AI in InDesign. Converting spot to process in the PDF is easy but causes many problems when transparency is involved.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: Joe on July 09, 2008, 11:36:07 AM

I agree. The text in that last attachment is visually different than the text on each side of it. Probably a case of a designer messing with settings they have no idea what they do.

Also, was the type gone on the proof too?

On-screen soft proofing is all that was done, and artist says it may have gotten by her. Printer says soft proof already removed from Insite.  I don't think its a question of responsibility or fault, per se.  she admits it is her ass here,

I posted because I could not find ANY differences in the 3 coupon headers in the .AI, but they are definitely different in the resulting PDF..