Illy CS3 changes a color when saving PDF

Started by ninjaPB_43, July 09, 2008, 11:12:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ninjaPB_43

People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

ninjaPB_43

Joe, did you get both emails, the first one kicked back.

edit:the daemon is tellin gme yo inbox be full yo..    :laugh: :laugh:

oops, 2nd one just kicked back too.
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

Joe

Quote from: ninjaPB_43 on July 09, 2008, 11:40:54 AM
Quote from: Joe on July 09, 2008, 11:36:07 AM
Quote from: LRob on July 09, 2008, 11:32:56 AMI bet the problem is the "Hue" setting

I agree. The text in that last attachment is visually different than the text on each side of it. Probably a case of a designer messing with settings they have no idea what they do.

Also, was the type gone on the proof too?

On-screen soft proofing is all that was done, and artist says it may have gotten by her. Printer says soft proof already removed from Insite.  I don't think its a question of responsibility or fault, per se.  she admits it is her ass here,

I posted because I could not find ANY differences in the 3 coupon headers in the .AI, but they are definitely different in the resulting PDF.. 

I wasn't referring to responsibility or fault but I thought maybe a proof might show it differently through it's RIP than your plate RIP. Just goes to show though that just when you think you've got this business figured out...you really don't! :laugh: Always something new popping up.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Joe

ninjaPB_43

DigitalCrapShoveler

The only thing I can say is it is definitely a transparency issue. I tried flattening it in AI, with the spot color intact, it jacks it up. I do the same thing after I convert the spot... good to go. The leave pattern, with the gradient, with the spot is causing some hair-brain shit!

The preview of the PDF in my mail shows the problem right away. Try to see it in Acroshat, looks fine, even though it displays all the same stuff your preview above shows.

CONVERT SPOT TO PROCESS, my fix.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

The text that disappeared is in there twice. If you select it with Pitstop it shows as PMS. If you delete it the text is still there and shows like in the following attachment. Still doesn't explain why yet. Still digging.

delooch

i was guessing this is a flattening issue, and how its interacting with that spot color. good luck!

ninjaPB_43

I got another bounce back from your email Joe..   did you get both the .AI and the .PDF?

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: delooch on July 09, 2008, 11:54:18 AMi was guessing this is a flattening issue, and how its interacting with that spot color. good luck!

me too, but again doesnt explain why the outside two didnt do the same, just the middle coupon header. 

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on July 09, 2008, 11:52:28 AMThe only thing I can say is it is definitely a transparency issue. I tried flattening it in AI, with the spot color intact, it jacks it up. I do the same thing after I convert the spot... good to go. The leave pattern, with the gradient, with the spot is causing some hair-brain shit!

The preview of the PDF in my mail shows the problem right away. Try to see it in Acroshat, looks fine, even though it displays all the same stuff your preview above shows.

CONVERT SPOT TO PROCESS, my fix.

agreed, artist said she doesnt know why she set it as a spot to begin with, but they go through about 500 ads a month for this magazine, she was probably going too fast, and not paying well enough attention because it indeed prints in 4-color process. 

still doesnt address the issue of why all three headers didnt act the same way upon saving out a PDF.

Joe

Quote from: ninjaPB_43 on July 09, 2008, 11:54:56 AMI got another bounce back from your email Joe..   did you get both the .AI and the .PDF?

No, just the PDF. How big is the .ai file?

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: Joe on July 09, 2008, 12:00:25 PM
Quote from: ninjaPB_43 on July 09, 2008, 11:54:56 AMI got another bounce back from your email Joe..   did you get both the .AI and the .PDF?

No, just the PDF. How big is the .ai file?

9.2MB

Joe

Try again. My mailbox is only 10 mb so I have comnpletely emptied it now. It should go through.

Joe

Drilling down through the PDF I'm finding that line of text ins in there 3 times. Once as spot, once as the CMYK shading object I posted above and once as the CMYK breakdown the same as the other two. There are also boxes around that type that are white, and the spot color. I think when it RIPs the spot box is overiding all of the other objects.