Illy CS3 changes a color when saving PDF

Started by ninjaPB_43, July 09, 2008, 11:12:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Quote from: ninjaPB_43 on July 09, 2008, 07:19:16 PMThanks Joe.  I told her earlier in an email that in the future it'd be best to do 2 things. 1.)Set the "tint" correctly, as a "tint" instead of as a blending mode(in this instance the resulting color would have been similar/close enough with 45% of that PMS 616 with blending mode at Normal, and opacity at 100%), and 2.) exactly what you just said about version of .PDF. 

I really appreciate all the help everyone, as usual, TOP SHELF MASTERS! :ninja:

The problem I see with that is telling a designer how to design. I don't think it's wrong to use a blending mode. It works if PDF'd to a more updated version of PDF.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

ninjaPB_43

So should it have been more of a suggestion?  A blending mode is fine if its not used to represent a tint? What was the intent with the blending mode in this case? Why not just use a tint?  Why flirt with disaster? I agree with you, its more about the version of .PDF..

luckily the artist/designer works in here at our mother company and is a real sweetheart and probably didn't take it as me telling her how to design, but I should keep that knowledge handy in case of an outside client needing to be "dealt with"..  :wink:
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

Joe

Looking at it in illustrator at first glance it looked like she just wanted an overprint (or multiply) but if you try all three you will see a difference in the way the background shows through. Now I don't know if this was a specific effect she was going after or just not knowing how to do overprint and she stumbled upon hue. If it was the latter then yeah, show her overprint. :laugh:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Designers just get click-happy.

"Ooooohhhh neato - HUE, this makes my gold spot color more golder! How cool is that?!?" Click, click, click, "Oh wow, look what the gold does when I.... (Telephone rings) Hello, Oh hi Jill, yeah I am working on this file I was supposed to have three days ago... I know I just started it, isn't that funny?!? (Saves file without taking the 15 effects she just applied to a spot colored box) Yeah, I gotta go, Oprah's on... Kisses!" (Now she frantically looks around for her suitcase, she is leaving on vacation in 2 hours.)

"Hello, yes ACME printing, I need a proof in one hour on this really hot job that got dumped on me at the last minute...."

And the cycle repeats itself and a Prepress guy hangs by the neck until he is dead, but smiling.
Member #285 - Civilian

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on July 10, 2008, 12:07:59 PMDesigners just get click-happy.

"Ooooohhhh neato - HUE, this makes my gold spot color more golder! How cool is that?!?" Click, click, click, "Oh wow, look what the gold does when I.... (Telephone rings) Hello, Oh hi Jill, yeah I am working on this file I was supposed to have three days ago... I know I just started it, isn't that funny?!? (Saves file without taking the 15 effects she just applied to a spot colored box) Yeah, I gotta go, Oprah's on... Kisses!" (Now she frantically looks around for her suitcase, she is leaving on vacation in 2 hours.)

"Hello, yes ACME printing, I need a proof in one hour on this really hot job that got dumped on me at the last minute...."

And the cycle repeats itself and a Prepress guy hangs by the neck until he is dead, but smiling.

Only if it weren't so true..   :sigh:    actually a very accurate(almost scarily accurate, make me think you are in fact a 20something deeesinger scarily accurate) depiction.  :laugh:
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: Joe on July 10, 2008, 11:52:14 AMLooking at it in illustrator at first glance it looked like she just wanted an overprint (or multiply) but if you try all three you will see a difference in the way the background shows through. Now I don't know if this was a specific effect she was going after or just not knowing how to do overprint and she stumbled upon hue. If it was the latter then yeah, show her overprint. :laugh:

In this case, I believe she just wanted the color to be a lighter shade of the spot.