Illustrator as a PDF editor

Started by ratintrap, June 05, 2010, 07:52:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ratintrap

"Illustrator is not a PDF editor."

I've heard this many times on the forum here. So, what are the issues that could arise if someone did do this?

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Grimace

'Ol Dov's comment up there was from 2007, does this philosophy still hold true?
Because I use Illustrator to edit PDFs all the time. Or was he just talking text?

And if Illustrator files aren't PDFs, how come I can change the extension of an Ilustrator file to .pdf and have it open in Acrobat?

Joe

I'm pretty sure his philosophy hasn't changed.

He is talking about all objects, not just text.

I assume Acrobat does a conversion on the fly but I'm no engineer. You'd need to ask 'Ol Dov that one.

Edit: The post from Dov was made in 2009. 2007 was the date he joined that forum.

ratintrap

Lets say that "hypothetically" there is an ad PDF that was produced in-house that we need to outline the fonts on. It would be quicker (but not as safe :undecided:) to do that in Illustrator than to do it in Acrobat 9 (have to use a workaround to do it in Acrobat). This PDF was not created in Illustrator. Would something like this where we have all the fonts used be safe to do in Illustrator? From what Dov says, it sounds like the answer is no.

Tracy

I think we all do some editing in illy from pdf's
I think you just have to check that nothing went wrong.

Joe

I agree with Tracy. A good prepress person knows what to watch for. And I promise not to tell Dov. :wink:

Syphon

Quote from: ratintrap on June 05, 2010, 09:34:29 AMLets say that "hypothetically" there is an ad PDF that was produced in-house that we need to outline the fonts on. It would be quicker (but not as safe :undecided:) to do that in Illustrator than to do it in Acrobat 9 (have to use a workaround to do it in Acrobat). This PDF was not created in Illustrator. Would something like this where we have all the fonts used be safe to do in Illustrator? From what Dov says, it sounds like the answer is no.

It there a workaround in Acrobat 9? I didn't know there was a way to outline text in Acrobat which is why I always go to Illustrator.
Freelance Designer | Illustrator | Photo Editor
iMac • Mac OSX 10.15 Catalina
Affinity Publisher • Affinity Photo • Affinity Designer
Adobe InDesign • Adobe Photoshop • Adobe Illustrator
Adobe Acrobat

Tracy

in the transparency flattener window
I have had some difficulty and some success with this.
I'd be interested what others have to say about this too!

Joe

Quote from: Tracy on June 05, 2010, 06:04:11 PMin the transparency flattener window
I have had some difficulty and some success with this.
I'd be interested what others have to say about this too!

It works. You just have to have transparency on the page so it has something to flatten. Somewhere around the forum there are some explanations on how to make something transparent so you will have something to flatten. One method is with Pitstop. The other is by adding a watermark I think.

ratintrap

The PDF you're working on needs to have transparency, if it doesn't you can add a transparent background (adjusting the opacity to 0%). You can outline the fonts in the transparency Flattener Preview window as Tracy said.

tuff_gong

Matt Bealls goes all caps on you if you open PDF's in Illustrator.
Before I had Pitstop and Neo, that was my only option sometimes.You do what works.
"Cops Nab Co-Eds in Pot Orgy"

gnubler

Quote from: tuff_gong on June 05, 2010, 07:58:17 PMMatt Bealls goes all caps on you if you open PDF's in Illustrator.

Quote of the week.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

frailer

Quote from: ratintrap on June 05, 2010, 07:44:14 PMThe PDF you're working on needs to have transparency, if it doesn't you can add a transparent background (adjusting the opacity to 0%). You can outline the fonts in the transparency Flattener Preview window as Tracy said.
Our unfortunate poor cousins who don't have PitStop have it at their fingertips....   :laugh:

Quote from: tuff_gong on June 05, 2010, 07:58:17 PMMatt Bealls goes all caps on you if you open PDF's in Illustrator.
Before I had Pitstop and Neo, that was my only option sometimes.You do what works.

Being on the receiving end of an 'all Caps' has its benefits. Way back, whilst trying to edit type in PitStop, unsuccessfully, I got an 'All Caps' from MB. It doesn't CARE! They have to be LOADED from your SYSTEM!  Well, words to that effect.   :grin: 
I've never forgotten.    :laugh:

BTW Joe, when I saw Dov's mug scrolling up from the bottom of the display, I thought he'd posted something.    :huh:  Not quite a RickRoll, but....  a DovRoll?    :undecided:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.