Previous topic - Next topic

Do you use Illustrator as a PDF editor?

Yes
26 (57.8%)
No
19 (42.2%)

Total Members Voted: 45

gnubler

Quote from: Joe on June 07, 2010, 03:05:14 PM50-50 on the results so far. Adobe will not be pleased. :evil:

What about Matt? Do you think he's twitching?
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

hotmetal

I could rant all night on this...

The new boss arrived 3 or 4 years ago, all fired up about PDFs (even though he knew almost nothing about them.) I had the only copy of Pitstop and was the only one willing to use it. Took me about 6 years to get it after I first requested they buy it. First they put it on preflight's mac, but she never figured out what it was (or where it was, she kept looking for an application called Pitstop.) Then they moved the license to the "lead operator" (who isn't me) and he did the same song and dance — never figured out that it was a plugin, kept "looking" for the application. Not.)

We started getting more and more PDFs and the new boss proudly told the first shift that Illustrator was a fine and dandy way to edit PDFs. We are now so screwed...

Lucky me, though, I'm the fixer. In other words, when first shift borks the file so bad they can't figure out what's going on and 2 days have now passed and the salesguy wants his fucking proof, the boss will smarmily hand the job off to me, smirking as he tells me it's almost done, I just need to jiggle the watchamacallit some more... he knows I'll fix it, and he does not care one bit about how the situation got so bad in the first place.

Did I answer the question?
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." ...
Hunter S. Thompson

gnubler

Quote from: hotmetal on June 07, 2010, 07:50:37 PMLucky me, though, I'm the fixer.

See, that sounds all badass. Like in the movie Michael Clayton where the evil law firm (is there any other kind?) has someone in place just to be a "fixer". You know, to cover up little problems like murder, car bombs, and gross negligence.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

frailer

Nice analogy. Hotmetal is now basking in the thought that he's a George Clooneytype. Let him enjoy it, I say!

That was one great movie. Must get it on DVD. Worth another viewing.   :smiley:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

beermonster

hey just open the pdf in illycrobat and edit away - its fun!
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

ratintrap

Quote from: beermonster on June 08, 2010, 05:42:15 AMhey just open the pdf in illycrobat and edit away - its fun!

Beer has gone off the deep end. :shocked: :laugh:

youston

Quote from: ratintrap on June 08, 2010, 10:05:02 AM
Quote from: beermonster on June 08, 2010, 05:42:15 AMhey just open the pdf in illycrobat and edit away - its fun!

Beer has gone off the deep end. :shocked: :laugh:

Out of respect and love for our European friend, I am hereby stifling the urge to make a 'Spirit in the Sky' joke.

David

you know you really want to...

come on...

I dare you..
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

youston

Quote from: david on June 09, 2010, 07:20:14 AMyou know you really want to...

come on...

I dare you..

Get thee behind me, David! I shall not mention 'Spirit in the Sky' because of my great admiration for the 'monster.

David

Livin' la Vida Loca

youston

David

Livin' la Vida Loca

gnubler

David

all right!
summertime squirrel!

probably wearin' a speedo...

:shocked:
Livin' la Vida Loca