Opening files problem on PC

Started by frailer, July 18, 2010, 07:52:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Daughter works in Illy on a PC (at her work...she's got a Mac Pro at home; I guess she just cries on her way to work   :undecided: ).  They work in a server 'situation'. She saves regularly to her Desktop. Haven't ascertained exactly why she is not able to access the server copy of the files, assuming she updates them as well, but she got to work this morning to "Could not open the illustration" messages when she tries to open the ones saved in a Desktop folder from Friday. (It's Monday here... :smiley: )
Any random thoughts welcome...

Yes, am trying to get more detail.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

gnubler

Quote from: frailer on July 18, 2010, 07:52:14 PMDaughter works in Illy on a PC (at her work...she's got a Mac Pro at home; I guess she just cries on her way to work

LOL. I was in the same situation for quite some time. More tears were shed after work on the way home, but disappeared after a few beers.

Quote from: frailer on July 18, 2010, 07:52:14 PM"Could not open the illustration" messages when she tries to open the ones saved in a Desktop folder from Friday.

That's happened to me and I'm not even sure it was a server scenario. It sounds like she's working locally anyway and getting the error. I think it's...bad. Can she try placing it into Indy and just exporting a fresh PDF or EPS to open in Illy? It might work.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

A few of things to try...

1. Try opening on another PC and re-saving it if it will open. Then copy back to her PC and try opening. If that fails...

2. Have her try quitting Illy and relaunching with Shift + Control + Alt held down. Then try opening the file. If that fails....

3. As a last resort rename the file to "filename.pdf". Open in Acrobat and export an EPS. This will put everything on 1 layer but it's better than nothing. If that fails...

4. Tell her to go home and try again tomorrow. :laugh:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Thanks, she'll be trying suggestions tomorrow, but kinda worked around it today. Sounds like the way they're required to work is not ideal, regardless...problems or no problems.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

gnubler

Quote from: Joe on July 18, 2010, 10:30:32 PM4. Tell her to go home and try again tomorrow. :laugh:

Also, saying some chants and throwing unicorn sparkles at the monitor might work. It's worth a try.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on July 19, 2010, 09:24:59 AM
Quote from: Joe on July 18, 2010, 10:30:32 PM4. Tell her to go home and try again tomorrow. :laugh:

Also, saying some chants and throwing unicorn sparkles at the monitor might work. It's worth a try.

That's number 5.

frailer

Further info that may help. She was doing work in Illy, saving regularly. Only using LoRes images as reference in the job, so in theory not image-size related. These are 'tech pack' illustrations for fashion/garment industry...part of what she's trained to do in her degree. Freehand drawing/illustrating. She says at one point when she saved, the file size was about 120MB. The next time, a short time later, it had roughly doubled.
If there's unexpected file-bloat, could be the reason for the non-opening. Up against what is a fairly crappy PC setup for what she's doing.
But someone may have a clue as to why file-bloat on a PC...possible reasons, how to avoid...   :undecided:

Captain_Type

Maybe it's including "mini-saves" in the doc. I know that with some apps, you can "Save as" and reduce the file size tremendously, because it strips out the mini-saves. I'm not sure whether Illustrator does that, though.

Also, if files get trashed, sometimes you can find an auto-saved version in a temp folder, if you know where to look...copy and rename that file with the appropriate file extension.
Esko Automation Engine 23
ArtPro+ 23
Javelin Imagesetter

Joe

Quote from: frailer on July 20, 2010, 04:26:22 AMFurther info that may help. She was doing work in Illy, saving regularly. Only using LoRes images as reference in the job, so in theory not image-size related. These are 'tech pack' illustrations for fashion/garment industry...part of what she's trained to do in her degree. Freehand drawing/illustrating. She says at one point when she saved, the file size was about 120MB. The next time, a short time later, it had roughly doubled.
If there's unexpected file-bloat, could be the reason for the non-opening. Up against what is a fairly crappy PC setup for what she's doing.
But someone may have a clue as to why file-bloat on a PC...possible reasons, how to avoid...   :undecided:

Not sure about the file bloat but that sounds rather large unless her file is terribly complex. Can she open it on a different PC?

gnubler

She'll need a lot of floppies to take that file to the printer.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: frailer on July 20, 2010, 04:26:22 AMFurther info that may help. She was doing work in Illy, saving regularly. Only using LoRes images as reference in the job, so in theory not image-size related. These are 'tech pack' illustrations for fashion/garment industry...part of what she's trained to do in her degree. Freehand drawing/illustrating. She says at one point when she saved, the file size was about 120MB. The next time, a short time later, it had roughly doubled.

How much transparency is she using? Specifically, layer effects such as drop shadows and glows? I can't imagine an AI file bloating that much, that quick and there not be some sort of rasterization going on. If she has the file, I will try to crack it open. I offer no guarantee, but I know... tricks.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on July 20, 2010, 10:02:41 AMShe'll need a lot of floppies to take that file to the printer.

Oh yeah. Remember the days of spanning a large file across multiple floppies?

youston

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on July 20, 2010, 10:08:06 AM

How much transparency is she using? Specifically, layer effects such as drop shadows and glows? I can't imagine an AI file bloating that much, that quick and there not be some sort of rasterization going on. If she has the file, I will try to crack it open. I offer no guarantee, but I know... tricks.

I've seen firsthand the result of DCS' 'tricks.' Without going into too much detail, let's just say that I have an AWESOME leather jacket, and my family is still munching on the long pork jerky he sent us for Christmas.  :shhh:

DigitalCrapShoveler

99.9% of the time, compiling the individual components failed. Floppies: not the most stable of media.

Oh good, so you liked the jerky? I was concerned I over-spiced it.
Member #285 - Civilian

youston

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on July 20, 2010, 10:20:17 AM99.9% of the time, compiling the individual components failed. Floppies: not the most stable of media.

Oh good, so you liked the jerky? I was concerned I over-spiced it.

Not possible with me, my friend. Grew up in Cajun country. Mom would put a few squirts of Tabasco into my formula, and the rest is (very spicy) history.
 :blowup: