Font problem with Illustrator CS5

Started by Bananos, February 01, 2011, 03:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Quote from: Joe on February 06, 2011, 08:23:09 PMAuto-activate is just a plug-in to open fonts that are flagged as needed but not open. It does not auto-DEactivate as the OP says his is. Others are using it on the same OS with the same software and not seeing that issue. To me, that is saying it's isolated to that users computer.

Fair enough. So wasting his time even trying FEX Pro then, as others are using the freebie without similar problems. I'll be watching from the bleachers, after withdrawing that theory.   :grin:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Quote from: frailer on February 07, 2011, 01:45:32 AM
Quote from: Joe on February 06, 2011, 08:23:09 PMAuto-activate is just a plug-in to open fonts that are flagged as needed but not open. It does not auto-DEactivate as the OP says his is. Others are using it on the same OS with the same software and not seeing that issue. To me, that is saying it's isolated to that users computer.

Fair enough. So wasting his time even trying FEX Pro then, as others are using the freebie without similar problems. I'll be watching from the bleachers, after withdrawing that theory.   :grin:

Well, it may not be a waste if his FEX FREE is messed up somewhere. Installing the Pro version might work correctly for him. It might not too. Only one way to find out though but it costs money.

Fonts are such a mess in OS X with the old legacy PS fonts, true type, open type blah blah blah...it's a wonder any of them work. I do know that comic sans never fails. Hmmmm...
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Well, he can trial it. If that works, it may be worth the AUD$88, assuming his employer is willing to fork out. (Back to the bleachers...my experience with an ugly font today has left me drained...and pissed off).
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Farabomb

I never trusted auto activate. I've been bitten by slightly different versions of the same font so I like control. I've been using FEX free with CS5 with no issues at all.

Quark? that's a totally different story.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

gnubler

Quote from: Joe on February 07, 2011, 01:50:24 AMI do know that comic sans never fails. Hmmmm...

And Courier. My two fave fonts.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

frailer

Quote from: Farabomb on February 07, 2011, 10:03:16 AMI never trusted auto activate. I've been bitten by slightly different versions of the same font so I like control. I've been using FEX free with CS5 with no issues at all.

Yeah, I think we've been up and down the garden path, but it's maybe been about that; Auto Activate.  Not the other stuff. But then, we're not really sure, either.    :undecided:

Joe

Maybe I'm confused but if there is no auto-activation in the free version of FEX for CS5 how can it be a problem?

frailer

That little detail was lost on me, as I've only been on Pro for about 2 years now.   Can we euthanase this thread?   We have the power.    :evil:

Joe

Let me clarify that. There is auto-activation but only up through CS3.

frailer

I'm walking away from it. I've never used auto-activate, on any version of anything. My eyes glaze over now...off to sort out my mess from yesterday.   :walker:

And yes, I should have quietly withdrew to a safe distance several posts back.   :laugh: