News:

Main Menu

Server hotswapping

Started by frailer, June 27, 2017, 10:20:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

baritone

8 per cpu so 16 but he only got 1 cpu so can fill all memory slots

Farabomb

Now I count 24. 12 per CPU slot 6 on top and 6 below. I'm seeing white, black and blue.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

For the old big HP or Dell servers it isn't uncommon to have that many ram slots. They can probably only take 2 or 4 gb ram chips though so it takes a lot of slots to have a lot of memory in them.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

I know that server boards are full of RAM slots. It's just been so long that I've seen close to current hardware it's interesting to see that many.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

I think our two new dell servers only have 8 slots. They want to sell you the 32 gb ram chips.

Farabomb

Sounds exactly like Dell (and Apple).

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

frailer

Posting here as it's part of the transition. Day 2, really, of the transition. We have upgraded XMF on the new server, still running the Luxel via Firewire PCI.

New XMF Client on new iMac, new Black Magic Client on same.

Black Magic server has been upgraded, and moved to run on the Windows 2012 HP server. So quite the transition...

Downside, still running old Adobe on old iMacs, so doing work on the files there, then dropping them over to the new iMacs, until we're 'Adobe-upgraded'.

My problem is the leap from 10.6.8 t Sierra. HowTF do you see Volume icons when you connect to another Mac/PC. Nothing seems to appear on the Desktop, like in 10.6?
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

frailer

Found an unchecked button in Finder Prefs....

In Future Shock here...
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Joe

Quote from: frailer on July 26, 2017, 04:34:37 PMFound an unchecked button in Finder Prefs....

In Future Shock here...

Check them all:

[attachimg=1 width=400]

frailer

Yep...I was in 10.6Land

XMF is now 64bit/multi-threading... fast. Black Magic on same server... fast.

Because we have been dragging the chain on Adobe upgrades, I'm hopping between a chair and a stool; check/fix stuff on old iMac, drop it into new one, take into XMF and proof from there. Like I've got bed-bugs...

But seriously, I don't know myself. Well, sometimes I don't know myself because I forget who I am, but that's different.   :old:

frailer

All working, but not without a few hiccups, natch...

Joe

BTW...Apple just released Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6 today so it is time to upgrade again! :rotf:

Farabomb

Did they only make one plate stacker? Had the exact one in my old shop.

You expected to not have any hiccups? That's cute.  ;D

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

frailer

Quote from: Joe on July 27, 2017, 07:02:49 AMBTW...Apple just released Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6 today so it is time to upgrade again! :rotf:
:whatever:  The one I've been postponing for a few days...

Managed a fast turnaround on proofs that "have to go this morning"; which I'd never have contemplated before...

(quietly now examines fingernails and whistles softly...  :laugh: )