Adding a 2nd CTP Device

Started by Slappy, January 09, 2020, 10:55:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slappy

We're moving ahead with the platesetter replacement, but we're keeping the old Screen device functioning too as a backup until we're 100% happy with the CRON.

Anybody add a CTP device to XMF? Ideally, I'm going to have both online so all new Jobs will route to the CRON, but if I need to send plates to the Screen I need to (easily) be able to resend plates.
Guess I need to get the existing plate curves out of Colorpath too, not sure who's going to do the calibration on the new plates though.

Bonus: We didn't renew our XMF Maintenance at year's end because we just hadn't used it in the last 2 years and I didn't see the need. Worst case I can do a call and pay eh ala carte price.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Diddler

I've run 2 ctp via XMF. It's every easy to choose which one you want to output to.
Are both running the same plate? Dot & resolution?
I'm pretty sure your going to need a tech to get XMF to recognise the new machine.
Curves can be done easily if you have the time. But trying to tell a boss you need half a day of press time is another thing.
You can't polish a Turd, but you can roll it in glitter!

Slappy

Quote from: Diddler on January 15, 2020, 07:27:30 PM
I've run 2 ctp via XMF. It's every easy to choose which one you want to output to.
Are both running the same plate? Dot & resolution?
Not so lucky, new plates & chem too. Resolution, screening will be the same though.

QuoteI'm pretty sure your going to need a tech to get XMF to recognise the new machine.
We do have a Color Guru who did the G7 on our iGen, used to be a Fuij guy so I'm reaching to see if he help. Probably cheaper than Official Fuji and he'd be onsite.

QuoteCurves can be done easily if you have the time. But trying to tell a boss you need half a day of press time is another thing.
Yeah, it's going to have to happen. We can't possibly use the existing curves with the new plates being so different from the processorless ones we'd been on. They're aware, will use the same guy as before so I know it will go smoothly.

Quote from: Diddler on January 15, 2020, 07:27:30 PM
Back to this - I know there HAS TO be a direct CAT5 connect from the XMF server to the output device, and I believe there can be only 1 at a time. So how did you send the 1-bit TIFs to separate devices? I've got a network guy coming in the next few days to run a 2nd CAT5 line for the CRON, my intention was to have whichever device was "live" plugged into the RIP at the time it was needed.

Thanks man, this is a new one for me!
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Slappy

Ahhhhhh, figured out the connectivity piece. We'll just do a GB Hub coming off of the line from the XMF server & then run the 2 out for the separate devices - duh!  :-[

Slappy

Got a support call w/ Fuji scheduled for tomorrow (or Tuesday depending on how the plate readings go) to add the CRON to XMF. Should only cost the $250 one-time call cost, and we'll have a temp license for the new 8up device. I think the final license is about $2000 but that's still half of what we'd been quoted originally.

DigiCorn

Seriously, the shop where we had no curves and ran strictly linear was the most awesomest plating experience I ever had. It was so nice to recalibrate after every cleaning and just bring it back up to the numbers and not fuss with anything else. We got our proofers dialed in to that color range and if the customer didn't like a color on the proof, we'd adjust the file and not mess with the curves.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Slappy

Good to know, I may push for that to start. Honestly with the chemical-free plates we haven't had to chase any color, I'd love to have that same day-to-day result.