Before upgrading to High Sierra, check your drives

Started by Possum, September 19, 2017, 12:58:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farabomb

What are the advantages of the file system itself? I'm a lot behind but I do remember FAT-16, FAT-32, NTFS, and the like actually improved things like fire security, drive capacities, block addressing, ect.

Or is it Apple saying it's awesome and you don't get a choice?
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

It only works on all‑flash internal storage...not Fusion or regular hard drives.

Advanced. A new 64‑bit architecture is designed for today's flash technology and ready for tomorrow's new storage capabilities.

Responsive. Designed to make common tasks like duplicating a file and finding the size of a folder's contents happen instantly.

Safe and secure. Enjoy even more peace of mind with built‑in encryption, crash‑safe protections, and simplified data backup on the go.

Pretty sure this last 3 things were written by a marketing person.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

I giggle about the responsiveness thing. It's always irritated me that it takes so long to duplicate a file.  ::)

I do kinda get it though. Flash storage is different than spinning platters and it makes sense to tailor the FS to it. My SSD's are plenty fast but NTFS reads flash and HDDs just fine. I also got the impression that it won't release with the ability to use it on hybrid drives but it will be an option eventually. That's kinda stupid to release something that can potentially cause major issues for a LOT of users. Most don't read the system specs and will blindly install. Hell, I've done it at times.

Just seems dumb to risk that but it's been a while since apple cared about their users. Oh, the new update porked your system? Sorry, in order to fix that you need to buy a whole new computer at quite an inflated price in order to resolve the issue...
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on September 21, 2017, 08:44:14 AMI giggle about the responsiveness thing. It's always irritated me that it takes so long to duplicate a file.  ::)

I do kinda get it though. Flash storage is different than spinning platters and it makes sense to tailor the FS to it. My SSD's are plenty fast but NTFS reads flash and HDDs just fine. I also got the impression that it won't release with the ability to use it on hybrid drives but it will be an option eventually. That's kinda stupid to release something that can potentially cause major issues for a LOT of users. Most don't read the system specs and will blindly install. Hell, I've done it at times.

Just seems dumb to risk that but it's been a while since apple cared about their users. Oh, the new update porked your system? Sorry, in order to fix that you need to buy a whole new computer at quite an inflated price in order to resolve the issue...

The only issue is that High Sierra beta did put it on hybrid drives and the release version will not. So if you install it on system that had the beta installed you are in for some issues. If you never installed the beta it won't install the new file system on a regular HD or on a  hybrid HD.

andyfest

Quote from: Joe on September 21, 2017, 08:58:35 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on September 21, 2017, 08:44:14 AMI giggle about the responsiveness thing. It's always irritated me that it takes so long to duplicate a file.  ::)

The only issue is that High Sierra beta did put it on hybrid drives and the release version will not. So if you install it on system that had the beta installed you are in for some issues. If you never installed the beta it won't install the new file system on a regular HD or on a  hybrid HD.
Sooooo...how many Apple production-based computers are out there with flash drives? Not too damn many I'll bet, due to lack of real storage space in SSDs right now. We have a couple of Windows servers that use an SSD for C: drive but they use a regular HDD for file/data storage. Sounds like this system is aimed squarely at consumers, not professionals.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

Joe

Quote from: andyfest on September 21, 2017, 01:48:21 PM

Sooooo...how many Apple production-based computers are out there with flash drives? Not too damn many I'll bet, due to lack of real storage space in SSDs right now. We have a couple of Windows servers that use an SSD for C: drive but they use a regular HDD for file/data storage. Sounds like this system is aimed squarely at consumers, not professionals.

Ear does. :rotf: That is 1.

Ear

:rotf:

Ear has 2 and just helped purchase one for my under-study designer human. The SSD is just sooooo much faster than the others, who cares about space. That's why god made external storage. I will never purchase another machine with a slow hard drive... can't crash them nearly as fast as I can with the Solid State.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

wonderings

Quote from: andyfest on September 21, 2017, 01:48:21 PM

I have 1 tb of flash storage in my 5K iMac. Could never go back to a traditional hard drive.

Ear

My new 5k retina copied a 3gb file, over my gigabit network, and onto the new SSD faster than the old iMac could duplicate the file on its own drive.... a LOT faster... like 3 seconds vs 30 seconds. 
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Tracy

I have 1 Fusion and 1 HDD?
Hope this doesn't affect me >:(

Joe

Quote from: Tracy on September 21, 2017, 04:06:08 PMI have 1 Fusion and 1 HDD?

If you choose to install High Sierra it will just use the old Mac OS file system. (as long as you didn't install the High Sierra beta on it first)

Joe

Quote from: Ear on September 21, 2017, 02:41:44 PMMy new 5k retina copied a 3gb file, over my gigabit network, and onto the new SSD faster than the old iMac could duplicate the file on its own drive.... a LOT faster... like 3 seconds vs 30 seconds.

I had to choose over the 1 TB flash storage with an i5 cpu or 1 TB Fusion drive with the i7. The Fusion drive is still a lot faster than a regular HD. and the i7 runs circles around the i5. My iMac boots in about 10 seconds and Indy starts in about 3 seconds. On my old iMac with an i5 CPU and regular HD it would take at least a minute to boot and InDesign gave you time to KILL breakfast, SKIN it, COOK it and EAT it. Sure I would have liked to have got the SSD but not at the expense of that i7 cpu.

Ear

Gotcha. Compromise is lame. :rotf:   

I found a refurb with a 512 gb SSD... it does get full relatively fast, but I back up to a multi-TB, partitioned USB-C external. But I'm glad I went with the faster flash drive, over larger and slower.

Joe

Quote from: Ear on September 21, 2017, 04:27:54 PMGotcha. Compromise is lame. :rotf: 

I found a refurb with a 512 gb SSD... it does get full relatively fast, but I back up to a multi-TB, partitioned USB-C external. But I'm glad I went with the faster flash drive, over larger and slower.

Well I've been married for 38 years so I'm well versed in it. :wife:

Tracy

Quote from: Joe on September 21, 2017, 04:15:27 PM
Quote from: Tracy on September 21, 2017, 04:06:08 PMI have 1 Fusion and 1 HDD?

If you choose to install High Sierra it will just use the old Mac OS file system. (as long as you didn't install the High Sierra beta on it first)
I haven't installed regular Sierra yet 
Boss wouldn't update my XMF license this year, so I won't install any OS till he gets me my license again. (for upgrades)
or else you could come over and hold my hand :laugh: