Before upgrading to High Sierra, check your drives

Started by Possum, September 19, 2017, 12:58:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Quote from: Tracy on September 22, 2017, 10:57:16 AM
Quote from: Joe on September 21, 2017, 04:15:27 PM
Quote from: Tracy on September 21, 2017, 04:06:08 PMI have 1 Fusion and 1 HDD?
Hope this doesn't affect me >:(

If you choose to install High Sierra it will just use the old Mac OS file system. (as long as you didn't install the High Sierra beta on it first)
I haven't installed regular Sierra yet Boss wouldn't update my XMF license this year, so I won't install any OS till he gets me my license again. (for upgrades) or else you could come over and hold my hand :laugh:

On my way... :rotf:  :evil:

You're more than likely not missing anything with Sierra and even I would be leery of installing High Sierra on my work machine. Pretty sure I will at home but not at work until I'm sure everything will work.

And now Ear has me wanting an SSD! :P
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Ear

You already wanted SSD.

Now if I can get the internet companies to run a fiber line to the shop, I'll be a happy camper.

And Tracy, listen to Joe. Upgrading in prepress can be a headache. I still don't think Sierra maintains as solid of network connections as older OSs. I have a 09 iMac with Snow Leopard that stays connected to all other machines with no hiccups... Sierra is not good at maintaining connections, even using things like Samba. I like it overall, but I do have the old workstation to lean on, if the new one gets touchy. If I didn't have a backup workstation, I would've been a lot slower to upgrade. 

I might do High Sierra next year and will do it on the MBP first, before the production machine. Press crews don't understand waiting for plates because of computer upgrade problems... gotta keep the wheels a turnin'
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

Quote from: Ear on September 22, 2017, 11:25:18 AMYou already wanted SSD.

Yeah now I have to figure out a way to get them to buy it for me. The bigger issue though is the damn glass on these 27" 5K iMacs can't just be removed with suction cups. You have to have a special tool that looks a bit like a guitar pic to cut through the seal and if you cut in too far...well you just made your fancy iMac into a doorstop. Oops! Also you have to buy the SSD HD kit from OWC because you can't just get any old SSD and put in there. Uggggh!

mc hristel

Sounds like it's time to update that old iMac Joe. The one you are using obviously isn't up to specs.  :sarcasm:

Joe

Yeah I need one of those iMac Pros that start at about $5 grand.

Farabomb

I guess I should be happy I'm stuck in the dark ages of Snow Leopard and the old sexy aluminum mac pros you can actually work on? I do have a SSD in there and it took only a few minutes to install, after I made sure to buy the proper adapter.

On a side note my old ass galaxy s3 phone now has android 7.1 on it. It's a 5 year old phone, replaceable battery, microSD slot running the newest (not counting Oreo, it's not really out yet) version of android. That should give me a few more years of life out of this phone. By that time, when I upgrade the phone it should cost $1.5-$2k to upgrade and have it last 2 years.

Progress...
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Did you get to 7.1 via Lineage OS?

We've had several instances around here of card skimmers at local gas stations and ATM's. There is an app now that can scan via bluetooth and let you know if there is a skimmer on a device you are about to use:

This new app can detect wireless credit card skimmers at gas pumps

Farabomb

Yup, was bored this week stuck on the couch and visited XDA for an unexpected surprise. I think I also saw it for the nexus 7 so I might be upgrading that as well. It's great because chrome hasn't been working for a while now. Happens after a update, sucks they don't tell you it might bork your system and you can't roll back.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Yeah Chrome wasn't working on my wife's Samsung tablet stuck on Android 5. Installed Lineage OS 7.1 and it works fine again.

Joe

DPSprint

so maybe I will just stick with Yosemite a bit longer...

Farabomb

Apple realized testing isn't needed with their rabid fanbase. They can probably get away with sending computers out with rootkits as long as the marketing team spins it right.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Possum

Oops, may be some problems with High Sierra's new file system and Illustrator CC, among others. Apple says no workaround, either. Maybe one later in an update.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/10/security-and-compatibility-problems-make-for-a-rough-apfs-transition/
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Farabomb

That would be apple to not test CC because they were concentrating on making the new iPhone 5% prettier than the old one.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Possum

Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.