News:

Main Menu

27" iMac

Started by Joe, August 14, 2012, 10:28:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ear

"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

More than once I have wanted to do that with this particular POS.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

mc hristel

Considering it was an anti tank round, that iMac held up well. Especially the aluminum case. 

Designia(o_O)

LOL, it really did.

Farabomb

Too bad we can't afford for apple to make our tanks.

That and they would need replacement every 3 years.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

David

not sure if I would be putting in some 60 year old ammo in that beast...

it does have a bit of a kick on it.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

FedEx just dropped off the new iMac. :banana:

David

Christmas time is here again!!

HO HO HO!!
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

frailer

The 27" iMac was not one of their icon beasts. Sorry Joe, it's just that we have 2 here (actually 5, including head office) which have required hospitalisation with transplant surgery. All of 'em.
Hopefully this is the 'new improved ' one.   ;D
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Quote from: frailer on January 13, 2015, 09:13:23 PMThe 27" iMac was not one of their icon beasts. Sorry Joe, it's just that we have 2 here (actually 5, including head office) which have required hospitalisation with transplant surgery. All of 'em.
Hopefully this is the 'new improved ' one.  ;D

Well it certainly cannot be as bad as the piece of crap they are replacing. At least I hope not. I think the 2011 model was plagued with heat issues that Apple would never officially acknowledge other than to repair the ones under Applecare. No way they made money on mine after they replaced 2 hard drives, 2 logic boards, 2 video cards, 2 displays, and one other board that I don't know what was. And then eventually sent me a new $1800 iMac. Which is probably still cheaper to pay out those kinds of dollars for defective Macs with Applecare than to admit there is a problem and have to recall ALL of them. I fee for the suckers that bought that model and didn't get Applecare.

We have several of the 2012 models at work and haven't had one thing go wrong with them. I shouldn't have said that. Probably just jinxed myself.  ;D

Anyway hopefully they have learned a few things along the way with these 27" iMacs. I really think the next time I have to fork out money for a new one will either be a Mac mini if I am still in prepress/alive or a Mac Pro if I hit the lottery.

:rotf:

frailer

Yeah, they were pretty much lemons. Your logic is right, I reckon; public perception rules. A fair bet that they did everything, including multiple major components being replaced, to avoid bad press.
We have a Mac Mini, (and I just know this is a mistake mentioning it), that has been chugging along crunching Black Magic files out of XMF since... 2006.  :smiley: 
And yeah, imagine being a 1 year warranty buyer... ouch!   :(  
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Possum

If the Mac Minis keep going the way they have, you probably won't have to worry about that. The announcement of the "new, improved" models started a run on the 2012 quad core refurbs.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.