A way to find a pdf page size from acrobat reader?

Started by Exploded, August 19, 2008, 05:00:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Exploded

Is there any plug in or way to use acrobat reader to find out a pdfs trim size? I am sick of getting hassled all day by reps asking me to check a pdfs trim size.

beermonster

apple-d and in the advanced at the bottom gives page size - is that any help?
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

beermonster

ok - just frikkin ignore me - next time i promise to actually read the title first - reader!

doh - not acrobat

my bad :embarrassed:

beermonster

sheeyat i'm having a wierd day

ok - in light of my recent stupidity (see above) may i introduce you to some more :grin:

i opened adobe reader7 and command d brings up the same info as in acrobat - so at the bottom, under the "advanced" you get the page size - is that any help...again.... :embarrassed:

like i said - wierd day today :undecided:

Slappy

Doesn't show the Trim Size though, not sure if there's an easy way without cropping it to see the trim size numerically.   :huh:
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

frailer

On quite a few PDFs that I get, I can't even get a trim size easily in Pro.
Depending on how/where the PDF was created, IME often all the PDF "boxes" are lumped together...Media=Crop=Bleed=Trim. I'm headed off home now...shall have alook on the PC at Acro 7 Reader and see if there's anything obvious. Hate to be a pessimist, but I think what you're asking for is a great idea...but.... :undecided:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

gtrev

mmm... not sure if reader is really up to this? - I'd be just opening in acrobat & preflighting with pitstop to get your trim box dimensions (if you have pitstop) - A rep who comprehends differing media boxes in a pdf file sounds like a PITA!
What proof?

Joe

Quote from: frailer on August 20, 2008, 01:08:57 AMOn quite a few PDFs that I get, I can't even get a trim size easily in Pro.
Depending on how/where the PDF was created, IME often all the PDF "boxes" are lumped together...Media=Crop=Bleed=Trim. I'm headed off home now...shall have alook on the PC at Acro 7 Reader and see if there's anything obvious. Hate to be a pessimist, but I think what you're asking for is a great idea...but.... :undecided:

Agree. I have zero customers that would know how to setup a page with media boxes set to their proper dimensions. Sometimes I'll get a page that trims 8.25" x 11" in a 11" x 17" window. There is no way I can trust any of the media boxes in a PDF. There is a preference in Acrobat 9 pro for displaying the media boxes. Not sure if it's in Reader or not.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

beermonster

no there's not in reader

but my post count is going up nicely in this thread thankyou very much :laugh:

frailer

Quote from: gtrev on August 20, 2008, 01:26:48 AMmmm... not sure if reader is really up to this? - I'd be just opening in acrobat & preflighting with pitstop to get your trim box dimensions (if you have pitstop) - A rep who comprehends differing media boxes in a pdf file sounds like a PITA!

That's an interesting insight, gtrev. Such a creature could know just enough to make your life hell; but not enough to really be of much benefit.  Nice.    :evil:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

pmhapp

Quote from: Joe on August 20, 2008, 02:39:56 AMThere is a preference in Acrobat 9 pro for displaying the media boxes. Not sure if it's in Reader or not.

Yes, the same preference is in Reader.

beermonster

oh right.

i only have reader 7 - dunno if thats the latest as i never opened it until this thread!

i couldnt find it in 7

not_Scot

In Acrobat Reader, you could utilize the Measure tool to measure between the crop marks.  This works great for our CSR department that doesn't have access to Acrobat Pro.  The measure tool is a reliable way to get the job done for no extra cost or bothering the folks with the paid software. 

born2print

Quote from: not_Scot on December 06, 2018, 08:30:40 AMIn Acrobat Reader, you could utilize the Measure tool to measure between the crop marks.  This works great for our CSR department that doesn't have access to Acrobat Pro.  The measure tool is a reliable way to get the job done for no extra cost or bothering the folks with the paid software.
I used to do that before Geometry Editor / trim box. Also used to drop in InDD to figure it out sometimes :puke:
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

Joe

Original post from 2008. :)

In the latest Acrobat DC Reader you can set preferences for viewing page size and also to display media, crop, trim, bleed, and art boxes so you can at least get a visual display.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.