Kodak approval not showing up as appletalk printer

Started by G_Town, September 02, 2009, 10:12:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tapdn

Retreat and rethink. Trying to catch our IT guy with the question. Hopefully back soon...
usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

G_Town

Yea that sounds like the only plan of attack right now.

Joe

The approval does have the checkbox or whatever checked to enable it as an AppleTalk device, right? Have you tried different Macs and see if any of them see it under AppleTalk?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

G_Town

Quote from: Joe on September 02, 2009, 01:12:18 PMThe approval does have the checkbox or whatever checked to enable it as an AppleTalk device, right? Have you tried different Macs and see if any of them see it under AppleTalk?

Yea it's just a tired old harlequin rip I've checked the inputs for appletalk and they are all on, the weird thing is when they first asked me to look at it you could see the printer in appletalk as a shared printer and when we looked at the properties it was showing the IP address of another mac in the department like it was sharing the printer. I had them shut off the printer sharing figuring we'd do it the right way and just set up everyone with a printer, shortly after that it dropped off the list of available printers and hasn't ben seen since. :huh:

G_Town

David

Have you found out what Mac originally had it as a shared printer?
Could you try that one and see if it shows up?
Check the settings on that other Mac to see if it is connected to the network in a different way. You never know about these IT guys, sometimes they forget how they set-up one machine when they do another one 5 minutes later.

You using AFP or SMB?
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

tapdn

Sorry G... tha man has been out with a sick wife and all I can remember is it was something to do with setting up a bonjour printer using IP address.
...and David may be on to something with SMB
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
~Farabomb

G_Town

Quote from: david on September 03, 2009, 12:57:46 PMHave you found out what Mac originally had it as a shared printer?
Could you try that one and see if it shows up?
Check the settings on that other Mac to see if it is connected to the network in a different way. You never know about these IT guys, sometimes they forget how they set-up one machine when they do another one 5 minutes later.

You using AFP or SMB?

AFB, yep tried the that mac no diff, I'll check the network settings again but I'm pretty sure they are they same, I know at least we are all on a different network then the rest of the plant.

David

stupid question...
is appletalk active on your mac?
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Okay G_Town. What OS is this beast running? Win 2000 server? Win 2003 server? Win 2008 server? And can all of your other computers see other Appletalk devices like laser printers and Nexus printers etc...? And can you see Appletalk file shares from this Windows server?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

okay, 'nother stupid question...

what are you printing to the Approval?
PDFs or tiff files?

Do you have to have the Host software installed to print to the Approval?

The reason I ask, we use Esko RIPs for our Approvals and we had to install the Host Software for our RIP to "see" the Approval.

And we send a special composite 1-bit tiff to ours.
Livin' la Vida Loca

tapdn

For what it's worth we don't actually "print" to our Rip, but have hot folders set up on the Windows machine where the Rip software resides. A folder for each type paper. Files dropped into folder are  ripped, trapped and one bit tiff sent to hot folder on the Mac that controls the printer.
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
~Youston
~Farabomb

PrepressN00b

did you upgrade your mac to snow leopard? Apple has discontinued appletalk in snow leopard.
Peter Kincaid
Hybrid Software

G_Town

Quote from: PrepressN00b on September 04, 2009, 11:30:24 AMdid you upgrade your mac to snow leopard? Apple has discontinued appletalk in snow leopard.

Nope 10.4.8.