A look back at 2012

Started by Laurens, January 01, 2013, 02:39:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

born2print

Quote from: david on January 07, 2013, 01:02:48 PMI have used most of the stuff in the list myself, but what the hell is that item from 1980 (first in the list)?
coax network connector, I had never seen it before either.
Those days are gone forever
I should just let them go but...

Farabomb

BNC token ring networking connector.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

David

ah ha!
couldn't tell from the pic, it looks like some sort of a plumbing fixture... and I'm not a plumber

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

David

oh yeah, it's from the early 80s, and since it followed the 70s, my memories may be a bit fuzzy...      :drunk3:
Livin' la Vida Loca

G_Town

BNC connector I think it was called, used it on the scitex network for the whispers and prismas etc...I think it was 10bt based but I could be completely wrong.

gnubler

You didn't forget how to lay pipe, did you?  :hello:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

DigiCorn

Quote from: Farabomb on January 07, 2013, 01:26:08 PMBNC token ring networking connector.
One ring to rule them all!™
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

G_Town

Quote from: gnubler on January 07, 2013, 01:50:31 PMYou didn't forget how to lay pipe, did you?  :hello:

No Ma'am I rekon not. :deadhorse:

gnubler

Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Laurens

Quote from: Farabomb on January 07, 2013, 01:26:08 PMBNC token ring networking connector.

It is a BNC connector, but for Ethernet, not for Token Ring. When I looked up the image I originally also did not recognize it any longer, even though I've plugged in a million of these. I do still remember thinking 'What idiot now decided to use a slightly wider modem cable' when they introduced the current type of plug. I think I still have an ethernet terminator lying around here somewhere. Yup, in those days even the network had a terminator, just like good old SCSI.
Having fun writing about prepress & printing for my Prepressure site

G_Town

Quote from: Laurens on January 07, 2013, 03:15:44 PM

It is a BNC connector, but for Ethernet, not for Token Ring. When I looked up the image I originally also did not recognize it any longer, even though I've plugged in a million of these. I do still remember thinking 'What idiot now decided to use a slightly wider modem cable' when they introduced the current type of plug. I think I still have an ethernet terminator lying around here somewhere. Yup, in those days even the network had a terminator, just like good old SCSI.

Yep it was daisy chained as I recall. Good times.

G_Town

Quote from: gnubler on January 07, 2013, 01:57:13 PMWhat are you wearing?

Bell bottoms, steel toes and a dress shirt.

gnubler

Weird. I didn't know today was "Twins" day cuz that's exactly what I'm wearing.

David

Livin' la Vida Loca

JCPenfold

Well I'm wearing a tutu with stripper heels  :laugh: