News:

Main Menu

Large Format

Started by Tracy, November 14, 2022, 11:59:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

born2print

I've wondered if ammonia off-gassing would work?
We bought a used oven-stove once and really stalled trying to get it spotless clean.
Even soaked burner grates in ammonia... then we discovered a trick that the gas works better!
Instead of soaking in ammonia, we put the pieces in ziplock baggies with just a half ounce or so so they "soaked" in gaseous ammonia and boy did that work. The carbon that wouldn't budge before just wiped right off!

Caution - I have no idea if this idea is sound or if ammonia would damage the print head your trying to save!
Those days are gone forever
I should just let them go but...

andyfest

We are running 2 large format Rolands where I work(?) now. Both have built in cutters. Most of our work is large printing for buildings, signs and vehicle wraps. The Rolands seem to be a bit finicky, especially the printheads. We just had the head and encoding strip replaced in the older Roland. The newer Roland (VG640) has 4 print heads. One was replaced about 2 months ago and we just started having problems with another (Y/K) today, so I imagine it will need replacing too. I used to use 42 inch Epson plotters for proofing at the packaging company that I last worked at and they were pretty solid, but the printheads seemed to let go every 5 years or so. We usually just replaced the printer at that point at that facility.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

pspdfppdfxhd

You back in the biz Andyfest? This is news.

Tracy

Yeah looking like were going to replace it, I'm thinking of asking if I can replace the print head myself using Pabney's
instructions, just to learn how to do it.
Probably get shot down tho.

Hey Andy!

pabney

Tracy,
I would not say that it is HARD, but it is involved and a bit intimidating. Not a project for the faint of heart. Lots of panels need removed, and once you get to the actual printhead, some of the screws are a bit difficult to reach.
The video does a good job of going through each step, and is certainly a must if you want to try this yourself.

andyfest

Quote from: pspdfppdfxhd on November 29, 2022, 05:42:31 PMYou back in the biz Andyfest? This is news.
Yes, the owners persuaded me to come out of retirement to give them a hand. Low stress, I set my own hours and I can retire again when I feel the time is right. It's a totally digital environment so no presses, chemistry or plates - just eco-solvent inks.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

pspdfppdfxhd

Cool, glad to hear it! ;D

Tracy

Quote from: pabney on November 30, 2022, 02:16:36 PMTracy,
I would not say that it is HARD, but it is involved and a bit intimidating. Not a project for the faint of heart. Lots of panels need removed, and once you get to the actual printhead, some of the screws are a bit difficult to reach.
The video does a good job of going through each step, and is certainly a must if you want to try this yourself.
I hope they let me do it, I actually like doing stuff like that, and now that it is no pressure, since were getting 
something new, that is an ideal situation, I don't like stress!  ;D

Possum

What some people see as stress, others see as challenges. I've never been a fan of either.

I'm not surprised that I'm on blood pressure meds. Printing, ya' know.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

DigiCorn

Quote from: Tracy on December 01, 2022, 09:55:02 AM
Quote from: pabney on November 30, 2022, 02:16:36 PMTracy,
I hope they let me do it, I actually like doing stuff like that, and now that it is no pressure, since were getting
something new, that is an ideal situation, I don't like stress!  ;D
Quote from: Possum on December 01, 2022, 12:08:38 PMWhat some people see as stress, others see as challenges. I've never been a fan of either.

I'm not surprised that I'm on blood pressure meds. Printing, ya' know.
I'm always fucking stressed.

No matter what.

I take 8 kinds of drugs daily. + beer.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Tracy

So we are not getting into Large Format but I do need to replace my Epson 9900
Does anyone know the next model I should get?
the 9900 was pretty good for us, so something comparable 

Tracy

Is the Epson 9000 the latest model?

Tracy

Epson has new inks A bit more expensive
this is what it will cost to fill the Proofer
well it won't be quite this much as we wont be buying inks from Epson

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Foozball

Quote from: Joe on December 09, 2022, 09:16:50 AMPrinting is expensive. :o
"Holy crap ... Ya know, let's just buy our own printer! That'll fix it!"

It's like a Christmas Puppy for the workplace ... you're all excited for a month or two, then the reality of maintenance and responsibility kicks in, and nobody wants to be bothered anymore!