Prinergy/Workshop 8 drag and drop input files...

Started by RMPrepress, February 02, 2017, 01:54:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RMPrepress

We let Workshop mount the AraxiVolume....just double checked, same error.

Manager/Default IT Guy - 2022 Mac Studio, Apple M1 Max, 64 GB - Ventura 13.6
Kodak Prinergy 10.0, Kodak Insite 10.0 and Kodak Proofing System 10.1
Epson SureColor P9000 w/XRite Spectroproofer - G7 Master Printer
Heidelberg Prinect 2022 + Suprasetter 106 CTP

Joe

Not really sure since you are using AFP. Haven't used it in years. I will see we do not have any font issues using SMB except if you copy the fonts from a Mac to the Prinergy Jobs share via AFP that SMB will not work with them in the future.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

RMPrepress

As a test i just took a zipped file from my desktop that i know has postscript fonts in it and copied it to the SMB AraxiVolume into a User defined folder of a job.  I unzip the file and the postscript fonts all read zerobytes...that is the problem with SMB.
So from what I read Joe and Born...you both just do the fonts locally on your Macs?

Joe

Quote from: RMPrepress on February 02, 2017, 05:24:27 PMAs a test i just took a zipped file from my desktop that i know has postscript fonts in it and copied it to the SMB AraxiVolume into a User defined folder of a job.  I unzip the file and the postscript fonts all read zerobytes...that is the problem with SMB.
So from what I read Joe and Born...you both just do the fonts locally on your Macs?

No we copy the fonts to the Prinergy Jobs UserDefinedFolders.

If you are are using AFP for any part of that process the postscript fonts will be corrupt.

As you can see below our whole font library is on a NAS drive which is SMB between it and Windows and Mac computers. None of the postscript fonts are zero KB as you can see. But for it to work you have to go cold turkey on AFP and remove it completely from any and all computers. We copy fonts to our Prinergy server all of the time via SMB and there are no issues. It is a myth that you can't use fonts in an SMB environment.

As a test mount your Prinergy Jobs server on the mac via SMB. (Command+K and type in smb://ipaddress. Then double click the share. When it mounts create a new folder on it via the mac through the share you mounted with SMB and then copy some fonts into that folder. No need to zip them first. They should all be OK. But if you try to copy them into a folder that was created via an AFP connection they will be zero kb.

SpicyVindaloo

We're switching from AE/Nexus to  Prinergy / InSite 8 in two weeks. Some good info here.

I've setup and used Prinergy for many years at the last two places I worked. We ended up going from AFP to SMB at the last place and we had all of our native files in the User Defined folders. Fonts weren't a problem...except you know, the way fonts are always a pain in the ass.

RMPrepress

Joe I get what you are saying and we already do connect to the AraxiVolume as SMB (mounted by starting workshop).
For me it is just not working, I have copied several different Postscript fonts in several different ways to Jobs/userdefined folders and I have created new folders and get the same result every time...Zero Bytes on all Postscript fonts.
I downloaded a customers .zip from our FTP to my Mac desktop unzipped and copied the fonts to a userdefined folder and all the postscript fonts have a size of Zero bytes.
I will continue testing this but maybe my Mac is the problem maybe I need to download directly to a user 
defined folder.
It all may be a nonissue (hopefully) when we start using Insite and customers are just uploading right to the Jobs/WebUploads folder.

On a side note do you use folding patterns we are struggling with this but I think it will just take some time to get used to. 

Thanks for all the help and advice.

Joe

[attachimg=1 width=200 align=left]Are you sure Prinergy mounts the drives with SMB? I would think that if you have AFP selected in the Prinergy Administrator for your shares that it would mount them as AFP shares. If you select the share on the Mac desktop and do a COMMAND+I does it show smb here? (click image to enlarge)

[attachimg=2 width=200 align=left]When you click on the share in the Prinergy Administrator Server Shares settings does it show it as AFP or SMB? (click image to enlarge) (Do not change anything here without reading the documentation thoroughly or even having the RC do the changes. There can be serious issues if things go south)

[attachimg=3 width=200 align=left]If you look at your file shares in your Prinergy server I assume, unlike mine shown here, that you have the shares setup as both SMB and AFP. (click image to enlarge)

I know I always had the font issues you are having when copying fonts until I completely eliminated AFP from our whole network. All of our file shares on our network whether they are Prinergy specific or not are only shared as SMB so our users could not use AFP even if they wanted to to connect to anything via AFP. It could be the problem is just because you have the file shares setup as both SMB and AFP or it could be something specific to Access Connect (formally Extreme ZIP). I don't really know for sure but I do know it is possible to setup an SMB only network and have no issues copying fonts from Macs to PC and back.

As far as folding templates... :puke:

No we do not use them. We still make templates and use them exclusively. Folding patterns just aren't logical for us due to the number of different presses, different web sizes for the web presses (5), and multiple sheets sizes for (2) sheetfed presses. Plus when we get into stuff like double parallel multi section runs it just isn't feasible to have to create everything from scratch every time you output a job. Kodak has assured me, take that with a grain of skepticism, that templates will always be around in Preps.

Joe

Interesting. Kodak just put this out:

https://services.kodak.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/68647

QuoteFebruary 5, 2017
Apple Filing Protocol (AFP) no longer qualified or supported with Prinergy Workflow

As of Prinergy Workflow 8.0, Kodak is no longer qualifying or supporting Apple Filing Protocol (AFP) services to be used with Prinergy Workflow servers as Prinergy job homes or for other tertiary server applications.

Server Message Block (SMB) is the standard network sharing protocol supported by Prinergy Workflow, and is the standard networking protocol for Windows OS's. Since the release of Mac OS X 10.5 in 2007, Apple has made significant improvements in SMB networking in Mac OS X (now macOS) and usage of alternate data streams, such that AFP sharing is no longer required to support Mac resource forks reliably.

Prinergy Workflow 8.0 introduced support for SMB3 on Windows 2012 R2.

Services for Macintosh (SFM) was the historical AFP connectivity software available in Microsoft Windows Server versions used with Prinergy products from Windows NT Server 4.0 to Windows Server 2003. Microsoft stopped supporting SFM with the release of Windows Server 2008. An alternative AFP software solution available on the market at that time was GroupLogic ExtremeZ-IP (currently marketed as Acronis Access Connect). ExtremeZ-IP was qualified as the standard AFP sharing solution for Prinergy on Windows 2008 and Windows 2008 R2.  ExtremeZ-IP (and its current Access Connect version) are not qualified for use with Prinergy Workflow 8.0. If you choose to use these products with your Prinergy Workflow 8.0 system, it is strictly at your own risk. Kodak makes no claims of interoperability or compatibility with Prinergy Workflow in relation to ExtremeZ-IP or Access Connect.

If you have AFP shares in your workflow, we suggest migrating your jobs to an SMB share. For information on converting between different file sharing protocols, see the Appendix 1 - Converting Client Protocols section in the Prinergy System Administration Guide.

Note: ExtemeZ-IP continues to be supported for the purpose of transferring license-protected 2-byte fonts via AppleTalk Font Downloader on Prinergy systems running Windows 2008 R2.