Q7, layers: now they're there, now they're not

Started by born2print, March 14, 2008, 11:51:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

born2print

WTF!
I am so sick of opening Q7 files that I know have layers and the layer palette shows none and objects act like they're locked instead. Sometimes the file is fine. Same mac, different mac, 7.0, 7.1, nothing seems to matter. I figure it's about 50/50 chance in my experience. Anyone else noticing this?

ps: hey Quark, FiretrUCK you very much!
 :evil:
My lips are moving and the sound's coming out
The words are audible but I have my doubts
That you realize what has been said

Joe

Quote from: born2print on March 14, 2008, 11:51:12 AMWTF!
I am so sick of opening Q7 files that I know have layers and the layer palette shows none and objects act like they're locked instead. Sometimes the file is fine. Same mac, different mac, 7.0, 7.1, nothing seems to matter. I figure it's about 50/50 chance in my experience. Anyone else noticing this?

ps: hey Quark, FiretrUCK you very much!
 :evil:

Can't help you on the Quark thing as I run screaming the other way if I come across a Quark file these days.

The word filter has been off for about week though. :laugh: Of course I admire your ingenuity though.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

born2print

:laugh:
Thanks Joe, I should have put this in rants because I suspect there's no solution; but with this group, you never know!

Joe

Quark threads almost always turn into rants but this is the right place for it anyway. :laugh:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Not much in the way of direct input, but the word seems to be to download the 7.3 update. Seems they fixed quite a bit...no surprise. Be warned, it's BIG. But it installed for me no worries/problems. Haven't been using Q cos our in-house people stuffed up their QLA installation, and are now back on 6.52. It 'timed out' after 3 months, and the 3 of them couldn't use 7 anymore. I laughed hard when I heard.  :laugh:

I don't think they're rushing to fix it. They lurv their comfort zones.  :cheesy:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

born2print

G'day frailer, thanks for that.
I am pursuing 7.3 upgrade but not too excited about it.
yay

hotmetal

Can't wait for a Q7 layer issue around here, this is not a layer-friendly department to begin with. If god had meant us to have layers they would have been in Quark 3 to begin with, dontcha know?

Meanwhile, I got my first WTF with Q6 ----> Q7 font mis-migration today. Despite a standing departmental policy to keep legacy Q6 files in Q6, that's too much trouble for some people, so now a long-standing legacy file has been brought forward with a few alts to Q7. No one noticed the type had changed to Courier, but I caught it on the proof before it went out to the salesman. Caught it, fixed it, ranted a bit. Why me, lord?

By the way, I did upgrade to 7.3 a few weeks ago. Hasn't destroyed my hardrive yet. That's a plus.
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." ...
Hunter S. Thompson

frailer

Quote from: hotmetal on March 14, 2008, 04:10:47 PMCan't wait for a Q7 layer issue around here, this is not a layer-friendly department to begin with. If god had meant us to have layers they would have been in Quark 3 to begin with, dontcha know?

Meanwhile, I got my first WTF with Q6 ----> Q7 font mis-migration today. Despite a standing departmental policy to keep legacy Q6 files in Q6, that's too much trouble for some people, so now a long-standing legacy file has been brought forward with a few alts to Q7. No one noticed the type had changed to Courier, but I caught it on the proof before it went out to the salesman. Caught it, fixed it, ranted a bit. Why me, lord?

By the way, I did upgrade to 7.3 a few weeks ago. Hasn't destroyed my hardrive yet. That's a plus.

I'm intimately associated with someone, on a daily basis, who believes it's good practice to always use the latest app version to open all previous jobs: i.e.Q6s get opened in Q7. Some people know it all.  :rolleyes:   :whatever:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

frailer

Quote from: born2print on March 14, 2008, 03:35:50 PMG'day frailer, thanks for that.
I am pursuing 7.3 upgrade but not too excited about it.
yay

Oh, BTW born, when you see the list of fixes, you'll be excited.   :woot:

hotmetal

Quote from: frailer on March 14, 2008, 05:58:19 PMI'm intimately associated with someone, on a daily basis, who believes it's good practice to always use the latest app version to open all previous jobs: i.e.Q6s get opened in Q7. Some people know it all.  :rolleyes:   :whatever:

Yes, that's the person who also keeps his mac running 24/7 with all his Software Auto Updates enabled so he gets automatically updated the moment a patch is posted — about 45 minutes before the patch gets abruptly pulled from the vendor site.

Nor would he bother to read any forums or check the Macintouch page for current upgrade information. Who's got time for that? Amateurs who just don't know how to Get The Work Out, of course.
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." ...
Hunter S. Thompson

beermonster

yeah i'm running 7.3 and apart from it being quark - in itself a reason to reformat hard drive and never utter the word again - few issues (previews are still crap however)

layes suck in quack. if i rip i get however many seperations are in the job - PER LAYER

for ex: 5 colour job, 4 layers = 20 seperations

so we just merge the whole damm lot. it may be our rip - but its at the latest version, but it also happens on proofer rip, and that thing is rock solid - so we just merge layers as a matter of course and away we go

still sucks tho
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

born2print

frailer

Quote from: born2print on March 17, 2008, 12:46:25 PMOK frailer, it's all on you! :tongue:

I've got 'layers' of sweat on my palms...Can't...take...the..pressure!    :tonofbricks:

born2print

har-har!
Nice Captain Kirk impersonation, btw :laugh:

DigitalCrapShoveler

Captain Picard doing Captain Kirk... Only at B4 folks.
Member #285 - Civilian