Is Quark Cross platform safe?

Started by pspdfppdfxhd, May 14, 2012, 06:31:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pspdfppdfxhd

Scenario: Customer gives us publication in Quark 4 pc, we open in 6.5 pc and make pdfs. Last time, job got printed delivered with spacing problems in the type. Example:  See "J  ohn run up the h  ill." The pdf looked fine. It didn't happen on all pages. I really don't want to troubleshoot WHY right now but I have to give them an answer.

If we tell them to upgrade their Quark, we can't handle anything over 6.5 on the pc. We really don't want to upgrade Quark on the pc, this is the only customer that uses it and we don't have any other problems like this.

We do have verison 9 on the mac, and I'm wondering if we load their fonts and open up the file on the Mac, would it be safe.

My advice to them is to stop using Quark and switch to InDesign but I don't think that'll go over well.

Any help appreciated.

DCurry

I think that as long as you use anything different from what the customer uses (I'm talking platform and app version), you are opening yourself up for problems.

Can you find a version of Q4 PC and load that? That would be pretty cheap, I'm sure.

I like the idea of gently encouraging them to switch to ID. Now is a great time for them because ID will open Q4 docs without needing to buy a plugin.

An alternative is to have them supply PDFs to you - then it doesn't matter what they use. You also probably should look at your proofing and QC procedures, because you could have caught that problem on proofs or at least on the plates, and if not there then on press is another opportunity to look at the job.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

DigitalCrapShoveler

Why I stress, opening the job in the app it was created in. It doesn't matter what platform you choose, or what version... you are going to have problems opening any file in anything different than the app it was created in. Styles, colors, almost always fonts and about 1,000 other things all come into play when you play this game. It doesn't just happen in Quark, it happens in just about every other popular desktop app. InDesign is not exempt.

If you have Quark 6.5, the only thing you can do is to painstakingly go over every line of text and every graphic to make it mimic the original. This means you are going to have to have a hard-copy to review. Although I agree with Dan that InDesign is a superior product, I don't agree that opening a QXD 4 file in InDesign is going to fix your problem. You are still going to have to go over that file with a toothbrush before I would feel comfortable letting it go.

It's all up to you, how important the job is and what your company is willing to do to make this customer happy. Upgrading Quark is not the answer. Good old fashion, rolling up your sleeves and skipping lunch, is.
Member #285 - Civilian

DCurry

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on May 14, 2012, 05:15:03 PMAlthough I agree with Dan that InDesign is a superior product, I don't agree that opening a QXD 4 file in InDesign is going to fix your problem.

I was not suggesting this approach - way too dangerous. Merely suggesting that the fact that the customer uses Q4 would make it easier for the customer to switch now.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

pspdfppdfxhd

Thanks for the advice, when I go to court I can use this information.   :shoots_self:

They are actually using 6.1 pc and have been for about 6 years. There's a free update to 6.5 but seems to me that years ago the guy told me he couldn't get it to work. (probobly doesn't have a licence). But if he did that at least we'd be 6.5 to 6.5. For years he has been saving this job in 2 files....says he can't save it in 1 big file (?) for instance, pages 1-100 and pages 101-150.

Here is where we got burned on this one though it never happened before: Merging the 2 pdfs into 1 to get it into preps. The 2 separate pdfs on their own were fine, the 2 combined wacked up the fonts on some of the pages.

StudioMonkey

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on May 15, 2012, 06:07:43 AMHere is where we got burned on this one though it never happened before: Merging the 2 pdfs into 1 to get it into preps. The 2 separate pdfs on their own were fine, the 2 combined wacked up the fonts on some of the pages.

That sounds like a problem in PREPS.  Try combining the PDFs into one using Acrobat Pro.

DCurry is right though - the best way to stop this kind of thing happening is to have them supply you PDFs.  This also means that any last minute amends and they will have to supply a new PDF because  - repeat after me everybody - you can't edit a PDF.
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

Joe

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on May 15, 2012, 06:07:43 AMThanks for the advice, when I go to court I can use this information.   :shoots_self:

They are actually using 6.1 pc and have been for about 6 years. There's a free update to 6.5 but seems to me that years ago the guy told me he couldn't get it to work. (probobly doesn't have a licence). But if he did that at least we'd be 6.5 to 6.5. For years he has been saving this job in 2 files....says he can't save it in 1 big file (?) for instance, pages 1-100 and pages 101-150.

Here is where we got burned on this one though it never happened before: Merging the 2 pdfs into 1 to get it into preps. The 2 separate pdfs on their own were fine, the 2 combined wacked up the fonts on some of the pages.

You shouldn't have to merge them into 1 pdf to get them into Preps. If it were 150 single page PDF's you could still add all 150 of them into Preps.

Next question is, after you merged them with Acrobat, what version of PDF did Acrobat save as? Once merged you could either save as a PDF-X4 or optimize it as any PDF version you please. I know Preps has had some issues with higher versions of FAT PDF's placed into it. Probably better to keep it at a PDF 1.4 or 1.5 if it's going into Preps.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DCurry

Quote from: Joe on May 15, 2012, 08:42:43 AMYou shouldn't have to merge them into 1 pdf to get them into Preps. If it were 150 single page PDF's you could still add all 150 of them into Preps.

Agreed - just drop the 2 PDFs into your Run List. The idea is to minimize the types of operations that are likely to cause problems - run it through as "untouched" as possible.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: DCurry on May 14, 2012, 05:52:09 PM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on May 14, 2012, 05:15:03 PMAlthough I agree with Dan that InDesign is a superior product, I don't agree that opening a QXD 4 file in InDesign is going to fix your problem.

I was not suggesting this approach - way too dangerous. Merely suggesting that the fact that the customer uses Q4 would make it easier for the customer to switch now.

Okay, I misunderstood you. I totally agree with the above statement. I'm thinking this is more a font issue anyway. Too many free fonts on the innertubes and most of them are just plain shit. I would have to say, this is probably the biggest problem with PC to Mac and vice-versa I deal with daily. PDFs are great, but only as good as the desinger making them. Sometimes, it's just not the most feasible way to go.
Member #285 - Civilian

pspdfppdfxhd

I told the guy we have to get the whole job in 1 quark file. He hasn't been dealing with the issues he's had with quark for years and dumping off his shit to us.

Joe

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on May 15, 2012, 01:30:07 PMI told the guy we have to get the whole job in 1 quark file. He hasn't been dealing with the issues he's had with quark for years and dumping off his shit to us.

Is there a customer on the planet that is NOT like that?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DCurry

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on May 15, 2012, 01:30:07 PMI told the guy we have to get the whole job in 1 quark file. He hasn't been dealing with the issues he's had with quark for years and dumping off his shit to us.

I disagree. There shouldn't be anything wrong with receiving 2 files. Granted, it is more work for you, but isn't that why we're here? The problem was caused when you combined PDFs and didn't proof/QC properly. Sorry to be so blunt.

Now I'm really curious - how about taking the original 2 PDFs and dropping them separately into the run list and see if the problem occurs again.

t-pat

quark is unreliable when you don't even jump version or platform. We only have V7&8 too! Fortunately we don't get much in quark, and we don't get a lot of pre V7 quark files.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quark, InDesign, Illustrator... what's the difference? It's all crap in/crap out. Every job has to be thoroughly inspected... kind of our job.
Member #285 - Civilian

jimking

The op stated that the pdfs looked good but the plates, apparently, the text is spaced apart.
I've seen this happen with cheap rips, ripping pdfs with the fonts properly embedded, no cross platform issue involved. I wonder if it's the same issue.