Serious help needed

Started by jimking, February 28, 2013, 03:27:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimking

Quote from: MCpwr on March 01, 2013, 01:43:33 PM
Quote from: jimking on March 01, 2013, 01:29:54 PMIt seems I may have found a solution, strange as it is. All our templates are named with a prefix---example the first letter represents the paper size, the next two letters represent whether it is sheetwise, flatwork etc. CSW 5.5x8.5 144pg means 19x25 sheetwise. Leave off the prefix and everything works fine. Go figure?

Surprised it hasn't been an issue before but now it is. There still may be some corruption and you might want to dump the preference files. As long as it's working, sometime that's all that matters. :rolleyes:
Dumping the preference file is  what I like to do. Do you remember what it is called and location on an ole G4? I gave it a look and couldn't locate it.

I would have no issue with upgrading this system but we can not at the moment because any upgrade puts us in the Intel machine calling for major cost upgrade. The owner has a round the world tour next year so that is out of the question.  :ondeck:

DigiCorn

Quote from: jimking on March 01, 2013, 01:51:58 PM
Quote from: jimking on March 01, 2013, 01:29:54 PMIt seems I may have found a solution, strange as it is. All our templates are named with a prefix---example the first letter represents the paper size, the next two letters represent whether it is sheetwise, flatwork etc. CSW 5.5x8.5 144pg means 19x25 sheetwise. Leave off the prefix and everything works fine. Go figure?

Surprised it hasn't been an issue before but now it is. There still may be some corruption and you might want to dump the preference files. As long as it's working, sometime that's all that matters. :rolleyes:
Dumping the preference file is  what I like to do. Do you remember what it is called and location on an ole G4? I gave it a look and couldn't locate it.

I would have no issue with upgrading this system but we can not at the moment because any upgrade puts us in the Intel machine calling for major cost upgrade. The owner has a round the world tour next year so that is out of the question.  :ondeck:
If you're lucky, maybe your owner will get one of those ships that breaks down and live in his own filth for three days.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Quote from: jimking on March 01, 2013, 08:09:24 AMThanks all for the info. I checked the names and they are fine in every way. I changed the names as test--same issue. Even templates made years ago are giving me the same message. I remapped the pref--folders. Even when I pull the template out onto the desktop it still gives me that message. I keep thinking if I can dump a preference file and restart my work, but is there a preference file I can trash?

Jim, in "/Users/~/Library/Preferences" the name of the Preps preference file is "com.creo.preps.plist"
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

jimking

Quote from: DigiCorn on March 01, 2013, 01:58:07 PM

If you're lucky, maybe your owner will get one of those ships that breaks down and live in his own filth for three days.
Actually the 6star ship she went around Africa in was an Italian liner.  If it was going to happen that would have been it. I did ask her if the ship was called the African Queen.  :monkeyfight:

DigiCorn

Quote from: jimking on March 01, 2013, 02:05:59 PM
Quote from: DigiCorn on March 01, 2013, 01:58:07 PM

Actually the 6star ship she went around Africa in was an Italian liner.  If it was going to happen that would have been it. I did ask her if the ship was called the African Queen.  :monkeyfight:
ewww. Leeches.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian

MCpwr

It looks like Joe beat me to the punch but I was going to give you the same answer. At least your owner has his priorities straight. :drunk3:
Having more fun then you can shake a stick at since 1987!

jimking

Quote from: Joe on March 01, 2013, 02:02:54 PM
Quote from: jimking on March 01, 2013, 08:09:24 AMThanks all for the info. I checked the names and they are fine in every way. I changed the names as test--same issue. Even templates made years ago are giving me the same message. I remapped the pref--folders. Even when I pull the template out onto the desktop it still gives me that message. I keep thinking if I can dump a preference file and restart my work, but is there a preference file I can trash?

Jim, in "/Users/~/Library/Preferences" the name of the Preps preference file is "com.creo.preps.plist"
Thanks Joe

Joe

Let us know if that fixes it for you. Definitely sounds like corruption of some kind. Of course you are in DC...corruption capital of the world. :laugh:

DCurry

Quote from: jimking on March 01, 2013, 01:29:54 PMCSW 5.5x8.5 144pg

Just curious - why would you have a 144-pg template, rather than just repeating one until you hit 144?
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

t-pat

or better yet, auto-select?
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Joe

Quote from: DCurry on March 01, 2013, 03:01:23 PM

Just curious - why would you have a 144-pg template, rather than just repeating one until you hit 144?

Reminds me of how we used to do it in Presswise.

jimking

Quote from: DCurry on March 01, 2013, 03:01:23 PM

You know, I like to know that also. At the old plant we could choose the correct 16 pager add it as many times that we need, but the way this flow is configured I can only choose the template once. If the amount of pages in the running order do not match the template it's a no go. I was told that it because we are a small shop, don't need that fancy dancy stuff. Now, If you have a over ride idea my ears are open!  :cheesy:

Joe

You are using Preps 5 right?

t-pat

if you have a template with a 16 page layout, and you add your pages to the run list, you should be able to right click on the template and "auto-select" - it will keep adding sigs until it runs out of pages.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait