Quark 7.3

Started by David, December 20, 2007, 01:49:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David

any you guys using this?
can you print from it?
make a pdf?
make a .ps?

can't print shit and I'm getting pissed.

arrrgggg!
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Zimmy3

I got Quark PassPort a few weeks ago,which came as 7.3.
What seems to be the problem?
Because it feels good !

Joe

I'm using 7.31. Other than the ongoing font nightmare it's working.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

f*cking printer drivers....

blank pages....

blank pdf files...

stupid piece of crap....

where the hell is pointy?
I need someone to go to the quark forums...

haha.

Livin' la Vida Loca

David

actually, I just now got it to work.
here's my repair:
we have always used an aux. folder for the ppd's we use (esko and our reg. printers, custom drivers and such) and it has always worked.

not any more.

Found that if I move all of my custom drivers into the stupid default printer folder with all the other billion drivers, it will work.

piece of crap.

thanks for the fast responses anyway.

cheers,
david

Livin' la Vida Loca

gnubler

And Google says...

"Quark sucks"...........101,000 hits

"I love Quark"...........about 655
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

frailer

Am about to install Q7 this weekend. Have to. No choice. This new thread just fills me with joy and confidence. At least I know what I'm in for.  ::)
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

David

yeah, the Quark I had the most problem with was the most recent install.
Came out of the box as 7.3, so no updater problem. I've been holding off on the .3 update due to some problems I've heard about, but then I got the one in that is 7.3, and it makes my head hurt.
I now have one Mac with 7.0, one Mac with 7.2, and one Mac with 7.3.
guess which one works the best?

you're right, the other Mac with 6.5!

ha, trick question, fooled you!
 8)

Livin' la Vida Loca

almaink

Some over on Print Planet are arguing about the supposed PDF unflattened export (V1.4) in the latest Quack release. IMO it still doesn't do it like Adobe's applications ( and never will, unless Quack forks over cash to Adobe), although it does give more control over how flattening will effect the file, it seems to be a start in the right direction. Since I've washed my hands with Quark I can't test it here, but those that do have it give it a shot and post back. I still have a few holdouts that send PDF's and may benefit from this latest release.
This link to a PDF explains it, or tries to...
http://www.quark.com/products/xpress/pdf/bestpract_trans.pdf
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

Tynan

Hello all

We're using it here to knock out two weekly mags totalling over a 100 tabloid pages of intense stuff, listings, editorial, all sorts

So it does work

There were all sorts of interesting bugs early doors and we're still grappling with a couple, mostly inorinate slowness exporting the larger and complex files to ps, we have a 64 page job with miles of galley 5pt text with hundreds of inline graphics per page, but it takes 2 hours to export! Only a 1.3Gb ps file so clearly the delay is Quark interpreting the file, it's certainly much slower than Q4 which did us proud for ages

We've tinkered with all sorts of xts and settings, some have improved things, some haven't

But it does work

Zimmy3

Quote from: Tynan on December 21, 2007, 08:16:39 AMmostly inorinate slowness exporting the larger and complex files to ps,

Are you exporting to ps or PRINTING to ps?

Also,welcome to B4Print forums :)
Because it feels good !

Tynan

exporting to pdf but have the preferences set to 'export as ps'

it works for all the other docs we use, works fine for this one too only really big time slow

early experiments with export to pdf were abandoned after it made silly big pdfs, we've traditionally been Distiller orientated so that's the way we're still working

we use pdf as our preferred graphic format, all the editorial pages and supplied ads are pdf, we find it very reliable and hassle free, bit puzzled by the people on here that seem to be struggling with pdfs

we do print on job to ps so we can reduce it to 95%, that works fine too, we use a Generic Postscript Printer on the network and the Distiller ppd

and thank-you and it should have been 'inordinate'

almaink

Postscript was the de-facto output method here as well for years, but since transparency is not supported in a postscript workflow,  Tynan what do you do about Quacks Transparency?  I found that it doesn't always "flatten" properly and I have no time to play games with it when InDesign works fine, and doesn't need to flatten anything.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

frailer

Tynan, is that the "Export to postscript for later distilling" route? Is that a new thing in Q7? Been recommended elsewhere, I think. Maybe it's a prefs thing; guess I'll find out after install... ::)
Oh, yeah, welcome to b4p.. :)
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Quote from: Tynan on December 21, 2007, 08:39:13 AMexporting to pdf but have the preferences set to 'export as ps'

it works for all the other docs we use, works fine for this one too only really big time slow

early experiments with export to pdf were abandoned after it made silly big pdfs, we've traditionally been Distiller orientated so that's the way we're still working

we use pdf as our preferred graphic format, all the editorial pages and supplied ads are pdf, we find it very reliable and hassle free, bit puzzled by the people on here that seem to be struggling with pdfs

we do print on job to ps so we can reduce it to 95%, that works fine too, we use a Generic Postscript Printer on the network and the Distiller ppd

and thank-you and it should have been 'inordinate'

Okay, so you can take a PDF from Illustrator or InDesign with live transparency, and place it in Quark and have it output correctly?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.