Preps 6 - multiple sections on 1 sheet

Started by DCurry, May 14, 2014, 03:16:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DCurry

With the upgrade to 6, now all versions support multiple sections on 1 form I used to do this all the time in 5, but it's kicking my ass in 6. All I want to do is gang 2 saddle-stitch books on 1 sheet. The left half of the sheet should be Section 1 (4pgr, numbered 1-4) and the right half should be Section 2 (a different 4pgr, but also numbered 1-4).

Anybody done this successfully in 6?
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Joe

Yes, we do it all the time. Where are you having a problem? Can you give me a screen shot of the way you want it? (Just to be sure I am understanding you correctly)
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DCurry

Can't do a screenshot right now, but it is 2 different 4 pagers, 1-up of each, saddle-stitch, 8.5x11 trim size on a 19x25 sheet, low folio at the gripper, heads facing right. The actual books are 8pgrs so I would use the sheet twice.

Jus to clarify, the two 4-pagers are from 2 different books.

Edit: I lied - here's a screenshot.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Joe

OK, here is how it looks in Preps 7.0.2 but I am pretty sure it is the exact same in Preps 6. Are you having a problem getting this created in Preps 6 or something further down the line?

Joe

You kind of need to disregard the large bold page numbers and look at the smaller numbers to the left of A1 & A2. On the second section (right side of plate) I did number them 1 & 4 but Preps changes the big bold numbers to 5 & 8. I don't think there is a way to keep that from happening. The small numbers do still show as 1 & 4 though.

DCurry

Maybe that's what's throwing me off, then - the big numbers in the corners.

What are the red and blue numbers representing?

Joe

The number of sections you made when you created the imposition. Not sure why they have them in both red and blue.

DCurry

When I try to change the section number to 2 on one of the 4-pagers, they both change - can't seem to get 1 and 2 together. Also, when I dupe the sheet it says section 3? Is it really saying Sig 3 and just calling it Section now?

Joe

Not sure what you mean on the first question but on the second question it is section 3. Section 1 and section 2 are on the first sheet so next in line is section 3. Right? Or am I missing something?

Just to clarify on multi-section templates, in your example image, the left half of your template will use pages 1 through 4 in your run list. The right side pages will use pages 5 through 8. Assuming of course you have just 2 sections of 4 pages, If you dupe the sheet you will be using 16 pages and pages 1, 2, 7 & 8 in the run list will be on the left side of sheet 1 and 3, 4, 5, 6 will be on the left side of sheet 2. The right side of sheets 1 & 2 will use 9, 10, 15, 16 (sheet 1) and 11, 12, 13, &14 (sheet2) which will give you two separate 8 page sections. I think anyway. Don't have Preps here at home.

DigiCorn

It does look the same in Preps 6. Everything Joe says is accurate.

I believe the red and blue numbers indicate the section numbers. The first black number is the page number of that section.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

DCurry

I don't think what I'm trying to do is even possible, anyway, even in 5. There are 2 saddle-stitch books - each is 4pg+cover, so the covers need to run ganged together on Sheet1 and the text gangs together as well on Sheet2. I was hoping I could do this without having to manually shuffle pages out of order in the Run List, but I can't see a way to do that. I've got Preps 6 Plus, not Pro, so I don't know if defining different products is the answer. Luckily we don't do much book work here.

The red and blue can't both represent section numbers - why would you need that info twice? Maybe the blue numbers are the product and the red numbers are the section, while the big numbers in the corners refer to the run list position? Can't find documentation regarding that.

So far, Preps 6 seems to make things more complicated than they used to be.

DigiCorn

I also just have Preps Plus 6.

Send me the dimensions and a low res pdf for placement info, and I'll mock something up.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

DCurry

Ultimately I made it work, but just not how I had envisioned it in my mind. Attached is a zip containing my Preps job and dummy PDFs.

Joe

Quote from: DCurry on May 15, 2014, 09:51:50 AMI don't think what I'm trying to do is even possible, anyway, even in 5. There are 2 saddle-stitch books - each is 4pg+cover, so the covers need to run ganged together on Sheet1 and the text gangs together as well on Sheet2. I was hoping I could do this without having to manually shuffle pages out of order in the Run List, but I can't see a way to do that. I've got Preps 6 Plus, not Pro, so I don't know if defining different products is the answer. Luckily we don't do much book work here.

The red and blue can't both represent section numbers - why would you need that info twice? Maybe the blue numbers are the product and the red numbers are the section, while the big numbers in the corners refer to the run list position? Can't find documentation regarding that.

So far, Preps 6 seems to make things more complicated than they used to be.

So 4pg+cover = 8 total pages, right?

The way I explained in my last post would do that. In the run list you would have pages 1 - 8 as CVR1, CVR2, 1, 2, 3, 4, CVR3, and CVR4. Sheet one left side would have the covers. Sheet 2 would contain pages 1 - 4. Pages in the run list 9 - 16 would work the same for the second 4pg+cover on the right side of the sheet. Can't explain the red and blue numbers. I will check the Preps Pro manual when I get to work and see if there is anything in there about it.

DigiCorn

I just got wicked busy, with a mammoth project. I downloaded it, and will look at it later today. Sorry.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway