JPG to Vector with live type

Started by Bugs, October 04, 2011, 10:05:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bugs

I just got a request to turn 150 scans of diagrams to vector art and have the type be live (editable). Does anybody have an easy way to do this? Here is a sample image.
Prinergy 7
Bunch of Macs
Some PCs
Advanced PH8 systems
Epsons
Among other Prepress Crap

t-pat

Acrobat Pro will OCR it for you, works pretty well. Not perfect, but pretty well.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Joe

Quote from: Bugs on October 04, 2011, 10:05:00 AMI just got a request to turn 150 scans of diagrams to vector art and have the type be live (editable). Does anybody have an easy way to do this? Here is a sample image.

Doing one image is not going to be "easy". Then multiply that by 150.

You can try what t-pat suggested with OCR for the text. Then use Illustrator and live trace for the images. But it's not going to "easy".
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

You mean you can't just save them as Illustrator EPS and magically turn them into vectors? Cuz that's what my customers do and they are geniuses for it.

It's going to be work, Bugs. I don't know if Vector Magic has better tools than Illy's Live Trace. You could try one and find out but it ain't free anymore.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

t-pat

make it into a 150 page pdf and ocr it via acrobat. Easy enough. Hard part will be going through it and proof reading/correcting it. You'll need other tools, of course.

I'm not sure the OP wants to "Live Trace" it as then it would not be editable type, it would just be vectors.
vdp donkey

Grimace

Vector Magic will work for the image part, but with that shading, you would need to add gradients or something.
The text would just be "outlined" and would need to re-typed.

So, generally about a 150 hours of work @ $$$$$$$$$

t-pat

vdp donkey

DigiCorn

Can you redraw the line art in Illy, and then make it an editable PDF form or use PDFLib blocks?
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Quote from: t-pat on October 04, 2011, 10:17:35 AMmake it into a 150 page pdf and ocr it via acrobat. Easy enough. Hard part will be going through it and proof reading/correcting it. You'll need other tools, of course.

I'm not sure the OP wants to "Live Trace" it as then it would not be editable type, it would just be vectors.

I think the OP wants both vector images and editable text.

Bugs

Tried live trace and it was kinda crappy. I told my boss that each one will be an hour. That way if I have to do it all by hand we wont lose money. Some are allot less work.
Thanks everyone.
Prinergy 7
Bunch of Macs
Some PCs
Advanced PH8 systems
Epsons

Skryber

You'd probably have an "easier" time locating the original files. Just give them a quote and see if they magically appear. Cause that's going to be a lot of work. I would scan them in as Line Art and Live Trace in Illy and if not much text, just retype it.
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

Joe

We charge $45 per hour (which is cheap) x 150 = $6,750! Any of my customers would keel over at that price for "prepress" work. :laugh:

Bugs

problem is it's out of an old book. Looks looks like camera art.
Prinergy 7
Bunch of Macs
Some PCs
Advanced PH8 systems
Epsons

Bugs

Prinergy 7
Bunch of Macs
Some PCs
Advanced PH8 systems
Epsons

Sabrina The Turd Polisher

$45 an hour! You are a cheap whore. Wow, that is cheap.  :laugh:
I'm $70 an hour!
Ambidextrous, Double-jointed Prepress Slave
We all have issues. The only people that don't are the dead ones. ©2011 Joe  |  doomed ©2011 david