Using text editor to change color bar on many templates

Started by DCurry, February 07, 2019, 11:43:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottrsimons

Just found my notes, and they were for changing the names of the color bars in our templates, using BBEdit, with the Multi-File search like Joe said. Worked like a charm. But it was only on the Preps Template files, and not on the .ps or .pjtf files.
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

DCurry

I don't think this is going to work as well as I hoped - the code of the bar I want to replace is inconsistent from sig to sig so I can't do a Find All and Replace. Had one Friday with about 20 sigs in the template and found it was easier and faster to just do it the old way in Preps.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Joe

If I remember correctly in older versions of Preps, 5 and 6 I think, it didn't contain all of that smart mark info. I think back then it only had the name of the smart mark. I guess that was a new feature at some point.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Mikie

Just wanted to say thanks guys. I have been playing with this and it is going to work using the create imposition option Mr. Curry pointed out to me. Because of our workflow it is going to be faster to just reimposed everything at the plate setter rather than trying to track down the thousands of jobs I already had .pjtf and .ps files in.

One thing I am doing slightly different is instead of changing the template file using a text editor, I am just replacing the old color bar with the new one, but using the old color bar name. I know some templates are gonna break, but the majority should go fine. So in prinergy when i create imposition, and select an existing template file, it uses the new color bar :). I did test renaming the color bar in the template as text, and it did indeed work. But didn't solve my other issue.

So THANKS!!! You guys saved me a lot of time.

born2print

Quote from: Mikie on February 11, 2019, 02:26:18 PMI am just replacing the old color bar with the new one, but using the old color bar name.
Brilliant!
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

Mikie

Quote from: born2print on February 11, 2019, 02:32:47 PM
Quote from: Mikie on February 11, 2019, 02:26:18 PMI am just replacing the old color bar with the new one, but using the old color bar name.
Brilliant!

Or as others have pointed out in my career, "hacky as shit" lol

Joe

Quote from: Mikie on February 11, 2019, 02:26:18 PMJust wanted to say thanks guys. I have been playing with this and it is going to work using the create imposition option Mr. Curry pointed out to me. Because of our workflow it is going to be faster to just reimposed everything at the plate setter rather than trying to track down the thousands of jobs I already had .pjtf and .ps files in.

One thing I am doing slightly different is instead of changing the template file using a text editor, I am just replacing the old color bar with the new one, but using the old color bar name. I know some templates are gonna break, but the majority should go fine. So in prinergy when i create imposition, and select an existing template file, it uses the new color bar :). I did test renaming the color bar in the template as text, and it did indeed work. But didn't solve my other issue.

So THANKS!!! You guys saved me a lot of time.

Yeah we use the built in create imposition tool as well. Only go into Preps if we have to create/modify a template.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

born2print

Quote from: Mikie on February 11, 2019, 03:30:20 PM
Quote from: born2print on February 11, 2019, 02:32:47 PM
Brilliant!

Or as others have pointed out in my career, "hacky as shit" lol
:shrug: I am results oriented I guess.
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

whamboozeled

Quote from: DCurry on February 07, 2019, 11:43:33 AMBecause of the overall suckitude of any version after 5,

I just started using preps 8 from 5 and This is my feeling exactly.

Tracy

DigiCorn

Haven't had to use it in over 2+ years, but version 5 was okay... I liked 6 because you could see in real time what was going on, without having to create previews, and once you figured out all the counter-intuitive shit, and reprogrammed one of the preference files, it was an improvement. 7 though, was as buggy as day-old-shit on a major city's dumpsite.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway