Need a good scanner for Mac High Sierra

Started by David, October 15, 2018, 03:02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David

anyone got any input on a scanner for Mac?
Our old Microtek 9800XL is too old to connect to any Mac we have, the Mac it was plugged into died. Can't find any software that works on the new OS and connects to an ole ass scanner.   

Needs to be at least 12x17 scan size, high res, yada yada yada

TIA!!
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Tracy

shoo doggies, expensive!
I have the same situation old old mac runs a big Epson scanner
I don't turn it off, not sure if it will start back up :laugh:

David

yeah, the new Macs are too new for the old scanner and we have one old mac that is too old for this scanner.

go figure.

:shoots_self:
Livin' la Vida Loca

Tracy

Your scanner must be new than mine, mine has a big ol Fat cable and connector, called a SCSI or something?

DPSprint

Quote from: Tracy on October 16, 2018, 12:09:12 PMYour scanner must be new than mine, mine has a big ol Fat cable and connector, called a SCSI or something?
LOL
thats brings back memories... SCSI connections!

Tracy

You know what's weird? It's a really good scanner

David

I found the instructions for this one, it says to make sure that the SCSI connector is set to 5 on the computer running windows.

:o
Livin' la Vida Loca

Tracy

:laugh: whatever that means.
I had to mark the cables and where they go when we moved.
It's a miracle it started up

Joe

It means you gotta have the scanner and the SCSI adapter on the same SCSI ID. As much as I've tried to forget SCSI it won't get out of my head.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Quote from: Joe on October 16, 2018, 04:03:19 PMIt means you gotta have the scanner and the SCSI adapter on the same SCSI ID. As much as I've tried to forget SCSI it won't get out of my head.

... all linked by a daisy chain.   :naughty: 
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Slappy

And don't forget to terminate! Ahhhhh, that was some fun stuff.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

DPSprint

haha... the young'ins have it so easy these days with plug and play!

and usb... OMG that was such a fabulous invention

Slappy

Don't they? I seem to recall there being a specific program (NOT app) that would scan all the channels in use, so you'd know which were left free before chaining another device & getting a SCSI error. OS 7 maybe?
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

scottrsimons

I remember it too. One of my favorite utilities back in the day. I think it was by either SyQuest or MircoNet. Been too long, or just long enough.
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson