News:

Main Menu

PTR-8000 Dead

Started by Ear, March 02, 2010, 03:06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ear

ummm.... does anyone happen to have a spare set of tail clamps for a PTR-8000 that they want to sell me?

Question #2: Can anyone, besides me (new talent), imitate the sound of a platesetter hucking a tail clamp at 1000rpm?  :death: I'll tell ya, it's not too different from a small-block V8 throwing a rod.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Santa

Heard that sound once.....not pretty, amazingly no damage to the machine, just the $$$$$$$$$ of the tail clamps.

Ear

Yep... new tail clamps on the way. I was able to fire it up and run a print head test... lost a diode in the process so we'll get a 2-for-1 on the service call.  :laugh: :undecided:

Tail clamps = $3000
New Diode = $1300
Service Call = $2000
something something darkside = priceless
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Farabomb

I wasn't here when the CAT threw the plate and mat but I was told it was quite violent.

Sound close to THIS around :20 or so? It's not a rickroll, just a friend lunching a motor at NJMP. Or maybe This around 20:30? Funny, I think both the incidents in the video together didn't equal the cost of your incident.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: Earendil on March 02, 2010, 03:06:13 PMummm.... does anyone happen to have a spare set of tail clamps for a PTR-8000 that they want to sell me?

Question #2: Can anyone, besides me (new talent), imitate the sound of a platesetter hucking a tail clamp at 1000rpm?  :death: I'll tell ya, it's not too different from a small-block V8 throwing a rod.

Damn, I left them in my other pants. :laugh:

Sorry though. :wink: Sounds like you've been having some fun. :tongue:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Ear

Quote from: Farabomb on March 02, 2010, 04:06:31 PMI wasn't here when the CAT threw the plate and mat but I was told it was quite violent.

Sound close to THIS around :20 or so? It's not a rickroll, just a friend lunching a motor at NJMP. Or maybe This around 20:30? Funny, I think both the incidents in the video together didn't equal the cost of your incident.

Well, I wasn't pulling that many revs but ya, pretty close.... *BANG - BANG - flappity flappity flappity crunch crunch*  :laugh:

Ear

Quote from: Joe on March 02, 2010, 08:05:12 PM
Quote from: Earendil on March 02, 2010, 03:06:13 PMummm.... does anyone happen to have a spare set of tail clamps for a PTR-8000 that they want to sell me?

Damn, I left them in my other pants. :laugh:

Sorry though. :wink: Sounds like you've been having some fun. :tongue:

Ya, fun.  :rolleyes:

They are supposed to be here today to service it but we have a TON of work. I wanted to wait it out because I know the dangers of bad tail clamps. The owner likes to gamble so he told me to give it a shot. I am very mechanical... or maniacal... anyway, it blew all 6 springs out of the one clamp so I fabricated new ones from my back-hairs, switched to half power to compensate for the blown diode and so far, we have 40 plates off since the *episode*. Didn't even have to use duct tape.

Farabomb

Should have seen the size of the hole it blew in the block. Took out everything, no usable parts from that engine. When we had it on the engine stand and flipped it over for the first time it sounded like someone threw a handful of change in there. Made for great ashtrays thou.  :cool:
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Ear

haaahaaaa

I was on a school-bus that blew a rod, back in high school. It was a pusher and it threw it right through the side of the body. We all thought it was cool but the driver was not amused.

David

had my HD Sportster blow a head gasket while I was doing about 100...

hot oil all down your leg is no fun

took it apart and had a hole about the size of a quarter in the top of the piston
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

DigiCorn

Circa December 1990 my cuz had a friend with a '55 Bel Air with a 440 (he also had a 454 and the means to swap engines at will). Because of this, he called it the "little" engine. My cuz also had a friend with a newer model 'Vette. Somehow we talked them into racing, and as they roared side-by-side we heard a sickening sound as the Bel Air's trasmission popped out of gear, over-revved and... well, you know the rest. Luckily, the rod didn't go through the valve cover, but it wasn't much fun riding in the back of his Dad's pickup as he hooked up the Bel Air and towed it home.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Ear

haahaa... Big Block 440 the "little" engine.

tapdn

I love how these topics can go from tail clamps on a PTR-8000 to throwing a rod on a big block 440  :laugh:
usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

DigiCorn

I love how all PrePress guys have eerily similar interests beyond work.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

David

can someone fetch me a cole one?

need a 1/2 open end to tighten down on this nut...
where's my socket wrench?
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca