Add filename without extension

Started by Kermy812, October 20, 2018, 03:15:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kermy812

So I have tons of pdfs that are named by the item code, but it's not on the pdf itself. I know I can do add a text action and use the  %Current Document Name% as a variable, but I don't want to add the ".pdf". If my pdf is named CODE_XYZ.pdf, I want to have CODE_XYZ as the code added to the sign. Anyway to do with pitstop?

Kermy812

The more I think about it - I guess it's simple enough to select all of the pdf's from the finder right-click and just rename all to remove the .pdf from the filename, the run the action. Then rename all to add the .pdf back.

Slappy

Was going to suggest that, unless you've got to do it repeatedly all day, every day. I bet that can be tied into an Action through Automater to just Drag & Drop the files, or an actionscript.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

swampymarsh

We really need the ability to add regular expressions or otherwise alter the default variables (javascript or something), add new "user defined" variables or have a new variable for separate filename and separate extension, or a search/replace text option (which is hard to do with PDF text) etc.

I have a half-arsed solution that works in an action list to remove ".pdf"  – as long as the filename does not actually contain the characters "." or "p" or "d" or "f" elsewhere, which is not that useful in practice ("dog.pdf" would become "og" etc)!

Fat Boy Tim

Quote from: Kermy812 on October 20, 2018, 03:15:46 PMSo I have tons of pdfs that are named by the item code, but it's not on the pdf itself. I know I can do add a text action and use the  %Current Document Name% as a variable, but I don't want to add the ".pdf". If my pdf is named CODE_XYZ.pdf, I want to have CODE_XYZ as the code added to the sign. Anyway to do with pitstop?

Ok... So you can add this as action list or global change. Not sure if you get any extra options in global change. I'm away from the office.

Can you add the text in the top right hand corner so .pdf is always in the same place every time and then mask it with a small white rectangular in the next action ?

Joe

Or ask ABC to change %Current Document Name% as just the name minus the extension and then add an %Current Document NameExtension% as the full name with the extension. Win Win for everyone.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Kermy812

Tim, The job is long and gone, but that was great idea, but all my backgrounds are different. But that gave me an idea for future that I could just do action do draw a box, select the new code & simply make mask too hide the ".pdf"
Joe, I'm a bit confused on what you are meaning by "Or ask ABC to change %Current Document Name%..."

Joe

ABC is the product manager for Pitstop. If they could give you the option of using %Current Document Name% without the extension it would solve your issue. Make a feature request with Enfocus.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.