News:

Main Menu

Esko's i-Cut?

Started by hotmetal, February 10, 2011, 07:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotmetal

Apparently the boss is attempting to fix a non-existent problem by buying an expensive software package that will automate the simple stuff but never, in my experience, be able to work its way through the really hard stuff no matter what the sales rep tells you. Most of what we do is extremely complicated and one-of-a-kind, and the files are always delivered in a big rush with alts coming in via email before the FTP download is done, and they were apparently built by a tradeshop in Elbonia.

Wasn't even sure where to post this as the Esko etc. keeps morphing. I've been a power-user since Artwork Systems was called PCC (for "Professional Computer Corporation") and now the boss has gone and bought i-Cut. I've been trying for years to get him to invest in some PDF and Pitstop training, but instead he's apparently bought into the automation fantasy of buying expensive all-incompasing software packages to do stuff that the less-competent operators can't be bothered to learn to do on their own. I personally don't think it has anything to do with learning and everything to do with not giving a shit.

Anyway —

Anyone have firsthand knowledge of i-Cut? Esko recently bought it from a company in Wisconsin. Looks like I'll be learning it. Fine with me, I love learning this shit. Even when it doesn't do what it claims it does and never gets used, I'll master it. It's what I do. (That and 50 cents gets me a cup of bad coffee.)
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." ...
Hunter S. Thompson

David

never heard of it, till now...

QuoteEliminate bottlenecks
i-cut Suite tackles all bottlenecks in your workflow. From preflighting PDF files, preparing graphics, creating layouts, to printing, and finishing in perfect registration. i-cut Suite streamlines every step of the way.

sounds like you can be taking a lot of coffee breaks after it gets installed.    :sarcasm:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

hotmetal

Quote from: david on February 11, 2011, 08:25:38 AM
i-cut Suite tackles all bottlenecks in your workflow. From preflighting PDF files, preparing graphics, creating layouts, to printing, and finishing in perfect registration. i-cut Suite streamlines every step of the way.

sounds like you can be taking a lot of coffee breaks after it gets installed.    :sarcasm:

heh!                   :poohitfan

(love these new smilies!)
Hunter S. Thompson

Farabomb

Quote from: david on February 11, 2011, 08:25:38 AMnever heard of it, till now...

So it kills all the managers, CSRs, salesmen, customers and pressmen? What is left to print?

Oops, I left out designers.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

andyfest

In Esko-speak, i-cut will be the next bottleneck in your otherwise streamlined workflows....
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

hotmetal

Quote from: andyfest on February 11, 2011, 12:41:54 PMIn Esko-speak, i-cut will be the next bottleneck in your otherwise streamlined workflows....

I played with it a little and watched a really bad demo the other day. Training later this week. In theory it might be useful. Only one way to find out...
Hunter S. Thompson

Captain_Type

I wonder if the first iteration of it is "i-Cut One."
Esko Automation Engine 23
ArtPro+ 23
Javelin Imagesetter

David

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Livin' la Vida Loca

Farabomb

They do have a mac version.

Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

David

I assume they have an app for that?
Livin' la Vida Loca

gnubler

For what, self mutilation?

Things are so easy now. When I was 16 I actually had to cut myself with a razor blade to punish myself. (no Photoshop)
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david