by Joe
November 02, 2018, 02:36:22 PM

xx
Acrobat excessive RAM usage
by Joe
November 01, 2018, 06:02:04 PM

Topic: New Windows 10 PC (Read 2666 times) previous topic - next topic

New Windows 10 PC

Got my kid a gaming PC and want to protect it from viruses malware etc...any recommendations on what software to get?

Re: New Windows 10 PC

Reply #1
Malwarebytes and the Windows built in Windows Defender.

The free version of Malwarebytes can fix your PC after an infection. The paid version prevents that from happening in the first place.
Mac OS 10.12 Sierra | Prinergy 7.5 | Adobe Creative Cloud 2017 | Two Luscher XPose 160 CTP units

Prepress: One who does precision guess work based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Reply #2
Malwarebytes and the Windows built in Windows Defender.

The free version of Malwarebytes can fix your PC after an infection. The paid version prevents that from happening in the first place.

Thanks Joe.

Reply #3
Best software on the market - Malwarebytes
"I'm not addicted to cocaine. I just like the way it smells."
– Richard Pryor

“Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Reply #4
How about not hooking the new system up to the internet? That should keep it safe.   :tongue:

Reply #5
Heck yes, StuporGrover. Works with Cylons too.  :toaster:
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Reply #6
I have to get a PC (yucky) so I can do Homework for my AutoCad class
I'm a PC tard, any tips on what to look for would be much appreciated!

Reply #7
I have to get a PC (yucky) so I can do Homework for my AutoCad class
I'm a PC tard, any tips on what to look for would be much appreciated!

These days I only buy Dells. Got tired of building my own. Anything goes wrong with your Dell in the warranty period and they fix it.
Mac OS 10.12 Sierra | Prinergy 7.5 | Adobe Creative Cloud 2017 | Two Luscher XPose 160 CTP units

Prepress: One who does precision guess work based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Reply #8
I second what Joe says. I used to sell, and build systems. After the fun wore off, I just like to buy a system with a full warranty. But remember to do the system backups when you get them to make your system DVDs. Most people forget until it's needed and it's too late.
Mac • Prinergy 8 • Preps 8 • RBA • Fusion Pro

"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

"Those who make you mad, control you."

Reply #9
While building is fun, it is very expensive right now. Not as expensive as it was months ago with the whole bitcoin mining fiasco but still graphics cards are going for roughly 150%-200% MSRP. I very strongly suggest getting a pre-built machine. What are the system requirements for the CAD program?

When you do get around to buying, I'd suggest checking out Newegg.

I actually got a gaming rig for my birthday this year, just had to throw in my old graphics card which is really crappy so that's the only bad thing on it - my wife and some friends pooled money together to build me one since I've been trying to figure out how to swing it for the last two years.

Reply #10
Uh, Good question about the Sys Requirements! sheesh didn't even think of that
I get AutoCad for Free right now while I'm in school. Not sure but I heard it was a very expensive program.

I will get a Dell, check requirements and Video Card, and Backup as soon as I get it?
Scott, so you mean Burn disks of the OS? prolly have questions after I get it!

There goes that Bonus :laugh:

Reply #11
I've had my current build for 8-9 years now and it's still going fairly strong, but I would like to rebuild a new one because I like to tinker. I can still add on to this one - I have room for about 16 more GB RAM and can still upgrade my video card, but the 3-core AMD is probably getting taxed.
"I'm not addicted to cocaine. I just like the way it smells."
– Richard Pryor

“Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Reply #12
Uh, Good question about the Sys Requirements! sheesh didn't even think of that
I get AutoCad for Free right now while I'm in school. Not sure but I heard it was a very expensive program.

I will get a Dell, check requirements and Video Card, and Backup as soon as I get it?
Scott, so you mean Burn disks of the OS? prolly have questions after I get it!

There goes that Bonus :laugh:

Tracy. Check newegg.com like someone mentioned. They sell Dells and they frequently run a sale and they are cheaper than buying them through Dell.

About the disks...they do not come with any disks if you ever do have a problem and like Born said...it is too late when you do have a problem so the first thing you need to do is make an emergency system restore disk when you get the new PC. I usually buy an 8 GB thumb drive and install it on there and then throw it in a drawer until needed.

Reply #13
Got it! I will check New Egg
Thanks Guys, glad I asked!!  :kiss:

Reply #14
Got it! I will check New Egg
Thanks Guys, glad I asked!!  :kiss:

Sign up for their daily email. You will get things in it that are not shown on their website. They put a new one out daily. If you aren't in a terrible rush you should see a Dell on sale before long.