Data Base / File Management

Started by beck, August 10, 2010, 11:16:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beck

We are currently using file management software called Job Server, made by CSS Solutions.  Works really nice all the way around - ease of searching, archiving, sorting, blah blah blah.

We are (unfortunately) considering switching, since we were informed that it is being phased out.

What does everyone else use for data management?  We'd probably like to switch on 1/1/2011.

Thanks,

beck
Nevertheless....beck has hit the proverbial nail on the head.
Joe

Joe

A FileMaker Pro database developed by...ME. (Not recommended) :laugh:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

David

I got a guy...

well, I used to have a guy, now all I got is a room full of computers and nobody in there...
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

beck

Quote from: gnubler on August 10, 2010, 11:21:38 AMData mgmt for what exactly?

All our jobs.

The software tracks Job Number, Archive location, etc.

Back in the day, we just created a huge Excel spreadsheet... we're WAY more advanced now.  :tongue:

beck
Nevertheless....beck has hit the proverbial nail on the head.
Joe

gnubler

This was discussed in some other (probably totally off topic) thread a few weeks back. I used to use the simple Apple alias method (creating aliases from everything on an archive disk into an organized folder hierarchy on my local HD). It's kind of sucky, though.

I have Toast Titanium which came with Disk Catalog Maker and it works so I use it.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Quote from: Joe on August 10, 2010, 11:20:18 AMA FileMaker Pro database developed by...ME. (Not recommended) :laugh:

I want to clarify what I wrote earlier...

FileMaker Pro is very capable. It's just me doing the db work that I don't recommend.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

Quote from: Joe on August 10, 2010, 12:19:55 PM
Quote from: Joe on August 10, 2010, 11:20:18 AMA FileMaker Pro database developed by...ME. (Not recommended) :laugh:

FileMaker Pro is very capable. It's just me doing the db work that I don't recommend.
I set up a FP Pro file for internal use, i.e. job notes.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

frailer

It's OK, we understood that, Joe.   :evil:

Hard to know though, as some people are in much bigger places than others. If you are talking prepress-only, we use DVD archiving, in tandem with CD Finder.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Lumpy

Quote from: digital@sig-1.com on August 10, 2010, 01:10:07 PM

I set up a FP Pro file for internal use, i.e. job notes.

That sounds interesting, what else do you use it for?
Son you better watch your back when a poor man gets the blues.

Lumpy

Quote from: beck  on August 10, 2010, 11:16:08 AMWe are currently using file management software called Job Server, made by CSS Solutions.  Works really nice all the way around - ease of searching, archiving, sorting, blah blah blah.

We are (unfortunately) considering switching, since we were informed that it is being phased out.

What does everyone else use for data management?  We'd probably like to switch on 1/1/2011.

Thanks,

beck

Would this be something similar to Rampage Pathway?
Son you better watch your back when a poor man gets the blues.

Ice9

We were using DLT and AIT tapes and Arcserve.  But we are now backing up to cd's and dvd's and using Disk Catalog Maker.

The Stevinator

This topic seems a little too vague for us to give you a proper response.  If you're talking about asset management (such as artwork, etc...) that can be a totally different answer than say, job related data.

If you're talking about job data, the first question I'd ask is what kind of order management system your company uses.  If your company doesn't have an order management system, well, then I can see why your concerned.

For someone with no budget and some knowledge of databases and minor programming skills I'd recommend ms access.  Yes, I hate ms as much as any other god-fearing prepresser, but access actually has some pretty redeeming qualities.

Now, if you're talking about asset management, hopefully you have a somewhat decent naming convention.  If you're using access you can setup direct links to the directory of wherever that job's files are at.

Now, if you're talking about backups, well, that can be more complicated than I care to type.  I'd probably just keep it simple and setup a RAID to handle the data storage (CDs/Tapes/etc... suck).

Hope this helps.
SJM