Folded Self Mailers - new regs info

Started by t-pat, February 20, 2013, 11:33:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

t-pat

Quote from: gnubler on February 20, 2013, 05:54:45 PMNear the end she said "Got it?" and I said "no."

Why is everything so complicated?

you want complicated? Go look this up in the DMM - compared to that shit she made it very simple. Fucking postal-speak needs a universal translator. And then you're still at the mercy of whoever is making "exceptions" at the postal facility you drop at. We drop at several, every single one of them wants their paperwork prepared differently than the other, and will reject the drop without explanation if it doesn't smell right to them.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian

Ear

Yep, same here. We drop at several different postal locations and have the same experience. They're a PITA! So, if you are a print shop with a mail house, prepress not only has to deal with proper artwork, we also have to keep a keen eye on the mail pieces. If you screw up, it can be big money. No margin on postage, like printed material.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Earendil on February 20, 2013, 06:13:41 PMYep, same here. We drop at several different postal locations and have the same experience. They're a PITA! So, if you are a print shop with a mail house, prepress not only has to deal with proper artwork, we also have to keep a keen eye on the mail pieces. If you screw up, it can be big money. No margin on postage, like printed material.

Not if you have people that are hired to do that. :tongue:
Member #285 - Civilian

t-pat

Our mailing supervisor is on the board of a local mailing org that has regular meetings with the postal people. He gets shit for being out of the building at these meetings, but I tell you, he gets shit through that without that inside relationship would not happen. Also he is very creative about saving the customer postage by giving different options, doing drop ships to NDC's and SCF's, and a lot of other shit I don't pretend to understand.
vdp donkey

Ear

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on February 20, 2013, 06:15:54 PM
Quote from: Earendil on February 20, 2013, 06:13:41 PMYep, same here. We drop at several different postal locations and have the same experience. They're a PITA! So, if you are a print shop with a mail house, prepress not only has to deal with proper artwork, we also have to keep a keen eye on the mail pieces. If you screw up, it can be big money. No margin on postage, like printed material.

Hired to do what? We have a mailing supervisor, and he is a bro. But he is not prepress and doesn't see artwork. I usually just bounce the PDF off him for approval.

It's okay, you're in packaging... I wouldn't expect you to understand.  :tongue:
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Earendil on February 20, 2013, 06:18:53 PM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on February 20, 2013, 06:15:54 PM

Hired to do what? We have a mailing supervisor, and he is a bro. But he is not prepress and doesn't see artwork. I usually just bounce the PDF off him for approval.

It's okay, you're in packaging... I wouldn't expect you to understand.  :tongue:

No, we have a full service mail-room with a mailing dude and 3 helpers. He also does a lot of his own work. I got him a copy of Pitstop last year, dramatically decreased my intervention. He doubles up with the DI pressman, who also knows a shitload about mailing. It's all about compartmentalizing, and departmentalizing the flow, brother. I do Prepress, he does mailing, the receptionist answers the phones, the CSRs handle the customers and pukes. I do less, so I can do more. Just an example of how different our environments are.
Member #285 - Civilian

Ear

Thank you for elaborating on what the receptionist does.  :rolleyes:

So, you make your mail supervisor do prepress? That's the opposite of compartmentalizing. I do the graphics and prepress, and shoot the mail super a PDF to proof and sign off on before doing my part. I wouldn't expect my mail department to crack pitstop anymore than they would hand me a mail list to sort.

The more you talk about it, the more it sounds like you do more so you can do more, then bitch about how much more you do.  :laugh:

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Earendil on February 20, 2013, 06:35:46 PMThank you for elaborating on what the receptionist does.  :rolleyes:

So, you make your mail supervisor do prepress? That's the opposite of compartmentalizing. I do the graphics and prepress, and shoot the mail super a PDF to proof and sign off on before doing my part. I wouldn't expect my mail department to crack pitstop anymore than they would hand me a mail list to sort.

The more you talk about it, the more it sounds like you do more so you can do more, then bitch about how much more you do.  :laugh:

I just wanted to make sure YOU knew what a receptionist does, and how rewarding a career it is. I really envy that part of your job. :kona:

We get so much mailing shit in here, it was bogging down my day. He has a background in graphics, he wanted to take care of it so he would have more control and not have to wait on us, so I hooked him up. That is exactly the definition of compartmentalizing. The mailing is contained in the mailing room. The only time I have to be involved, is when he has trouble. It's a win/win for me. You probably understand this as much as I understand trying to educate the endless customer base we have here.

As far as my workload? I have dwindled this department from 7 to 3. That's a lot of it. The rest is just the sheer volume we get from the multitude of brain-dead pukes that turn in work. Last time I counted we have 10 full-time Pukes. Plus the PM does all the house accounts and we also have a banking, stationery and furniture division.

I don't bitch about how much I do. I complain about WHAT I have to do. Big difference. I like working, I hate working for people who like to impose their work on me because they are fucking Sausages. Again, big difference.
Member #285 - Civilian

Ear

I understand everything. I just like effing with you so you get worked up and type a big ol dissertation.  :grin:

... and I ain't no receptionist. Just cuz you called your mom that one time and I answered... doesn't mean I answer phones here at work.  :evil:

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Earendil on February 20, 2013, 06:55:13 PMI understand everything. I just like effing with you so you get worked up and type a big ol dissertation.  :grin:

... and I ain't no receptionist. Just cuz you called your mom that one time and I answered... doesn't mean I answer phones here at work.  :evil:

LIAR! My mother is a slimmer version of Jabba the Hutt with Tammy Faye eyelashes! If you're tagging on that, you have lost several points on the coolness scale. Not because she's my mother, but because I thought you had better taste!

I know, man. You always have to let the cat out of the bag to ease people's thoughts that we despise each other. You and I have had some epic arguments, and all the while I have nothing but the deepest respect for you. Even though you're a queer receptionist.
Member #285 - Civilian

t-pat

Quote from: Earendil on February 20, 2013, 06:18:53 PM...We have a mailing supervisor, and he is a bro. But he is not prepress and doesn't see artwork. I usually just bounce the PDF off him for approval.

That's what we have, exactly.
vdp donkey

Ear

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on February 20, 2013, 07:02:41 PM
Quote from: Earendil on February 20, 2013, 06:55:13 PMI understand everything. I just like effing with you so you get worked up and type a big ol dissertation.  :grin:

LIAR! My mother is a slimmer version of Jabba the Hutt with Tammy Faye eyelashes! If you're tagging on that, you have lost several points on the coolness scale. Not because she's my mother, but because I thought you had better taste!

I know, man. You always have to let the cat out of the bag to ease people's thoughts that we despise each other. You and I have had some epic arguments, and all the while I have nothing but the deepest respect for you. Even though you're a queer receptionist.

What ever gave you the impression I had better taste?

Just because I talk on the phone (csr), doesn't mean I answer the phone (receptionist). We have a receptionist... she is currently doing what you do in your off time... hanging out of facebewk. She's also a size 14, so I think the two of you would get along splendidly.

t-pat

aaaaaand another successful thread jack.  :banana:
vdp donkey

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Earendil on February 21, 2013, 11:34:44 AM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on February 20, 2013, 07:02:41 PM

What ever gave you the impression I had better taste?

Just because I talk on the phone (csr), doesn't mean I answer the phone (receptionist). We have a receptionist... she is currently doing what you do in your off time... hanging out of facebewk. She's also a size 14, so I think the two of you would get along splendidly.

All joking aside, what's her number?
Member #285 - Civilian