WTF is this?

Started by pspdfppdfxhd, April 28, 2014, 05:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pspdfppdfxhd

JOB KNOWLEDGE AND EDUCATION
College Diploma in Digital production / Digital media arts / Digital design. Knowledge in:
Professional publishing applications for MAC OS or PC including: Quark Express, Adobe PageMaker, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Acrobat, Adobe Photoshop, Microsoft Word and Corel Draw, Print Ready or Prinergy.
Adequate knowledge of Macintosh and Windows platforms and operating systems.
Knowledge of PDF and postscript files and PDF plug-ins.
Ability to prepare files for output to press (spot and 4-colour process), receive and manipulate file electronically and maintain operating system on production machine.
Knowledge of printing terminology and practices.
Quality Control
Fine Arts

QuarkXpress and Adobe PAgemaker, 1,2 on the  :drunk3: list? WTF

pspdfppdfxhd

pspdfppdfxhd

part of a job description posted today by a fairly well known large company around here.  :drunk3: I know, its Canada,  :drunk3: but WTF  :drunk3:

Joe

Probably a stock description some HR tool has had in his desk for 15 years.

What gets me is when they add the "College Diploma in Digital production / Digital media arts / Digital design." I can't speak for Canada but I see these types of ads around here all the time and it is usually followed by "wages start at $8.00 per hour"! And then these places will complain when they get some tool with a college diploma that doesn't know shit about printing or most of the software on the list.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Slappy

QuoteAdequate knowledge of Macintosh and Windows platforms and operating systems.
:lmao:

Yeah, "adequate" knowledge should do the trick!
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

jimking

Most likely a company that receives files from all over the world. Quark I use everyday because of repeat jobs that were originally created and recreated in Quark. This company most likely has a client who still uses Pageraker, although Indy can open those files. No mention of FreeHand or Live Picture. My understanding is Corel is very popular in some parts of Europe, Africa, Asia.

StudioMonkey

Quote from: jimking on April 29, 2014, 06:55:48 AMMy understanding is Corel is very popular in some parts of Europe, Africa, Asia.

It might be used a lot but it's not very popular at all.
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

DigiCorn

Many sign shops or shops that do screenprinting and/or embroidery use Corel Draw also
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

pspdfppdfxhd

Quote from: StudioMonkey on April 29, 2014, 09:08:00 AM
Quote from: jimking on April 29, 2014, 06:55:48 AMMy understanding is Corel is very popular in some parts of Europe, Africa, Asia.

It might be used a lot but it's not very popular at all.

Very popular in Cuba too, I'm sure U.S. companies don't do "Cuban" but we've done quite a bit over the years.

Actually pumped out some high quality Cuban travel magazines from Corel draw. Exporting decent pdfs was not too hard because the files were set up properly.

Designia(o_O)

Can you get a college degree in prepress? Or, excuse me, digital production? Job postings like that make me so angry. For the time you have to put in to become adept at these programs on both platforms and then they're going to offer you $15/hr. It's crazy.

Farabomb

They want the moon and stars but don't want to pay for it.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

born2print

Quote from: DesigniaToo on May 02, 2014, 10:40:35 AMCan you get a college degree in prepress? Or, excuse me, digital production? Job postings like that make me so angry. For the time you have to put in to become adept at these programs on both platforms and then they're going to offer you $15/hr. It's crazy.
Especially if minimum wage goes up to $13 hr.
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

DigiCorn

What never made any sense to me is a dezinger with a degree knows NOTHING about printing, and makes $50/hr and does nothing but schmooze clients. A prepresser knows everything, but has no degree, fixes everything the dezinger does, and makes the client happy, but makes half as much and does three times as much work. In what world does that make sense?

That's really fucked up, man.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Quote from: born2print on May 02, 2014, 11:30:18 AM
Quote from: DesigniaToo on May 02, 2014, 10:40:35 AMCan you get a college degree in prepress? Or, excuse me, digital production? Job postings like that make me so angry. For the time you have to put in to become adept at these programs on both platforms and then they're going to offer you $15/hr. It's crazy.
Especially if minimum wage goes up to $13 hr.

Never gonna happen.

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on May 02, 2014, 11:36:45 AMWhat never made any sense to me is a dezinger with a degree knows NOTHING about printing, and makes $50/hr and does nothing but schmooze clients. A prepresser knows everything, but has no degree, fixes everything the dezinger does, and makes the client happy, but makes half as much and does three times as much work. In what world does that make sense?

That's really fucked up, man.

Because you don't prostitute yourself like a $2 hooker?