iGen - Thoughts?

Started by Lammy, October 04, 2012, 02:29:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lammy

Owner came back from a trade show today and is talking about looking into getting an iGen. Any users with suggestions or thoughts about what to look for? I think, from what I've heard, I'd really rather have an Indego 3000. IMO ya just can't beat wet ink.
Lammy ~ Everyone says a monkey can do it, but no one ever asks the monkey!

72+ cases - wood & metal type & sorts • LInotype Model 31 • Hohner B tabletop • Golding #7 Jobber • ATF Little Giant • Heidelberg S Cylinder

Slappy

I interviewed a places with iGens and the were pretty nice for not being "real" ink. Indigo will beat all of hem for quality hands-down imo, but the maintenance & consumables can kill you. A 3000 is pretty old considering the current 13x19" model is the 7500 I believe. A refurbed 7000 might be worth considering if he's willing to go the HP route.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Chilbear

I think you also have to think about an off line coating machine to "seal" the surface. It could be a 1/c press with varnish or off line AQ or UV. HP looked great but BC for example needed to be coated to prevent smearing unless they have fix that. My experience is about 4 years old with respect to HP5000 version.

As another idea - I tried out for a job that used a Ricoh copier running the large sheet and it duplexed also. They had the UV off line - was real estate slime cards.

Slappy

Yeah, the last place I was at had bought an offline UV coater & never got around to using it on any live jobs but it sure was cool looking!
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Stiv

iGen trained and certified here.

Don't do it.

Start getting the work in and send it all out. In the meantime, learn VDP & what can go digital and what should not go digital.

After you have a base set-up then start looking at your options.

Lammy

Thanks all, keep it coming.

I prolly mis-spoke, they would be looking at the newest models, or possible a leftover. I though the 3000 was the latest iGen. Still researching.

They have the base for sure. 10million clicks on two 700s in 18 moths!!!

72+ cases - wood & metal type & sorts • LInotype Model 31 • Hohner B tabletop • Golding #7 Jobber • ATF Little Giant • Heidelberg S Cylinder

Stiv

If you run BW, then you may want to look at the Nuvera instead of an iGen.

The iGen has a few flavors iGen4-90 & iGen4-110. There are 2 others that are even faster.

Here is a link to a great resource http://www.colorprintingforum.com/digital-printing-press-forum/

Take a looky-loo.

Lammy

Anyone know the cost difference between ands iGen4 and a Indigo 5000 or 7000?

DigiCorn

Our Xerox tech works on a local iGen (we don't have one) almost daily. He's a great tech, so I think it's a machine issue. He doesn't recommend it.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

gnubler

Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Stiv

So I am now trained and certified on the iGen3 and the Indigo 7600.

These are two very different machines. PM or email me with ?'s.

gnubler

Was there good beer in the city you went for training? Just wondering. :laugh:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Stiv

Quote from: gnubler on November 18, 2012, 09:45:24 PMWas there good beer in the city you went for training? Just wondering. :laugh:
I got wasted on Odouls and Kaliber.  :drunk3:

DigiCorn

I got Kaliber here at the $.99 store. They have that and some stuff from Albania called Korca. It's a little burnt and bitter.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Farabomb

Non-alcoholic beer? Most useless thing ever.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job