Digital printing that "Looks Like Offset"

Started by Lammy, August 07, 2013, 01:10:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lammy

So . . . . with our iGen 4 this was a big deal. With the matte inks it's looks almost undistinguishable from an offset sheet, especially on dull or uncoated stock. What I'm finding however is most all of our customers that are having us print what used to be spot color work on an uncoated sheet don't like the the results. We go through the pains of making sure we're printing the Pantone Uncoated match of a color for a job on uncoated stock, which the iGen does hit very well. Most of the time, however, the customer ends up wanting the coated color. Since it's not ink on paper we can actually do this just by renaming the color C instead of U. Doesn't this really defeat the purpose of "looks like offset" though?

How many others of you are running into this?
Lammy ~ Everyone says a monkey can do it, but no one ever asks the monkey!

72+ cases - wood & metal type & sorts • LInotype Model 31 • Hohner B tabletop • Golding #7 Jobber • ATF Little Giant • Heidelberg S Cylinder

jimking

gnubler

Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

born2print

Hi Lammy!
I had a business card printed the other day and I was impressed just how much it looked like offset, but this is not really your question.
Now I am curious and need to check the swatches!  :ninja:
My lips are moving and the sound's coming out
The words are audible but I have my doubts
That you realize what has been said

DigiCorn

Quote from: Lammy on August 07, 2013, 01:10:51 PMSo . . . . with our iGen 4 this was a big deal. With the matte inks it's looks almost undistinguishable from an offset sheet, especially on dull or uncoated stock. What I'm finding however is most all of our customers that are having us print what used to be spot color work on an uncoated sheet don't like the the results. We go through the pains of making sure we're printing the Pantone Uncoated match of a color for a job on uncoated stock, which the iGen does hit very well. Most of the time, however, the customer ends up wanting the coated color. Since it's not ink on paper we can actually do this just by renaming the color C instead of U. Doesn't this really defeat the purpose of "looks like offset" though?

How many others of you are running into this?
right here :hello:

on the Fiery we sometimes have to choose "match pantone" or "do not match" depending on the customer
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Slappy

No solution, but I can't wait to install our iGen later this year.  :sarcasm: Fckin' sales twats bill these machines as "Just like offset!" and even veteran ink jockeys in-house buy that crap & we're left exactly where Lammy is talking about.

Kill me now.  :hangme:
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

WharfRat

As you are finding out ...
I find that the artists do not know how the Pantone swatches work in the digital world
and
ALWAYS want the "C" swatch.

We convert the file to "C" at the time we are processing it in the PrePress.
We can always go back for the 1 in 500 jobs that need it.

MSD

DigiCorn

At 8 I leave for an all-day demo on wide format, a new 4-c digital press and a new K digital press.   :sleepy:
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Grimace

So, being unfamiliar with the iGen, I googled and checked it out, the first thing I noticed is that it does not do a weight heavier than 130lb. That seems pretty limiting to me for such a "work horse" of a printer. I can get that thickness through our Konica 6501, and do on a pretty regular basis. I just can't duplex stock that heavy.

I can see in the near future our need for a more robust machine, anything else out there people would like to have over the iGen?

t-pat

nobody listens to manufacturers ratings. I'm sure someone has put 24 point chip in one of them :)
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Farabomb

I shudder at what we have put through our hedi. We just run it slow and listen to the stock smack it's way through the press.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Grimace

Quote from: t-pat on August 08, 2013, 12:09:46 PMnobody listens to manufacturers ratings. I'm sure someone has put 24 point chip in one of them :)

There it is! We are limited to 17pt stock for ours, it just won't feed to 24pt. but we have some stuff that straddles the line in-between that requires i pull the output by hand to eliminate jamming.

David

run some offset printed sheets through it with press powder on them, that'll fix it right up.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

t-pat

or run freshly aqueous coated sheets through a high speed b&w  like we do, and set off a cloud of ammonia gas strong enough to make your nose hairs fall out. That's what I have to smell every couple days. It actually corrodes critical components in the machine, we're replacing them every month because we never plan well enough to give the sheets the recommended 36 hour cure time. Also ruins the transfer belts.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Grimace

Oh boy, i miss that smell from screen printing t-shirts with discharge ink.  :sarcasm:
The ink reacts with the dryer heat and makes a similar ammonia/chlorox smell.
The print is the bleached out look many of the Affliction shirts sport.