Pantone Digital Library

Started by andyfest, August 09, 2016, 09:47:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyfest

One of our larger clients wants our presses to start using the Pantone 2014 Digital Library as a reference tool for spot colours, rather than the printed Pantone Guide that they use now. Anybody else out there using presses hooked to the digital library? If so, how does it get set up? Is prepress involved in any way? Thanks for any info - can't find much on the googler.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

wonderings

We use the books, that sounds like a huge headache. Monitors must need to be constantly calibrated to be sure it is spot on. What am I missing here, what is the advantage to going to a digital library?

delooch

Quote from: wonderings on August 09, 2016, 12:21:49 PMWe use the books, that sounds like a huge headache. Monitors must need to be constantly calibrated to be sure it is spot on. What am I missing here, what is the advantage to going to a digital library?

Im thinking what you said. Perhaps the advantage is for cost savings for Panotne, to get away from the printed swatch books, i imagine those are a PITA and costly to produce.  As the industry/adobe is moving away from print & focusing more across multi-media, im not surprised.

Joe

So the Pantone 2014 Digital Library is actually loaded into a press?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

andyfest

From what I'm hearing from our QC dept, it's a package that you buy from Pantone for about USD$20K. It comes with a densitometer loaded with the Pantone 2014 Digital Library. You can ask for a specific spot colour and then compare to a spot colour on the printed sheet. It does a comparison of Lab values and shows the difference. Not sure if that will help our press crews. In any case, it seems to be an issue for QC & the press room, so I'm staying far, far away....

Joe

OK then it sounds like this might be the product:

PANTONE Digital Color Libraries for X-RiteColor Master

They do have some details there.

DigiCorn

Not that it comes up that often, but if you have a bridge and the color you're looking for isn't in it, you can get the CMYK build from Pantone's website. It seems to me that that's a new thing, because I thought I had looked before and couldn't find it.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

DigitalCrapShoveler

I find, doesn't matter what kind of handy-dandy software, bells and whistles and froo-froo are on a press. If the press isn't cleaned, maintained and you have a meth-head running it, you will NEVER achieve true linearization, therefore nullifying any software miracle.

Is your press clean? Does the Pressman take pride in his machine? Does he actually know what he's doing? Does he come to Prepress on every job blaming you for HIS problems?

If yes to any of these questions... save the 20K.

This may not be your situation, but every shop I have worked with, it is.
Member #285 - Civilian

andyfest

Agreed DCS. Heidelberg techs that do come in for large fixes almost always point out the fact that the presses are not well maintained by our press crews. Daily maintenance logs are faked to give the impression that maintenance is being done. There have even been cases of deliberate sabotage to enable time off. No pride in our press room - just a bunch of entitled assholes. That's why we are slowly sinking towards oblivion.
:hangme:

Farabomb

What's sad is we have the opposite here. Presroom has nothing but pride in their work and their machine. It's management that couldn't give a shit.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Tracy

Joe

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian

Tracy

Pressman was out for medical once and we were hiring a temp, one pressman came in
and turned right around because of the condition of the press.

Our pressman is a slob, you should see his console, seriously crap all over it
not sure how he finds anything

Possum

Prolly just orders a new one. Once he's gone permanently, you'll probably find four or five of all kinds of tools and such. Oh, so that's where that went, who knew?
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.