This 10.5.5 Mac server is killing me

Started by andyfest, February 24, 2017, 10:53:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyfest

Still having the spinning beach ball of death occasionally as soon as I start typing in our username at the log-in window at I'm just about at wit's end. Server runs ok for a couple of weeks and then the SBBOD shows up at log-in. The issues started when we replaced the Apple RAID HDDs back in March 2016. I noticed also that there is two preference p.list files in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration - one is "preferences.plist.old" which looks like the server is using at startup and the other is just preferences.plist, which hasn't been used since Oct. 2016. I also get a shitload of "ACL found but not expected..." when I do a permissions repair, either using Onyx or Disk Ultility. I've attached 3 screenshots of the plist files in the Preferences folder. Anyone have any ideas what could be causing the SBBOD at log-in as soon as one starts typing?
 :banghead:  
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

Joe

I've seen Apple Launch Services cause issues like this before. Try this:

QuoteReset Launch Services under Leopard

1. Quit all running applications.
2. Trash the following two files in the Macintosh HD > Library > Caches folder:

com.apple.LaunchServices-0230.csstore
com.apple.LaunchServices-023nnn.csstore
where nnn is the User ID number of the affected account.

Type your Admin password if prompted to authenticate the deletion of these files. See Notes [footnote]This step will result in you being prompted to approve the launch of the application associated with a given document the first time you double-click that document. These alerts are a result of the security feature in Mac OS X. The list of applications which you have previously approved are saved in the caches deleted in this step.[/footnote] and [footnote]The first user account defined on your Mac is generally User ID number 501, the second User ID number 502, and so forth. For example, the second file ID for the first account would be:

Under Leopard: com.apple.LaunchServices-023501.csstore
Under Tiger: com.apple.LaunchServices-014501.csstore
Use the instructions in the following table to find the User ID number (Leopard) or uid number (Tiger) for any account:

Mac OS X 10.5 or later:
1. Open System Preferences > Accounts.
2. If the lock icon in the lower-left corner of Accounts is locked, click it and type your Admin account name and password when prompted to authenticate.
3. Control-click the desired account and chose Advanced Options... in the resulting shortcut menu.
4. A sheet appears listing advanced options for the account selected in step 3. Write down the account's User ID number shown in the User ID field.
5. Click Cancel.
6. Quit (Command-Q) System Preferences.[/footnote].

Note: If you upgraded from Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger, this folder may also contain files with file names:

com.apple.LaunchServices-0140.csstore
com.apple.LaunchServices-014nnn.csstore
where nnn represents the User ID numbers of accounts on the Mac. These files can also be deleted as they are leftovers from Tiger.

3. Restart your Mac.
4. Log in to the affected account.
5. If the problem is resolved, skip to step 6. Otherwise:

Trash the com.apple.LaunchServices.plist file in the Home > Library > Preferences folder. See Note [footnote][3] This step will reset to default values all associations you have created between specific file types and applications. For example, if you set PDFs to open in Adobe® Acrobat® instead of Preview, they would now open in Preview again until the association of PDFs with Acrobat is reset.[/footnote].
Repeat steps 1-4.
6. Empty the Trash.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

andyfest

Thanks Joe - I'll give it a try on Monday. Gotta get the hell outta here before head explodes.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

DigiCorn

On that topic, our "server," is just a RAID-4 ReadyNAS connected to the network, and mounted in the rack. You can log in to it via the ip and a web browser, but PrePress isn't allowed to have the username and password, so if we have issues, the only answer is to unplug it and plug it back in. It hangs a lot and when browsing to new folders, it takes a bit to populate. Is there a faster way, or is it what it is?
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

So how do you log in to it if you don't have the username and password? Guest access? That is never good.

We have two Netgear ReadyNAS Pro's and aren't seeing that issue. But I have complete control over it and everyone has to login via our prepress user name and password. I have guest access disabled on it. But the faster way would be to fix the "hanging" issue. It is always better to treat the disease than the symptoms.

DigiCorn

I inherited this computer from the previous guy. It logs in at startup, but I'm not sure if it connects with a username and password or as a guest. The "IT guy," here is an old grump, so you can't ask him anything.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Take a look at this:

[attachimg=1 width=400]

Joe

Also since it is auto mounting at login if you find the user name using the info from the screen above you can find the password in the Mac Keychain app by searching for that username. Then click the 'show password' option and enter your Mac password (assuming that you know it).

[attachimg=1 width=64]

David

Damn Joe, now everyone knows the secret login...    :facepalm:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

DigiCorn

You showed me yours, so it's only fair I show you mine. It doesn't look like yours. Mine shows as a shared folder and not as a server or another computer.

― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

mattbeals

Quote from: DigiCorn on February 24, 2017, 02:15:59 PMOn that topic, our "server," is just a RAID-4 ReadyNAS connected to the network, and mounted in the rack. You can log in to it via the ip and a web browser, but PrePress isn't allowed to have the username and password, so if we have issues, the only answer is to unplug it and plug it back in. It hangs a lot and when browsing to new folders, it takes a bit to populate. Is there a faster way, or is it what it is?

If you really are using RAID-4 I'd be worried that the parity drive dies.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on February 24, 2017, 05:09:03 PMYou showed me yours, so it's only fair I show you mine. It doesn't look like yours. Mine shows as a shared folder and not as a server or another computer.

Change your view from columns to list.

DigiCorn

― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Like this. In List view select the computer name in the left hand column. Then you should see it.