Know any good Itek 430 repair/service places in the Boston area??

Started by Fontaholic, July 21, 2014, 09:44:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Earendil on July 22, 2014, 02:44:19 PMNo kokomo with the matchprint. The sealant we used was laminated after the last burn, gloss or matte.

Yellow first. They gave us a blue pen that you could hit the reg marks with to turn them green for registration but I could register mag to yelo easily without it. The old guys were the only ones that had trouble registering to yellow. Ours was 3M, not Kodak and it looked great. Semi white-light safe. You musta been on an older setup.

Yes, I remember the pen, but I'm telling you, without it in yellow light, impossible to see. Using a pen made the process take that much longer than it already took. I had to do 30 or 40 of these things a night. AFTER I fought 2 racks worth of bullshit jobs, hand-trapping them and hoping the hell the film didn't come out wrong, or bunched up in the processor.

Can we move on to something else? Thinking about proofs makes my head hurt. :laugh:
Member #285 - Civilian

Ear

Okay, I will stop but I'm telling you, mine was white light safe, for a short period of time, maybe up to an hour. Long enough to register on a light table with standard white bulbs. But I will agree; if I had an old system, like you had (with yellow light), then registering yellow would be impossible.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

DigiCorn

Quote from: Earendil on July 22, 2014, 02:48:53 PMDye Sub printers were a real PITA.
Not as bad as a Kodak Approval. The machine was bigger than a backyard shed, and loading the rolls took the patience of Job. Heaven forbid you fuck up the rotation; it took like 40 minutes to generate a new proof.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Ear

True. At least the Dye Sub was a compact little bugger. I named it Bob Marley because it was always Jammin'.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

DigitalCrapShoveler

3M Matchprint... I know the system well, like I said, that came later on, but we called them "Waterless Proofing. Totally different than the Kodak Chromalin. The end result is similar, but the process was different. I don't remember having to laminate them by hand. The machine did it for you. All you had to do was register and burn.
Member #285 - Civilian

DigiCorn

"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Ear

Well the one I used must've been earlier then. It actually had a liquid developer in a separate machine. The laminater was almost a standard laminater... you would manually place a color sheet on, feed it in and peel the coat after it came out. The processor was like a mini plate processor, without a gum stage. Nearly all of it was manual, which is probably why it had the potential to be faster, just more labor intensive and easy to mess up. No waiting. Very hands-on.

It was the 3M system before Matchprint™ was purchased by Kodak.

I also remember when Pagemaker was Aldus, FWIW.  :rolleyes:

DigiCorn

We used to send out for a lot of Matchprints and Rainbows. I've never seen the machine, but I've handled hundred... maybe thousands... of proofs from both.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on July 22, 2014, 03:14:55 PM3M Matchprint... I know the system well, like I said, that came later on, but we called them "Waterless Proofing. Totally different than the Kodak DuPont Chromalin. The end result is similar, but the process was different. I don't remember having to laminate them by hand. The machine did it for you. All you had to do was register and burn.

Fixed
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Ear

@Corn: So would that make you a Rainbow Warrior?  :cheesy:

Ear

Quote from: Joe on July 22, 2014, 03:22:07 PM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on July 22, 2014, 03:14:55 PM3M Matchprint... I know the system well, like I said, that came later on, but we called them "Waterless Proofing. Totally different than the Kodak DuPont Chromalin. The end result is similar, but the process was different. I don't remember having to laminate them by hand. The machine did it for you. All you had to do was register and burn.

Fixed

BAZINGA!

That is funny. It all makes sense. We have a manufacturing plant in town that was originally a 3M film plant. After a few years, it changed to DuPont. Then changed to Kodak. Can't remember what it is now... CareStream or some crap. I think they still make film for x-rays. Although I'm sure that will go away soon too.

DigiCorn

Quote from: Earendil on July 22, 2014, 03:19:38 PMI also remember when Pagemaker was Aldus, FWIW.  :rolleyes:
I remember that too.

We still have original boxes here of old, old software. I think we have Retrospect when it was Dantz, EMC, Roxio and now I don't know who owns them.

Also have several boxes of Zips and Jazzs.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Joe on July 22, 2014, 03:22:07 PM

Fixed

That's right, it was DuPont. Kodak was Approval and 3M was Matchprint. I did them all, from one shop to the next. Your memory is a lot better than mine, Joe. Did you have to look that up?
Member #285 - Civilian

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Earendil on July 22, 2014, 03:19:38 PMWell the one I used must've been earlier then. It actually had a liquid developer in a separate machine. The laminater was almost a standard laminater... you would manually place a color sheet on, feed it in and peel the coat after it came out. The processor was like a mini plate processor, without a gum stage. Nearly all of it was manual, which is probably why it had the potential to be faster, just more labor intensive and easy to mess up. No waiting. Very hands-on.

It was the 3M system before Matchprint™ was purchased by Kodak.

I also remember when Pagemaker was Aldus, FWIW.  :rolleyes:

I can't remember anything anymore. Guess my weed IS better than yours. :tongue:
Member #285 - Civilian