Know any good Itek 430 repair/service places in the Boston area??

Started by Fontaholic, July 21, 2014, 09:44:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ear

Quote from: DigiCorn on July 22, 2014, 03:25:14 PM
Quote from: Earendil on July 22, 2014, 03:19:38 PMI also remember when Pagemaker was Aldus, FWIW.  :rolleyes:
I remember that too.

We still have original boxes here of old, old software. I think we have Retrospect when it was Dantz, EMC, Roxio and now I don't know who owns them.

Also have several boxes of Zips and Jazzs.

Roxio... YA TOAST!

I think we took our zips and Jazz out to the shotgun range. PULL

I did find a couple of SyQuest cassettes not long ago.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on July 22, 2014, 03:34:08 PM
Quote from: Joe on July 22, 2014, 03:22:07 PM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on July 22, 2014, 03:14:55 PM3M Matchprint... I know the system well, like I said, that came later on, but we called them "Waterless Proofing. Totally different than the Kodak DuPont Chromalin. The end result is similar, but the process was different. I don't remember having to laminate them by hand. The machine did it for you. All you had to do was register and burn.

Fixed

That's right, it was DuPont. Kodak was Approval and 3M was Matchprint. I did them all, from one shop to the next. Your memory is a lot better than mine, Joe. Did you have to look that up?

A lot of things I have to look up but DuPont Cromalins is not one of them. I made thousands of those damn things before we got the spiffy new machine that shook the whole building while it was "applying" the toner. Then we got a brand new 3M Matchprint proofer and they never used. Finally set it out on the dock and it rusted away while we continued to make cromalins. Even after we went digital they still output film and made cromalins. I never want to see another Cromalin in this lifetime. Not that I am bitter though. :laugh:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Earendil on July 22, 2014, 03:37:31 PM
Quote from: Earendil on July 22, 2014, 03:19:38 PMI also remember when Pagemaker was Aldus, FWIW.  :rolleyes:
I remember that too.

We still have original boxes here of old, old software. I think we have Retrospect when it was Dantz, EMC, Roxio and now I don't know who owns them.

Roxio... YA TOAST!

I have a few I save in the back for nostalgia purposes.
Member #285 - Civilian

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Joe on July 22, 2014, 03:44:53 PM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on July 22, 2014, 03:34:08 PM
Quote from: Joe on July 22, 2014, 03:22:07 PM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on July 22, 2014, 03:14:55 PM3M Matchprint... I know the system well, like I said, that came later on, but we called them "Waterless Proofing. Totally different than the Kodak DuPont Chromalin. The end result is similar, but the process was different. I don't remember having to laminate them by hand. The machine did it for you. All you had to do was register and burn.

Fixed

That's right, it was DuPont. Kodak was Approval and 3M was Matchprint. I did them all, from one shop to the next. Your memory is a lot better than mine, Joe. Did you have to look that up?

A lot of things I have to look up but DuPont Cromalins is not one of them. I made thousands of those damn things before we got the spiffy new machine that shook the whole building while it was "applying" the toner. Then we got a brand new 3M Matchprint proofer and they never used. Finally set it out on the dock and it rusted away while we continued to make cromalins. Even after we went digital they still output film and made cromalins. I never want to see another Cromalin in this lifetime. Not that I am bitter though. :laugh:

I know the feeling. I had to make them in my underwear that goddamn room would get so hot. :laugh: I worked nights by myself... relax. :tongue:
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

We finally replaced Cromalins with a Kodak Approval. $6,000 every time you needed to fill it with 4 colors of donor material. And it was broke down more than it was working.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

Holy shit. I must be the only one here that has ever used a CREO for "matchprints". It was a dot proofer where I loaded in 4+ sheets (cmyk and up to 2 other colors to represent spots). The machine was a platemaker with a different head. Imaged them all onto a transfer sheet and then it went through a 3M matchprint laminator.

Infinitely easier than all the bullshit you guys had to go through.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigiCorn

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on July 22, 2014, 03:45:29 PM
I remember that too.

Roxio... YA TOAST!

You plan on opening a prepress museum?

I always talk about the SyQuests; they were like an acrylic cased removable hard drive. I remember when we were interviewing potential Art Directors and they would bring in their digital resumes on SyQuests. We had an 88MB that we used to send to service bureaus. Do you remember when you'd get a new SyQuest "disc" and it'd have that rain forest frog game on it?

Remember "daisy chaining," and SCSI identification, along with "terminators?"

...ah... those were the days (best forgotten).

Quote from: Joe on July 22, 2014, 03:47:36 PMWe finally replaced Cromalins with a Kodak Approval. $6,000 every time you needed to fill it with 4 colors of donor material. And it was broke down more than it was working.
Do you still use the Approval? I haven't seen one in about 10 years. It did make a nice proof, so long as you weren't in a hurry.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

DigitalCrapShoveler

I was thinking about this last night... the Kodak system that we used was called Contract, not Approval.

White backing board, laminate magenta, peel off clear, lay down your first neg. UV filter over exposure lamp, expose, remove neg, and process. Next color, yellow, the proof room had yellow light fluorescent light covers so we did M first, register neg to magenta, tape in place and expose. Wash-rinse-repeat for cyan and black. The last burn was for the clear coat. It was laminated in place and rather than use the UV filter, we used a clear filter and exposed. Trim to size and done.

I also remember that anytime that the laminate came off while pulling off the clear, you could put it in the processor and it would rinse off the laminate so you didn't have to start all over again. Also, before you put the clear coat down, that was the time you picked any trash or air bubbles out.

Now that I have completely relived this nightmare, it makes the tornado not seem so bad. :rolleyes:
Member #285 - Civilian

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: DigiCorn on July 23, 2014, 08:13:26 AM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on July 22, 2014, 03:45:29 PM
I remember that too.

Roxio... YA TOAST!

You plan on opening a prepress museum?

I always talk about the SyQuests; they were like an acrylic cased removable hard drive. I remember when we were interviewing potential Art Directors and they would bring in their digital resumes on SyQuests. We had an 88MB that we used to send to service bureaus.

Remember "daisy chaining," and SCSI identification, along with "terminators?"

...ah... those were the days (best forgotten).

Quote from: Joe on July 22, 2014, 03:47:36 PMWe finally replaced Cromalins with a Kodak Approval. $6,000 every time you needed to fill it with 4 colors of donor material. And it was broke down more than it was working.
Do you still use the Approval? I haven't seen one in about 10 years. It did make a nice proof, so long as you weren't in a hurry.

Maybe, never thought about it.

Yes, I remember all that crap. Terminators, daisy chains, 44s, 88s, 200s, 105s, 250s, EZ-135s, Opticals, Floppies-the big ones, Thanks Born, the small ones, the smaller ones, Zips, Jazzs... and we had to have them all. My 840 AV with a 2 GB HD was the absolute finest machine money could buy, and I had every one of those peripherals chained together next to it. My 19 " Sony monitor, that weighed about 150 pounds... that brings back a lot of old memories.
Member #285 - Civilian

DigiCorn

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on July 23, 2014, 08:21:18 AMMy 19 " Sony monitor, that weighed about 150 pounds... that brings back a lot of old memories.
This place still had 19" Sony CRTs in 2008 when I started here. All the CRTs are gone now.

I used to peruse the MacMall catalogs back in the early '90s. There were SyQuests, the early Zips, and Bernoullis. In all my years, I have never come across a Bernoulli.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: DigiCorn on July 23, 2014, 08:28:29 AM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on July 23, 2014, 08:21:18 AMMy 19 " Sony monitor, that weighed about 150 pounds... that brings back a lot of old memories.
This place still had 19" Sony CRTs in 2008 when I started here. All the CRTs are gone now.

I used to peruse the MacMall catalogs back in the early '90s. There were SyQuests, the early Zips, and Bernoullis. In all my years, I have never come across a Bernoulli.

You know, either have I. I guess that makes us Twinkies.
Member #285 - Civilian

DigiCorn

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on July 23, 2014, 08:30:46 AM
Quote from: DigiCorn on July 23, 2014, 08:28:29 AM

You know, either have I. I guess that makes us Twinkies.
I heard they were popular in the South... something to do with the humidity. In the arid West dry climates, the discs were subject to static charges that made them unreliable.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

DigitalCrapShoveler

Most of that media was unreliable. I couldn't count the times I had to call the customer because some font, or support file went corrupt.

Those opticals sometimes could take over 2 hours to copy over... the 200 Syquest drive would read 88s and 44s, but when copied, slow as molasses. Same with the Syquest 250. Trapping was a pain in the ass, RIP times crawled on anything with a PS file in it... proofs took forever to do, scanning was a chore, but you know what... I loved every minute of it.

Today, it's more about pumping out work so fast to get it on press, the biggest problem I have is people, and by people I mean, the CSR, the Sales Pukes AND the customer not looking at their proofs. It's so bad, I don't even know why we bother to run them.
Member #285 - Civilian

DigiCorn

We only had the 88, but I remember one time the courier dropping a cartridge in the case, and it never working again.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Possum

My home computer still has a Zip drive. I remember SyQuests, the 5 inch floppies and the 7 or 8 inch ones without a hard case. Really had to be careful with them.

Aldus Pagemaker? I used to use it straight out of DOS, before Windows came along.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.