Image Libraries in Q9

Started by Slappy, October 01, 2013, 01:21:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slappy

We've got one client who is going to be doing a LOT of work in the coming months & I'll need to place various combinations of Union bugs, recycled logos, Indicias, etc. I've already done this with InDesign & it's fantastic, in Quark - not so much.

I've made a Library with all of the logos, but it looks like this:

I can barely see the difference between some of the logos, and there's no way to display a name, description or anything, or even make the thumbnails larger. Anybody know of an XTension to do this better, or just any way really that's not total crap??

fwiw, here's how InDesign's panel looks:

A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Joe

You poor, poor, bastid! :laugh:

j/k...

Quark 9? Never moved past 8 and haven't used Quark libraries since Quark 4.

So to sum up...I'm no help at all. :undecided:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

t-pat

why does that look like you are running system 7??
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

David

that's how the NEW quark looks...

Exciting new trends in timeless age old designs
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

DigiCorn

Maybe make a second version in .png that will sit side-by-side (presumably) because it has the same file name, different file extension?
[edit]or make the .eps images into high res .tif or 2400dpi bitmaps?
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

David

was checking on that and found that others have the same comment...  small thumbnails, crappy view, and no tags to identify the objects.

why do I find that funny?
Livin' la Vida Loca

Slappy

Ah fuck it, I'll just try to remember what's what when we're slamming 8-10 jobs an hour through that all have to be on press ASAP!!!!  :hangme:
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Joe

Just pick one. If it is wrong they can just reprint it later when they have more time. :sarcasm:

Joe

This is from Quark 8 so not sure if it will help with Q9:

QuoteLabeling library entries
Once you label one library entry, you can use that label for other entries. Alternatively, you can give each of your library entries a unique name. To label library entries:
Double-click a library entry to display the Library Entry dialog box.
Enter a descriptive name in the Label field or choose one from the Label list. To rename a library entry, enter in a new label or choose a different label from the list.
Click OK.

Displaying library entries by label
To display entries by label, click the drop-down menu (Mac OS) or Labels menu (Windows) in the upper left corner of a Library palette. Choose labels to display associated entries.

The menu lists All, Unlabeled, and any labels you created and applied to entries.
You can choose more than one label to display multiple categories of entries; a checkmark displays next to each selected label.
If you choose more than one label on Mac OS, Mixed Labels is displayed in the drop-down menu. When you select the Labels menu on Windows, a checkmark displays next to labels displayed in the palette.
To view all library entries, regardless of label, choose All.
To view entries to which no label has been applied, choose Unlabeled. You can choose Unlabeled in addition to other labels.
To hide entries to which a label is applied, choose the label again.

David

that still works for Quark 9, I just found out.

:woohoo:

:sarcasm:
Livin' la Vida Loca

gnubler

Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Slappy

Except what they term "Labels" are really more like tags, a method for filtering out what's shown. It does nothing to make it easier to see wtf is in that little thumbnail. Half-baked bullshit like I would expect from nobody else but Quark.

Quote from: gnubler on October 01, 2013, 04:05:44 PMFuck quark.
:goodpost:

gnubler

Seriously, it's garbage. I've spent more hours converting from q to Indy because it works out better in the long run. Your average quark user probably doesn't use the Library or even know what it's for, so why would quark care?

I use Libraries in Indy on a daily basis...if it sucked like that I would just shoot myself.  :shoots_self:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Slappy

The merits of one over the other aren't up for debate here - this client uses Quark and these jobs turn on a fucking dime. Seriously, something that arrives at 6:30pm needs to be on press for first shift next day, and with revisions quite often. Converting & futzing around are't even options, I'm just trying to shave off a few steps where I can.

They do work like a champ in InDy, I almost wish I hadn't found them & know great they CAN be. Damn you QUUUUUUAAARK!!!!

DCurry

Might be worth just placing them all in a separate document at a size where you can see them, then copy and paste as needed. Not ideal, but at least you can see what's what.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!