...and so it begins...

Started by DigiCorn, April 26, 2013, 08:58:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiCorn

Here come the new client and their fucking q9 files. Already the first job has changes... only the email states:

Quote...there will be more than these changes. I am unclear at this time exactly what they are.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

David

just to be clear... we will be unclear from here on out.

okthanx
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Slappy

As long as everybody is on the same page - what's to worry about?
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

born2print

How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

gnubler

Nice work!

You should tell the client you are unclear about why they chose to fucking use fucking quark to begin with.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

born2print

Quote from: gnubler on April 26, 2013, 12:56:18 PMNice work!

You should tell the client you are unclear about why they chose to fucking use fucking quark to begin with.
Fo real. We have a client wanted a rerun with changes to a big nasty poster in Quack that barely ripped last time. When I said sure, but it's cheaper if they do the alts they said they can't because they don't have Quark any longer. How do you un-own Quark and where do I sign up?

t-pat

Quote from: born2print on April 26, 2013, 01:02:05 PM

Fo real. We have a client wanted a rerun with changes to a big nasty poster in Quack that barely ripped last time. When I said sure, but it's cheaper if they do the alts they said they can't because they don't have Quark any longer. How do you un-own Quark and where do I sign up?

Sign up here, we've managed to hold off buying any more versions of quark, and as people upgrade we'll be able to tell them "sorry, but if you can get a usable pdf out of that pile of shit we'll gladly try to rip it, but we can't do anything with your natives unless you feel like downsaving it to 8 and then we can laugh at your inability to get with a layout program made for the current century"

edit: but we still take Publisher and Pagemaker.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

DigiCorn

Anyone else besides me using the FontWizard XT XTension?
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on April 26, 2013, 02:20:52 PMAnyone else besides me using the FontWizard XT XTension?

No. You are the only one. :tongue:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

born2print

Quote from: t-pat on April 26, 2013, 02:17:00 PM

Sign up here, we've managed to hold off buying any more versions of quark, and as people upgrade we'll be able to tell them "sorry, but if you can get a usable pdf out of that pile of shit we'll gladly try to rip it, but we can't do anything with your natives unless you feel like downsaving it to 8 and then we can laugh at your inability to get with a layout program made for the current century"

For the first time in history we are trying the same, "sorry, v8 or below or PDF, no plan to buy V9 because we only get a few jobs per year"
We'll see though, we've already received 3-4 of them and it's April  :ninja: :ninja: :ninja:

DigiCorn

Quote from: Joe on April 26, 2013, 02:31:31 PM
Quote from: DigiCorn on April 26, 2013, 02:20:52 PMAnyone else besides me using the FontWizard XT XTension?

No. You are the only one. :tongue:
It makes .eps and .pdf from the q that actually "work"

[edit] if anyone interested, it's available here: http://www.jolauterbach.com/products/fontwizard.htm

It's $69 for new users (uh, huh huh... sixty nine), $49 for an upgrade from an older version. Just had to upgrade today.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

t-pat

Quote from: born2print on April 26, 2013, 02:36:59 PM

For the first time in history we are trying the same, "sorry, v8 or below or PDF, no plan to buy V9 because we only get a few jobs per year"
We'll see though, we've already received 3-4 of them and it's April  :ninja: :ninja: :ninja:
I bet it works for you. We've been doing that for over a year and they do manage to figure it out.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Joe

Quote from: t-pat on April 26, 2013, 04:20:43 PM
Quote from: born2print on April 26, 2013, 02:36:59 PM

I bet it works for you. We've been doing that for over a year and they do manage to figure it out.

ditto

ditto

It's either a PDF from Quark or they'll have to take it somewhere else or give me a version 8 file and live with the knowledge of what I'm saying about them.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

Quote from: born2print on April 26, 2013, 01:02:05 PMHow do you un-own Quark and where do I sign up?

Delete, empty trash. Buh bye quark!
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

frailer

Q2ID, perhaps? OK, there's pic box wraparound/drop shadow stuff. A few other things. But give me walking carefully with a Q2ID'd file any day to actually opening it in Never Never Land.
Not as though it's expensive, on the scale of things.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.