Text moves when box is duped

Started by DCurry, September 28, 2018, 03:02:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DCurry

Anyone interested in a weird one? I have an ID CC2018 file - there is a text box with 1 line of type. If you open the file and make sure you can see the guides, try to copy/paste in place or do a step and repeat at zero offsets or any other method you can think of to duplicate the text box and you'll notice that the text of the dupe is no longer sitting on the guide - it is below the guide.

I've checked everything I can think of - there is no text wrap, no space before/after, nothing. There are hard returns before and after the line of text, but that shouldn't have any bearing on it at all.

File attached if anyone feels like looking.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Joe

Not sure what it is but there is something funky going on in that text box.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DPSprint

The only thing I can see that it has is the alignment is set to align bottom... maybe that is having some influence when you copy and paste or duplicate it?
when you drag the original box bigger it stays in position but if you drag it smaller it jumps to the bottom of the frame

PrepressPrison

My guess..,

The hard return below the type is set to an AUTO leading. Since the type is set to align to the bottom, your letting the AUTO function drive the positioning.
 If you type a character on that lower line, it changes to a 16pt leading and will act normally when copied.

wonderings

Might be a glitch in Indesign when set to bottom. I set the text to top and copied and pasted in place and it does not move, only when set to bottom does it show the issue.

Also getting rid of the extra lines in the text box makes everything work as it should. Not sure why it is set that way in a text box.

DCurry

These are all things I noticed as well. Regardless of any alignment or auto leading settings, a duped box should be identical to the original.

Not really sweating it too much - just wanted everyone to see it in case anyone ever encounters it themselves.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Tracy

The leading on the text is 13 but the paragraph return is 16
only thing I see

Tracy

That is really weird maybe post it on InDesign secrets.

It's the line below the paragraph return that changes
It has a .125 before space- before copying and then a 0 before space after copying

I typed some text in the original to see the .125 before space, If you copy after typing the before space is honored
weird

:laugh: I columbo'd it

Rabid

We used to have a problem with a customer setting their own baseline grid.
Pasted text boxes would have the text move to align to the grid.
Its under text frame options and Custom Baseline Grid.

DCurry

Good thought, but that's not causing the issue.