InDes not launching

Started by frailer, December 15, 2011, 01:37:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

7.0.4. (CS5). I think it may be Font Explorer, as it's trying to hook up with Indesign (shoulda disabled it  :embarrassed: ), and FEX not launching either.
Have run applejack. Can do again. Scant info from Console.
Dump Prefs? Both apps.?  What's the key hold-down again David?   :cheesy: (or I'll move em to desktop...)

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Key combo for Indy is CTRL+SHIFT+OPTION+COMMAND and start Indy. I don't think that works with FEX though.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

2330 here... just got in, but at least been out. Been the day from hell; other stuff as well. Shall try Prefs dump in the morn.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

gnubler

Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

frailer

I did. But further constructive suggestions are welcome.

David

Frailer, did the pref dump do any good?

do you have FEX set to auto load the fonts?
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Ear

"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

frailer

About to tackle, after some other 'issues' sorted...  :rolleyes:

I've dumped some fonts I had in the Indy Fonts folder. Can I dump that (dot)lst safely?

David

Quote from: frailer on December 15, 2011, 03:22:05 PMI've dumped some fonts I had in the Indy Fonts folder. Can I dump that (dot)lst safely?

yes, it's just leftovers
Livin' la Vida Loca

frailer

Done. Here's my next move. I think Indys an innocent by-stander. I don't have auto activation on, but I think (a dodgy/corrupted) FEX is trying to talk to it when you try and launch Indy. Stupid tripwire.
About to go to FEX site and see what updates are in place. Maybe an overwrite of the current one (I'm on paid version), will fix it. The don't call me Paulyanna for nothin'.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Is it a specific file, or every file you try to open?
Member #285 - Civilian

frailer

Just a 'cold' launch. I have a horrible feeling that it's a PICNIC problem. Been a bit slack on preventative maintenance, and thought "I know, I'll launch FEX, and run the Tools. I ran the 1st one, which I think is 'Clean System Fonts'... troubles started then, I think.
having said that, yesterday was a wrtched blur... I may be hallucinating. production getting in the way right now.
No sign of wonkiness anywhere else.
I did do a write-over of the a downloaded FEX 3.1. No dice. I'll have time to tinker this afternoon. There's always Indy on the other iMac. I consider myself overdue on such an event; so am philosophical.
Next trick is to uninstall FEX with AppCleaner. See if Indy will launch without  it there. If it does, I'll re-install from the DMG.

frailer

Progress. Moved FEX Plugin onto Desktop. Indy startup successful. I wonder if I can just not worry about it. Can still activate fonts if I need to, with FEX. Plugin not a prerequisite, correct?

Shall now uninstall FEX, install downloaded one. Shall make sure plugin not loaded for Indy.

David

I never load those plug ins, I just don't like it loading fonts I don't want to use.
Livin' la Vida Loca

DigitalCrapShoveler

I wonder if somehow he has a missing , or corrupt system font. Hey, Cap... how are your other apps running? IS this only specific to InDesign and FEX?
Member #285 - Civilian